• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Color Coated Knives: What Purpose Do They Serve & Could It Work For Lettuce?

In summary, the test kitchens told us that that is a wives tale. The knives were promoted as safe for non-stick cookware.
mrshamel3808
Gold Member
My MIL asked me the other day if PC makes plastic knives that would work to shred lettuce but keep it from turning brown. I thought of the color coated knives but really don't know much about them. I barely know what their purpose is in general, let alone if they'd work for this. What is the coating, what's the purpose of having color coated knives, and would it work for keeping lettuce from turning brown?

We used to have them--we had a pink one for HWC a couple of years ago and a green one that is now discontinued. They worked great!

the green ones are in the outlet right now!

I have ordered several nylon knives from the outlet and have given many away as well. I love the nylon knife because I used to buy only the salad mix in the bag because I hated cutting up a head of lettuce. The nylon knife is perfect and cheap!

mrshamel3808 said:
My MIL asked me the other day if PC makes plastic knives that would work to shred lettuce but keep it from turning brown. I thought of the color coated knives but really don't know much about them. I barely know what their purpose is in general, let alone if they'd work for this. What is the coating, what's the purpose of having color coated knives, and would it work for keeping lettuce from turning brown?

The test kitchens told us that that is a wives tale. Lettice that is used right away will not turn brown. Look at the lettuce in the fridge that you tore (no knife) - it's turning brown too.

BethCooks4U said:
The test kitchens told us that that is a wives tale. Lettice that is used right away will not turn brown. Look at the lettuce in the fridge that you tore (no knife) - it's turning brown too.

Hijack...

Hey Beth! You're back on CS now? How are you?

Um...yes, it turns brown after a while, but not immediately! Besides, if the test kitchen says it's a wives tale, why did they make the plastic knives for it? I'll direct her to the outlet, thanks!

The knives were promoted as safe for non-stick cookware.

babywings76 said:
Hijack...

Hey Beth! You're back on CS now? How are you?

Thanks for noticing. Not really gone, not really back. Turns out I had a lifetime membership. I've been concentrating on other things but I check back every so often.

1. What is the purpose of color coated knives?

The purpose of color coated knives is to help organize and differentiate between different types of food when preparing meals. Each color represents a specific type of food, making it easier to prevent cross-contamination and maintain food safety.

2. Can color coated knives be used for cutting lettuce?

Yes, color coated knives can definitely be used for cutting lettuce. The green color typically represents vegetables, so a green color coated knife would be perfect for cutting lettuce. Just be sure to properly clean and sanitize the knife before and after use.

3. How do color coated knives work for lettuce?

Color coated knives work for lettuce just like any other type of knife. The main difference is the color coding, which helps to prevent the transfer of bacteria from one type of food to another. This is especially important when working with raw meats and vegetables.

4. Are color coated knives dishwasher safe?

It depends on the specific product and manufacturer. Some color coated knives may be dishwasher safe, but it is always recommended to check the care instructions before putting them in the dishwasher. Hand washing is typically the safest and most effective method for cleaning these knives.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using color coated knives for lettuce?

The only potential drawback is that the color coating may eventually wear off with frequent use and washing. However, this should not affect the performance of the knife as it is purely for organizational purposes. It is also important to note that color coated knives may be slightly more expensive than non-colored knives, but the added convenience and food safety benefits make it worth it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kltaylo
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Paige Dixon
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
straitfan
  • ShelbyMichalek