• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Comparing Garmin Models: Free vs. Paid Updates

In summary, the Garmin is better because it has free updates, while the Tom Tom costs money to update.
jrstephens
Which one has free updates and which one do you have to purchase them?

A friend of mine had the Garmin in her car the other nigh,t and I thought it was so neat. I did not ask too many questions b/c it would be her husband who would now the answer:D

I am thinking of telling Russell I want one for Chritmas and am trying to see which is best.

am saving the $$ I earn from my recruits and promoting to Director to buy one. I am not sure which is which, but I think I want a Garmin.

I have a Garmin Nuvi and I'm pretty frustrated and think9ing of swiping (I meant swapping) my son's Magellan when he comes home next month from college.Mine takes forever to acquire satellites or says searching and looks forever. last month it couldn't find the location of the huge mall (I was in the parking lot)

I have the Tom Tom and love it. We have an older style that we got 3 years ago. We just updated new software on line so it would pick up some of the newer streets. We also have a newer version that we got last year, so we could have one in each car. I think it is easy to use and it has always gotten me where I need to go.

This is a case of you get what you pay for. I bought a Garmin for my huband about 4 years ago and he says it has been the best present I ever bought him. It wasn't the top of the line, but definitely close. We do have to buy an update if we want one, but we've only purchased one in 4 years. W absolutely love it! My sister just bought a Tom-Tom (she didn't talk to me first!) and we were lost over and over using it on a trip to L.A. last spring.

I say, whichever brand you go with, don't get the cheapest model. You need to pick one that's at least in the middle price range.

My 2 cents!

I have a Garmin and I completely LOVE it!!! My hubby got it for me as a Christmas present last year (of course it's a write off too!) and he's the type of person that won't buy anything, did I say ANYTHING??, until he does major research on it. So, I'm very confident that he got one of the best ones out there. Anyway, it's completely fantastic and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

My sons realized how much I needed a GPS. After much research they gave me a top of the line Garmin which I simply love!!!!!!! We live ing the midwest. My husband and I took it to Hawaii this summer and it worked great. You should have heard my husband arguing with it, even though this was totally new territory for both of us. By the end of the trip he deceided it really did know what it was talking about!! My son who has an identical one, took his to New England and was very happy with the ease of traveling it afforded. It has become my new "best friend" as it tells me, "you have arrived at xxx on your right." WOW has it made parities easier to find!!!!!

When it does take time finding the satellites, it is usually a very cloudy day.

Hope you like yours as much as I do.

DH has been researching GPS units, since he got the idea to get them for our parents for Christmas. He found a site with LOTS of great reviews, many of which include details on specifics that you may find more important that other people do (like what keyboard layout the unit uses and whether it's switchable - we're looking for units that have QWERTY layout). He's in bed already, but I'll try to get the site name from him in the morning.

I agree with Ann--you have to think about what features are most important to you and then research from there. I have a Garmin Street Pilot that DH bought for me. I was terribly late to an event last spring because of traffic. So he found a model that is connected to MSN direct for traffic updates so it can reroute me around any problems. I agree with Ann about the keyboard layout--mine is ABC and it drives me nuts. :)

I have a Garmin Nuvi and LOVE it!!! I've been traveling all over the states these past few months and it has gotten me to my destination each time. My DH did all the research for me; he's a techie so I completely trust in his recommendation.

I have a magellan, Dh has the Garmin. Go with the Garmin--the lady's voice is more soothing and the screen is easier to read.

http://www.gpsreview.netThey also track current prices for units.

I have TomTom and LOVE IT! :love: Don't know what I ever did without my GPS. It's awesome to find host homes....don't have to ask for directions, which is great for me, 'cause I'm not good with directions. :rolleyes:

I have Tomtom and I love her - never drives me crazy and is so easy to program - updates are free thru the computer, I believe - I have a factory one that came with my new surburban, and it isn't half as easy to program as TomTom - So I keep both in the car!

I bought one "for my husband" for Father's Day. He uses it for his job during the day, then I snag it to get to my shows...a total tax write-off!

After a bunch of research online and asking around, I settled on the least expensive TomTom (I think it's called One). It has the features we need and so far has been pretty accurate. One thing I did notice in the online reviews is that some of the more advanced ones can tend to get inaccurate on the street names, etc. The TomTom will just say (turn left after 1/4 mile) and shows it on the screen.

It's pretty easy to program. I love that we can change the screen colors at night so it's not so glaring.

The one downside is not really TomTom's fault. We can get pretty rural here and DH sometimes complains that it can't find some of the streets because they're dirt roads and not on the map yet!

Just my two cents!

I used a Garmin when I was in FL. It was easy to use and got us where we needed to be without any major troubles.

Love my Garmin!!

I got my Dad a Tom Tom for Father's Day... he had NO idea what it was when he opened it. Once we got it set up though, he LOVES it!! He's 64 years old today and says the Tom Tom is the BEST thing he has ever received as a gift! He's not to technologically savvy and he can figure it out. I'm really impressed with the maps. He does a lot of work on old farm tractors and Tom Tom still gets him to the locations out in the fields!

My husband bought me a TomTom One 3rd Edition last year for Christmas and I absolutely love it. And you can connect it to the computer to get updates or make updates yourself. So if there is a new road or an exit off the highway that no longer exists you can update it and others will get that info also when they update theirs. There has only been one address I could not find for a party and that is because technically it does not exist LOL Part of the towns post office is in one town the other part is in another town. Because of this the town technically does not exist. It does not find it on my brother in laws Garmin either LOL But other than that I love my TomTom.

I have the garmin nuvi 360 and LOVE IT!!!

MY DH and I both have magellans so I guess I am no help! But we love them!

1. What are the main differences between free and paid updates for Garmin models?

The main difference between free and paid updates for Garmin models is that free updates only include basic map and software updates, while paid updates offer more advanced features such as traffic and weather updates, custom points of interest, and voice guidance.

2. Are all Garmin models eligible for free updates?

No, not all Garmin models are eligible for free updates. Generally, newer models are more likely to receive free updates, while older models may require a paid update.

3. How often should I update my Garmin device?

It is recommended to update your Garmin device at least once a year. However, if you frequently travel to new areas or rely heavily on your device for navigation, it may be beneficial to update more frequently.

4. Can I purchase a one-time paid update for my Garmin device?

Yes, you can purchase a one-time paid update for your Garmin device. However, it is often more cost-effective to purchase a lifetime update subscription, which includes multiple updates over the lifetime of your device.

5. Are there any risks or downsides to updating my Garmin device?

In most cases, updating your Garmin device is a safe and beneficial process. However, there is a small risk of encountering bugs or errors during the update. It is recommended to backup your device before updating to avoid any potential issues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Kodeysmom
Replies
Views
marystell1
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Melissa78