• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director What do you do to ensure hotel rooms are filled for conferences?

In summary, many people are still looking to book hotel rooms for the conference, but there seems to be a shortage. The economy may be to blame.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
It seems to me that there are a ton more people still looking to fill their hotel rooms this year than ever before. Usually that has pretty much died down by the deadline for canceling the room. So many are backing out, at least that's how it sounds. What do you think is going on? Economy?I require those who book into my rooms to pay a deposit and then the balance before cancellation deadline if they have never stayed with us in the past (non-refundable if the spot isnt filled) and I make it clear to all roommates that it's their responsibility to pay their part of the room whether they come or not. It's not fair to the rest of the roommates to have to pay extra because someone didn't show. Of course, if someone cancels we do our best to fill the spot and have done that a few times. If I don't have their payment by the deadline to cancel I call to remind them of their commitment and if the room isn't full I consolidate rooms with other directors. That way we don't have the panic that I am seeing on all the loops.What do you all do to get and keep your rooms full?

I book a room every year the day it opens with the intention of being alone. Then I feel around for 1 other girl to share it with. She has to be someone I'm comfortable with, If I don't find someone then I'm alone. I know its expensive, but the thought of sleeping with someone I don't/barely know is too much for me. I don't want to sleep in a double bed with my husband, let alone with a stranger. Also the thought of 3-4 women all shaing 1 bathroom & trying to get out the same time is way too crazy first thing in the morning. I hope this doesn't make me sound crazy! :D

No that certainly doesn't make you sound crazy. Everyone has their preferences and comfort levels and we all need to do what works for me. :sun:

ETA: Men don't double (or is it quadruple) up like we do. Women are funny. We look at the $$ and try to save however we can - I would guess for some they are doing it to make conference affordable in their husband's eyes and others to make it so they can go. My thought on it is that we use the room for sleeping and are hardly in there and if I can get a downtown Chicago room for just over $50 a night I'm doing it. Last year I got a 2 bed room at a non-conference hotel for me and one other consultant at the same rate a room with 4 people in a conference hotel would have cost but we ended up canceling it to help another director fill her room. Whatever works!

I also come in a day early, because I LOVE Shedd Aquarium & The Navy Pier & If I don't go to them I feel like I wasn't in Chicago... :D They are also both GREAT places for souvenirs! :D

Less are going this year or in our area. Our Exec. said she usually has way over 100 go and we only have 20-30 going this year. My personal team had 6 interested the beginning of the year and then when it came time to commit, no one. Just me going. In my opinion the economy has really started to hit here. I'm pulling my eyes out to get bookings, which has never been an issue before. Show totals have been low too (some nice but most lower than I'm used to)

We have room for 2 more in our room, but gave up looking as it doesn't seem there is anyone looking.

I have my usual 3 going, so it'll be the 4 of us sharing a room. Since we're in Chicago, my 3 aren't coming in until Thurs am, but I'm going down Weds night. My plan had been to room with a fellow director I do meetings with. For a couple months, I was just confirming and re-confirming that I had a space with her for just that one night because she had room. I just had a feeling..... Well, wouldn't you know it, TWO days ago she returns an email I sent her checking in about details, what time she's going to get there, will my name be on the room so I can check in and I get an email back starting with "Becky, I have some bad news...." To be honest, it wasn't much of a surprise. And I'm sure I could have scrounged around to find a room, but wasn't much in the mood to room with people whom I may not have known.

So..... I did priceline.com to name my own price for just that one night! I had plans to take the train downtown before dinner because I was meeting a friend for dinner who works in the loop. I got what looks to be an AWESOME hotel for just $75!! (http://www.thewithotel.com) That's unheard of for downtown Chicago, especially in the loop. I'm just about 3 blocks away from my friends office, so we can find somewhere very easy and convenient to go for dinner. I would have been staying at the Hyatt at McCormick Place with this other director friend, so this works out WAY better. And I'm just a 4 blocks or so from the Sheraton, so I can walk there and hop a shuttle to McCormick Place on Thurs morning. And I get to stay in a hotel room by myself!!! I'm actually really excited! I don't know if I've ever been in a room by myself. And the hotel has a rooftop bar. IT's a block away from where I used to live years ago (Marina Towers) and my brother-in-law still lives there so maybe we'll meet for a drink after I see my friend for dinner.

I'm excited! I can't believe Conference is in less than a week!! It'll be interesting to see how different it'll be this day.

What is a conference hotel space?

A conference hotel space is a designated area within a hotel that is specifically designed and equipped to host conferences, meetings, and other business events.

What amenities are typically included in a conference hotel space?

Conference hotel spaces often include amenities such as audio-visual equipment, high-speed internet access, seating and tables, and catering services. Some may also have dedicated meeting planners and support staff available to assist with event planning and coordination.

How do I reserve a conference hotel space?

To reserve a conference hotel space, you can typically contact the hotel's event planning or sales department directly. You may also be able to make a reservation online or through a third-party event planning service.

What factors should I consider when choosing a conference hotel space?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a conference hotel space include the location and accessibility of the hotel, the size and layout of the event space, the available amenities and services, and the overall cost and budget for the event.

Can I host other types of events in a conference hotel space?

While conference hotel spaces are primarily designed for business events, they may also be suitable for other types of events such as weddings, parties, or seminars. However, it is best to discuss your specific needs and requirements with the hotel's event planning team to ensure the space is suitable for your event.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pckelly
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
chefkathy
  • PampMomof3
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • PampMomof3