• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Colossal Chopped Salad Recipe | Season's Best Cookbook | 8qt Bowl Tip

In summary, the recipe for the Colossal Chopped Salad calls for the use of a new SA Large Round Bowl, which is way to small to contain all the ingredients. Instead, the author recommend using an 8-qt SS bowl. This recipe was a huge hit at a show and the author was able to sell 6 of the new Tomato Knives.
chef_leeanne
Silver Member
I just got home from doing a show tonight. I made the Colossal Chopped Salad from the newest Season's Best. It is SO GOOD and really pretty/colorful. I was a huge hit! This recipe showed alot tools and was fun as well as easy to make. I made it a hands on show. Sold 6 of the new Tomato Knives!

Word of warning though....recipe says to use the new SA Large Round Bowl. It is way to small. There was no way I could have tossed the ingredients together without making a huge mess. I happened to have brought the 8qt SS bowl, and transfered everything into it. Worked out perfectly. :D

Thanks for the tip!! I will try and remember that one!:D

That's a great salad. The recipe has been around for a while and I'm glad they brought it back.

When I've made it before, I just layered the ingredients in the bowl and not tossed it. I just make sure to dig down and get every layer when serving and everyone just loves it!

Thanks for the recommendation. I love making salads at shows. They show so many tools and you get to show off the larger SA pieces with woven selections too!

Thanks, I will try this one at my next family party! I love salads!

Thanks for the feedback! I saw the recipe & was thinking it would be good.

Is this the salad with the ditalini (I love saying that) pasta in it? That salad is SOOOOO good!
What a great summer recipe, too! Especially when the mid-season stuff comes out. :)

DebbieJ said:
That's a great salad. The recipe has been around for a while and I'm glad they brought it back.

When I've made it before, I just layered the ingredients in the bowl and not tossed it. I just make sure to dig down and get every layer when serving and everyone just loves it!

I wonder how that would look in the Triffle Bowl?;)

letscook04 said:
I wonder how that would look in the Triffle Bowl?;)

It's a huge salad (colossal actually;) ) I'm thinking it's probably too big for the Trifle Bowl - would have to scale back ingredients.

I think it is too much salad for the trifle bowl after making it yesterday. The Large SA Square Bowl would work. I started out making it in the new SA Large Round Bowl like the recipe said to. Right away I could tell that was NOT going to fit. The appearance of the salad in the dotted bowl was very appetizing. The colors of the veggies and the dots together were so pretty combined. As we were putting it together, guests kept remarking how pretty it was.

I'm making this again for a show in a few days and am thinking I'll mix it in the 8-qt SS bowl, and transfer some of the mixed salad to the dotted large bowl, because it looked so pretty. I did read somewhere, that you can set the Lg Round Bowl on top of the base from the Trifle Bowl. How pretty does that sound? ;)

Ann - this was made with penne pasta.

I think I just set the CS record for saying the word pretty in one post! But I'm telling you.... it was!!:p

Attachments

• COLOSSAL CHOPPED SALAD.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 507
chef_leeanne said:
I think it is too much salad for the trifle bowl after making it yesterday. The Large SA Square Bowl would work. I started out making it in the new SA Large Round Bowl like the recipe said to. Right away I could tell that was NOT going to fit. The appearance of the salad in the dotted bowl was very appetizing. The colors of the veggies and the dots together were so pretty combined. As we were putting it together, guests kept remarking how pretty it was.

I'm making this again for a show in a few days and am thinking I'll mix it in the 8-qt SS bowl, and transfer some of the mixed salad to the dotted large bowl, because it looked so pretty. I did read somewhere, that you can set the Lg Round Bowl on top of the base from the Trifle Bowl. How pretty does that sound? ;)

Ann - this was made with penne pasta.

I think I just set the CS record for saying the word pretty in one post! But I'm telling you.... it was!!:p

You can also turn the small dots bowl upside down as a pedestal for the large bowl..and that looks pretty!!

I thought about doing this for a show tonight as well... one little problem... I dont' have the stockpot..... what could I use ?

mommyhugz1978 said:
I thought about doing this for a show tonight as well... one little problem... I dont' have the stockpot..... what could I use ?

I would just make the pasta ahead of time and bring it already cooked to the show! It needs to be cooled anyway before you can use it.

Just bring the noodles cooked in advance. You can just say you cooked them at home in the stockpot as you pass around the 8 inch saute pan... :)

I love this forum for a reason... I always get such good tips!!!!! Thanks .. I will cook the pasta before I go to my show!!!

DebbieJ said:
Just bring the noodles cooked in advance. You can just say you cooked them at home in the stockpot as you pass around the 8 inch saute pan... :)

Hehe, I have definitely done this! Soon though, I WILL have both of our cookware sets, and then start adding from there...

I have bits and pieces of the excutive cookware... but I dont' have the whole set...but I told my DH I am going to earn them!!

1. What ingredients do I need for the Delicious Colossal Chopped Salad recipe?

The Delicious Colossal Chopped Salad recipe calls for 8 cups of chopped romaine lettuce, 2 cups of chopped tomatoes, 1 cup of chopped bell peppers, 1 cup of chopped cucumbers, 1/2 cup of chopped red onion, 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese, 1/2 cup of sliced black olives, and 1/2 cup of sliced pepperoncini peppers.

2. Can I substitute any ingredients in the recipe?

Yes, you can substitute any of the vegetables in the recipe with your preferred choices. You can also omit the feta cheese or add a different type of cheese. Feel free to customize the recipe to your liking.

3. How many servings does the Delicious Colossal Chopped Salad recipe make?

This recipe makes 8 servings.

4. Can I make this salad ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the salad ahead of time, but we recommend adding the dressing right before serving to prevent the vegetables from getting soggy.

5. What is the suggested dressing for this salad?

The suggested dressing for the Delicious Colossal Chopped Salad is a simple vinaigrette made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, and salt and pepper. However, you can use your favorite dressing or make your own based on your preferences.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• genburk
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • krley
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies