• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Commuting to and From Conference in Chicago Area???

In summary, conference attendees living in the Chicago area are discussing whether to commute to and from the conference or stay in a hotel. Some are concerned about the cost of parking and the safety of taking public transportation at night. Others suggest using the shuttle buses or taking the Metra train as alternatives. The cost of daily parking at McCormick Place is $16 and attendees will receive an ID badge that allows them to ride the shuttle buses for the duration of the conference.
tina617
Has anyone commuted to and from conference since they live in the Chicago area? Last year I stayed in a hotel, and it was WONDERFUL! Unfortunately, this year my husband REALLY wants me to commute. We have a 4 month old and I'm nursing, so it might be nice to be home at night, but I hope it doesn't change my conference experience too much. I live near Harlem and Irving in Chicago, so it's not too far, but I know parking can be expensive. I also don't think it's too good of an idea to do public transportation at night, but hubby is willing to pick me up.

Any thoughts on parking?
Public transportation?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Tina

Tina,
I am glad you posted this- I am wondering also. I live in Lombard, and we will be commuting also. I am not sure if we should take Metra in, or drive in and park. I am not sure how traffic will be, and I feel the same way about the train at night, but there will be several of us traveling together.

If you can get transportation to a conference hotel (Metra plus a short walk?), that's what I'd suggest. It has to be cheaper than parking and the roads are supposed to be torn up.

We can use the shuttle buses, even though we are not staying at the hotels?

mrssyvo said:
We can use the shuttle buses, even though we are not staying at the hotels?

Last year I heard people that didn't stay at conference hotels just walked to one, & got on the shuttle! So I guess it's okay...

The shuttle drivers didn't ask if you were a hotel guest, nor did they ask if you were a TPC consultant. Considering that, and Joe off the street could have hitched a ride with all of us down to McCormick Place. ;)

I'll be staying in Frankfort Square and taking the Rock Island Line to the Metra Electric on into McCormick Place. Here's to hoping I can figure out the system well enough while I'm there! My other option would be to drive to McCormick Place and park there. I really don't want to have to drive in Chicago traffic. That's why we left in the first place! :)

http://www.mccormickplace.com/SubLink.cfm?Main_ID=27&Sub_ID=73

I did a bit of searching, and it looks like daily parking at McCormick Place lots is $16/day. I guess I'll probably find out! :)

Last edited:
Yes, you can ride the shuttle buses even if you are not staying in the hotel. When you register at the McCormick you will get an ID badge so you can get into meetings. This badge will get you on the bus for the remainder of the conference. So the first day, in theory, anyone can ride the bus because we don't have our badges yet.

What is the best way to commute to and from the conference in the Chicago area?

The most efficient way to commute to the conference would be to take public transportation, such as the train or bus. This will save time and money on parking.

How early should I leave for the conference to avoid traffic?

It is recommended to leave at least an hour earlier than your estimated arrival time, as traffic can vary and it is better to arrive early than late.

Are there any parking options available near the conference venue?

Yes, there are several parking garages and lots near the conference venue. However, they can be expensive and may fill up quickly, so it is best to arrive early or consider taking public transportation.

Is it safe to walk from the parking lot to the conference venue?

The conference venue is located in a safe area, but it is always recommended to be cautious and aware of your surroundings when walking to and from your car. If possible, try to walk with a group or ask a colleague to accompany you.

Are there any shuttle services available for conference attendees?

Some hotels in the area may offer shuttle services to and from the conference venue. It is best to check with your hotel or the conference organizers for more information. Alternatively, you can also use ride-sharing apps or taxi services for transportation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
Cr8vKitchen
  • hmolah
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
KCPChef
  • NooraK