• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

C: Budgeting for Attending a Conference in 2008

In summary, Conference costs $200 per person to register, $50 per night for hotel, and $300 in cash to spend. Conference club is a way to offset costs and receive a $250 gift certificate or $300 in conference cash.
PCSarahjm
I am planning to attend Conference in 2008....so can anyone that has went before tell me what the cost is? Like registration, hotel, how much spending money....etc. I will have to start saving now. Do you use conference club on cc?
TIa

Registration is $200 next year
Hotel depends on how many you put in a room. If you put 4 in a room, it's ~$50 a night
Food--you'll need money for one dinner on the first day and lunch on the last day, the rest of the meals are included. Depending on how early you arrive or how late you leave, you may need more.

You may want extra spending money for drinks and snacks in between or to buy from the licensed vendors and speakers and paperwork.

I would DEFINITELY register for Conference Club on CC (if it's available yet). Also keep in mind we can usually earn money off conference through a consultant promotion in January.

Conference club is the way to go

What is the benefit of conference club. HO just takes money out of our commission and sets it aside right? No interest is earned on the money, is it? For someone who is good at saving money for things, is there really any benefit?

DebbieJ said:
Registration is $200 next year
Hotel depends on how many you put in a room. If you put 4 in a room, it's ~$50 a night
Food--you'll need money for one dinner on the first day and lunch on the last day, the rest of the meals are included. Depending on how early you arrive or how late you leave, you may need more.

You may want extra spending money for drinks and snacks in between or to buy from the licensed vendors and speakers and paperwork.

I would DEFINITELY register for Conference Club on CC (if it's available yet). Also keep in mind we can usually earn money off conference through a consultant promotion in January.
Another expense is travel. The cost depends on where you live and the deal you can find on airfare or if you can drive. I budget about $200 for that.

sfdavis918 said:
What is the benefit of conference club. HO just takes money out of our commission and sets it aside right? No interest is earned on the money, is it? For someone who is good at saving money for things, is there really any benefit?
You're correct. But many people aren't as disciplined, so setting it aside, even without interest, is still a good idea. :)

Also, the "usually" for earning it in January is only for the past couple of years. That's a relatively new concept from HO, although it's one that I think is a good idea. And I hope it continues.

Sarah one of the added benefits of Conference Club is that you automatically get early bird registration even if you don't register before the early bird deadline.

Thanks everyone.... I will be making plans. Hopefully I can get a few recruits to share the room cost with...

BethCooks4U said:
Another expense is travel. The cost depends on where you live and the deal you can find on airfare or if you can drive. I budget about $200 for that.

Oops. Forgot about that one since I just hop on the commuter train and am downtown in 1 hr. :)

I used about $500-$600 for conference. That includes EVERYTHING...including splurging when going out to eat (I am a foodie and love different things, so would order something normally I wouldn't get cuz it was too expensive...plus would order dessert to share!) and splurging a TON on Merrill (bought 5 shirts, a jacket, license plate holder) and getting some recipe cards and mini cattys from HO. Plus, that includes our hotel (we had 4 in our room...but had TWO BATHROOMS!! Yea! and my portion of the gas (which was about $60) I could have easily cut $100 off of that if I was being thrifty!

I would think Kelly is about right. I would expect at least $500. It's always nice to plan for more and have extra.

PCSarahjm said:
I am planning to attend Conference in 2008....so can anyone that has went before tell me what the cost is? Like registration, hotel, how much spending money....etc. I will have to start saving now. Do you use conference club on cc?
TIa

I am thinking from your signature that you have been in less than a year. Don't forget about the Incentive Trips. Level One is either a $250 gift certificate or $300 in conference cash! Conference cash was a debit card with your name on it. You have time to earn it and then get your debit card in Chicago.

I'm WAY out here in Cali. and my plane ticket alone was $400! My DH told me the only way I'm going to Conference next year is if I earn it free plus earn the $300 conference cash to cover the plane ticket. That way, I'll only have to pay for food and hotel. Of course, if I won him the cruise instead of the $300 conference cash, he'd probably change his attitude! :0)

Ellen,
Where in California are you? I bought my tickets in Feb. 07 for this year's conference and I was able to find a flight out of LA for $287. If you start early enough maybe you could could find a fare that would make him happier.

chefpenny99 said:
Ellen,
Where in California are you? I bought my tickets in Feb. 07 for this year's conference and I was able to find a flight out of LA for $287. If you start early enough maybe you could could find a fare that would make him happier.

I'm in Santa Maria, CA (on the central coast about an hour north of Santa Barbara).

The ticket thing is kind of a sore subject because I wanted to buy them earlier but was assured by our clusters advanced director that she researches all the flights and calls everyone to let them know what's good and the cluster tries to fly out together. So I waited....and waited....and waited. Finally I was told by my Director that the Advanced Director was not going to be able to make it and that was the first year that's ever happened!:eek:

I really like my AD but was really ANNOYED:grumpy: by the whole thing because it ended up costing me a fortune! I ended up flying out of LAX which is about 3 hours from my house. So, gas $ to & from the airport (twice) plus airfare ended up costing about $550 or so.:eek:

Now that is some dedication to PC Ellen! wow! I have always traveled by looking out for myself 1st. If I can fly with someone else, great... if not, then I get to meet some new friends. I am not at that financial point in my life where I can sacrifice $100-$200 to "wait and let someone else plan it." Maybe this year, you should send out an email when you find a great price and let people know that I found this great price and would love to have you join me on this flight! I would totally be annoyed at that situation as well!!!!!

GourmetGirl said:
Now that is some dedication to PC Ellen! wow! I have always traveled by looking out for myself 1st. If I can fly with someone else, great... if not, then I get to meet some new friends. I am not at that financial point in my life where I can sacrifice $100-$200 to "wait and let someone else plan it." Maybe this year, you should send out an email when you find a great price and let people know that I found this great price and would love to have you join me on this flight! I would totally be annoyed at that situation as well!!!!!

Trust me, I was ticked! I was assured and reassured over and over again that this is how they ALWAYS do it. I wasn't worried about flying alone. I just wasn't too keen on the idea of landing in a place I've never been before and paying for taxi to take me to a hotel I've never been to before. I've always made those arrangements in advance, or had someone at the airport waiting for me. It will not happen again if I can go next year. I'm booking at least 3-4 months in advance!

Ellen, I can relate to the hassle of driving to LAX. I live in Rosamond (in the Antelope Valley) and it takes us about 2 hours to drive to LAX.

1. How much should I budget for attending a conference in 2008?

The cost of attending a conference in 2008 can vary greatly depending on the location, duration, and specific event. It is recommended to research the conference beforehand to get an estimate of registration fees, travel expenses, and accommodations. Additionally, you may want to consider budgeting for meals, networking events, and any additional materials or workshops offered at the conference.

2. Are there any ways to save money on attending a conference?

Yes, there are several ways to save money on attending a conference. Look for early bird discounts or group rates for registration fees. Consider sharing accommodations with other attendees to cut down on hotel costs. You can also try to find cheaper transportation options, such as carpooling or taking public transportation. Lastly, pack your own snacks and drinks to avoid overspending on food at the conference.

3. Do I need to budget for additional expenses at the conference?

In addition to registration fees and travel expenses, you may also need to budget for other expenses at the conference. This can include meals, networking events, and any additional materials or workshops offered. It's important to research the conference beforehand to get an idea of any additional costs you may encounter.

4. How can I keep track of my budget while attending the conference?

One way to keep track of your budget while attending a conference is to create a spreadsheet with all of your expected expenses. This can help you stay organized and ensure that you stay within your budget. You may also want to consider using a budgeting app or setting alerts on your phone to help you stay on track.

5. What if I go over my budget while attending the conference?

If you find yourself going over your budget while attending a conference, don't panic. Take a look at your expenses and see if there are any areas where you can cut back, such as opting for cheaper meals or skipping optional events. You can also try to find ways to earn extra income, such as offering your services at the conference or selling products or services related to your business. Lastly, remember to be mindful of your spending and try to stick to your budget for the remainder of the conference.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• reba515
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
chefmelody
  • babywings76
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • PC*Lover