• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Fear at the Big Conference

In summary, Bill and Sarah are both very shy and are afraid of meeting new people. They both want to overcome their fears at the big conference, but they both have different strategies. Bill recommends engaging others and Sarah recommends going for it.
Bill Faber
Gold Member
Ok so the big conference is coming up and I have to admit I am getting a bit nervous about the whole thing. I dont do well in meeting lots of new people. I tend to be very very shy. I am going with my director and others that I know but I know that one advance director that is going with us wanted me to get out and meet people at the Spring Launch so I am afraid that I will be even more scared in the HUGE setting.

How do you overcome that? There must be others with similar fears or phobias and how have they overcome that? I am doing a show because I am there working. I keep telling myself that I need to think of it as that, however doing that is not working. I get a bit anxious with the thought.

I want this to be the catalyst for me to taking my business to the next level so I am really hoping for good things from conference. Any help you might have would be appreciated. :cry:

You just do it!!! PC has brought that out in me because I just finally did it! It's so easy to find new people to talk to!

Bill, I am much the same way. I actually avoid situations because there'll be more people I don't know than those I do. However, I realize the only way to get to know people is to actually get and and meet them! Think about your personal life. Do you have friends, real friends who love you and want to spend time with you? Do you have family who look forward to being with you? Then, you must be special enough for people to enjoy your company. I guarantee there will be new friends to make at NC. Even better with the people at NC - THEY won't know all your past foibles and faux pas, so they can't hold things over your head for a laugh. Well, until next year, anyway!Remember, too, you don't have to impress the thousands who will be there. Just get to know one or two people. That's what I did last year (my first), and walked away with good friends (*waving at Laurie - who's name I get to scream as she walks the stage!*).Also, if you're not already on Facebook, get on now. There are a TON of Cheffers there, so you'll feel like you already know several people by the time Conference starts, even though you haven't met in real life. You can find me as Sarah Cutler Rodriguez.

Bill, you might consider the buddy system. Fear of meeting new people has never been one of my issues, but I know several people who struggle with that. The security of having a friend with you can help you to break the ice with others. Here are a few questions to get conversations started:What is your best tip for someone new?What part of your PC business do you love most? Why?What three things have you learned so far that you can't wait to try once you get home?Where are you from? What struggles do you think that presents to your PC business?The most important thing is just to make sure you engage others. Take your buddy and sit with people you don't know. At meals look for a table with only 1 or 2 people. Ask to join them.

pampchefsarah said:
Remember, too, you don't have to impress the thousands who will be there. Just get to know one or two people. That's what I did last year (my first), and walked away with good friends (*waving at Laurie - who's name I get to scream as she walks the stage!*).

Can I just wave back and say I love you!?! I just may hear you and get all teary eyed as I walk the stage. Thanks so much for your support and for cheering me on....it makes the experience so much more meaningful. :love:

Bill....it is a bit overwhelming, but just focus on those around you. On the bus (which is how Sarah and I spoke and gushed on our way to the HO Tour). Do approach the smaller crowd so as not to feel like the 5th wheel. Some may not be open, oh well....you will meet some fabulous people who understand that sharing and meeting is part of what make NC so great.

One of my all time favorite experiences last year was meeting this WONDERFUL consultant on the shuttle ride to the hotel. I am SOOOOO bummed that I lost her ctc info! Anyhow....we both missed meeting up with our group and saw each other standing in the lobby. We walked and found a fab tapas restaurant....shared dinner and a bottle of wine and talked for a couple of hours. She had some great tips and we both truly enjoyed ourselves.

I'm looking forward to the meet n greet monday night....another perfect opportunity to meet.

Take a deep breath.....say hi and see where it leads!

One more thing, Bill - watch for Cheffers wearing their pins! Walk up to one of us, and you'll have an instant friend - and, get to meet people through them.

Sarah I just friended you on FB.

It is my first time too. I can be shy too, but honestly at stuff like this, I completly lose my fear and love stepping outside my box. Whenever I get to be away from my family and outside of my mom role I feel like I am back in college and I just love it.

Bill, you have TONS of friends already.....you're part of a huge group of extremely happy people, lol! There will be so much positive energy that your nervousness will just melt away. You will be among some of the most loving, caring people in the world so just BREATHE, soak it all in, re-invent yourself at Conference and watch your business take off. Congratulations of making the decision to attend and, well, I don't know how successful I'll be but I promise to try to find you and say hello!

Bill - YES, YES, YES get to the meet and Greet. We all think of our selves as friends out here so you do know a lot of us. Not our faces but you already know most of us are a bunch of down to earth, nut bags!

lesliec said:
Sarah I just friended you on FB.

Leslie, send the request again! I "ignored" it, because I didn't know who it was, and we didn't have any friends in common. I KNEW the name was someon's name with the letters scrambled!

pampchefsarah said:
Think about your personal life.

Well actually Sarah, I am quite shy in a party setting. If I am in a social setting I become the WALLFLOWER. When I was single and all of that I used to think I am going to be single forever because if it means going up and talking to people then I am never going to do that. I would rather shrivel up and die. When my partner and I go to a party I dont go around and talk to people that I dont know. Its just my phobia even today.

I am fine with working, its strange really because I have been a Flight attendant and worked at WDW at the Front Desk so you would think that I could talk to anyone. But its different talking to people at work. And sociallizing in that type of setting. I clam up and retreat into myself.

Its funny my 25 year class reunion is this year and we moved to the high school I graduated from when I was a junior. DID not help me with this. Do you know what one of the girls remembered about me..... I was the SHY guy. LOL needless to say I AM NOT GOING TO THE 25 YEAR CLASS REUNION. :yuck:

I just have to work on it but I am terrifed that my director and the advance director will be so pushy on getting me to try and meet others that I will just be horrified. I just want to learn and absorb and I know I have to do that but each of us does that differently.

ChefVal said:
Bill, you have TONS of friends already.....you're part of a huge group of extremely happy people, lol! There will be so much positive energy that your nervousness will just melt away. You will be among some of the most loving, caring people in the world so just BREATHE, soak it all in, re-invent yourself at Conference and watch your business take off. Congratulations of making the decision to attend and, well, I don't know how successful I'll be but I promise to try to find you and say hello!

LOL Well I am BALD BILL from Florida. I always use that so at least being a male it is easier because we are so low numbered. Much easier then me trying to find any of you LOL.:eek:

Bill, I'm the weird little woman with flippy red hair. I won't be wearing my Post Slut Slippers, though, so you might have difficulty recognizing me. Chances are good, though, that you'll hear me before you see me. Listen for a loud laugh or a Betty Rubble giggle. ;)

Bill -
I tend to be quiet too... unless I am teaching students or doing a cooking show. I guess I can put it aside to "work". I hope that no one is too pushy on you to mingle. I can't stand when people are pushy like that. You will mingle if you are ready and feel the need to. Look for CS pinned people. I am sure we will all be willing to let you stand with us and welcome you.

I hope too that no one in your group is that way. It is hard enough but when one gets pushed, you go in the opposite direction and we would all hate to see that for you. I used to be horrible in social settings myself. Sounds odd but I was never good at school in those terms unless I had hung out with you for ages! I could take over a 4-H meeting, do public speaking and demos but if you told me I had to "mingle", well, I would simply fall apart and disappear. That I was told is not being shy, but a deeper issue with being comfortable with ones self. I know, sounds funny as I am very outspoken out here but you will usually find me hiding near the backs of the class rooms close to the doors in the NC sessions! I hate the "group" interaction stuff. I am so afraid that I will make a fool of myself if I voice an opinion or an idea that I would rather die! It amounts to being to overly self conscious and having been told for many, many, years that I am a "dummy", "stupid", "don't know what you are talking about", shall I continue? I found though that everyone out here just puts up with it and I have never been told that is stupid or a dumb idea but rather nicely redirected and I think that is why I can interact on a personal level with everyone out here. Because of PC, I found that I could literally bloom and grow. You will do fine any way you want to do it. Oh just so you know, there is a men's room on the lowest level of Lakeside Center. I am telling you this because it is a good place to go if you need to regroup as it is very secluded! (If you gotta get away or hide, that's the place to be!)

Yeah, I won't find you if you're hanging out in the men's room. LOL!Honestly, while I am very outgoing, I know that social situations are very uncomfortable for a lot of people. Trying to force someone to mingle is like trying to force someone to be happy. It doesn't work. I certainly hope you won't feel that pressure from anyone.I frequently mention interacting with others at NC simply because it's too easy to get caught up in the group-think of doing everything together with your cluster.

Plus, we ladies usually hog all the restrooms on the upper floors!

Hi Bill, hope all these tips help....I've been lurking in this thread, because I really relate to it. Typing is easy, mingling not so much, though I have gotten much better in the last year.Like John, I'm good at speaking to the group, but mingling is harder, Whenever I can I try to get a job that gives me an excuse to talk to people, like volunteering to check people in, pass out flyers, etc--then the next time i see each person I already know them! And because I am doing a "job" I don't feel nervous the first time.so after 20 years of doing that, I have finally gotten a bit better, don't always need a job. One of Rae's tips was to think of things you want to learn. If you find an awkward silence, you can always say, oh-I promised myself I'd ask for people's best ______(recruiting tip, recipe, host coaching experience,etc)Plus, it might help to remember that there are a lot of us and we like you--all these "strangers" will be lucky to meet you!

BlueMoon said:
Hi Bill, hope all these tips help....

Plus, it might help to remember that there are a lot of us and we like you--all these "strangers" will be lucky to meet you!

:blushing: Well thanks for that. I can talk on the computer it is easy to do that. I think that is the curse of my generation. We were brought up communicating on the internet and it makes personel interaction harder...... I can do this but then the meeting is horrifying. But I am going to do like it was said and try to get to know a few people. I will make it my mission to leave conference with 3-4 good connections.

If I can do that then I will feel like I have been successful because I will have learned knowledge from some people who have other skillsets which will help me to take my business further...... which leads to another topic.

What can I expect at the Big Conference?

At the Big Conference, you can expect to learn valuable business skills, network with other consultants, and hear inspiring speakers. You will also have the opportunity to attend workshops and product demonstrations.

How can I prepare for the Big Conference?

To prepare for the Big Conference, be sure to pack comfortable shoes and clothes, as there will be a lot of walking and standing. Bring a notebook and pen to take notes during workshops and sessions. Also, make a list of any questions or concerns you have beforehand to make the most of your time at the conference.

I am anxious about attending the Big Conference. How can I overcome my fear?

It is normal to feel anxious before attending a large event like the Big Conference. To overcome your fear, remind yourself of the valuable knowledge and connections you will gain from attending. Take deep breaths and focus on the present moment. Also, try to connect with other consultants beforehand to have a familiar face at the conference.

Will there be food provided at the Big Conference?

Yes, there will be food provided at the Big Conference. There will be breakfast, lunch, and snacks available for purchase at the conference venue. You can also bring your own snacks if you have any dietary restrictions.

What should I bring to the Big Conference?

Along with comfortable clothes and a notebook, it is recommended to bring business cards to network with other consultants and potential customers. If you have a smartphone or tablet, you may also want to bring it to take notes or access the Pampered Chef app.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kreaser
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • PCLaurel
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • Chef Bobby