• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cole Is Getting Tubes on Tuesday at 630 Am

In summary, Jennifer's son Cole is going to have a procedure to get tubes for his chronic ear infections. They are driving 90 miles to an ENT and will be spending the night before the procedure. Jennifer is worried about Cole not being able to have anything to eat or drink after midnight and waking up during the night. She and her family are asking for prayers for a successful procedure and recovery. Other parents share their experiences with their own children's ear tube procedures and offer advice and support.
jrstephens
Just wanted to ask for prayers from everyone. My main worry is that he cannot have anything to eat or drink after midnight. With the ear infections he is prone to wake up during the night for a bottle. Please, pray that he will sleep until we get to the Dr's office for the procedure.

We have to drive 90 miles to our ENT, so, we are going to spend the night down there on Monday night in order to not chance him waking up on the drive down and it being horrible not able to give him a bottle.

We are ready for tubes with all the ear infections he has had. He has had the current one since Nov 23rd. Of course, I am anxious about him being put to sleep but I know it is not a big deal.

MOST OF ALL I know that God is in control and that He will take care of him and us!!!

Jennifer you will be in my prayers. My oldest DS had tubes twice and his adnoid's removed. It all started when he was 18 months old.

Thanks for your prayers.

I forgot to to put that Cole is 8 months for those that do not remember.

Jennifer,
You and Cole will be in my prayers. When taylor was 18 months old she had to do a test where she had to sleep during it and we had a 45 min drive. It was a nightmare keeping her awake in the moving car.

Kyle finally got his at 1 year - best day of my life!!!! He finally walked across the room. He made it through the short procedure like a trooper and acted like nothing happened later in the day. His earaches were practically non-existent after that...went from constant to 2-3 in a 3 year period. His tubes stayed in almost 3 years (much longer than average), but are out now and at age 5, he does great!Before tubes, Kyle was so bad he's take a step or two and fall flat on his face.Adjust his feeding if you can starting now, try to move everything up a bit this evening then give him one late each night in prep for Monday night.

I'll be praying for both of you.

Sending prayers for your family.

You can do this! My thoughts are with you. I had to do this exact thing with my son. I was nursing him exclusively at the time and that made it even harder. Find your "mom strength" and draw upon that. You all will do fine.<<hugs>>

I know it can be stressful worrying about how he will feel especially when he cannot tell you. And then to have him wheeled away to another room without you there to hold his hand. But keep your head up he will be looking forward that loving familiar face when he starts to come to from the procedure.

My son went through this when he was just a year old as well. I cried seeing him helpless as he became more and more loopy after the meda start to kick in. This was the hardest for me and worrying of coarse when he came back about him not waking up immediately from the meds. I a worry wart!, but I promise it will all be OK:) My son barely acted like anything had happened, didnt seem to notice his ears being different either. He is now 17 months and has not had an infection since! It's all worth it!

I was most worried about the bottle thing too, my son plays toys with a bottle hanging out of his mouth even when he's not drinking it he has to have it. He also drinks juice like it going out of style. I explained my worries to the doc and he let us give him a bottle through the night of clear liquid as long as not after like 5am and his surgery was scheduled around 8 I think. He says they don't like to recommend it but wasnt really a harm. Cant remember why, I was just soo reluctant he said he could have his bottle. You might check into it. We always mix his apple juice 1 to 1 with 1/2 j 1/2 water. We added bit more water that night though just in case.

My thoughts are with you and your family!:)

Jennifer,
Please know they will sedate him to the point of his not moving around. It is somewhat a simple procedure now with all the advancements they have made over the years. It also only takes about 5 to 10 minutes total in the Surgery Suite. After that they will take him to a Recovery Room to ensure he wakes up enough not to need any extra oxygen, and they will record his heart rate, pulse oximetry, and temperature. The Recovery Room will take the longest time. (We would if the child started crying for Mommy take them to Mommy and have the Short Stay Surgery Staff watch them.) Just know he will be taken care of, and I hope you have great staff personnel to work with. I will pray for a speedy recovery, and for guidance for the surgeons hands.

Thoughts and Prayers sent your way Jennifer - keep us posted on his progress!

Cole got his tubes today. He has been fussy but other wise doing fine.

God was at work. When they called me yesterday they told me it would be 800 instead of 630 when they took him but that we still had to be there at 630. When Dr. Wilsoon came in and they told him they were doing some other man first, he told them NO that he was doing that baby FIRST!! Thank the Lord.

He was crying when he woke up horrible and Dr. Wilson did not make us stay in recovery he let us take him out. As soon as we went out the door he quieted down.

He slept the whole way home.

Thank you all so much for your prayers!!!

Good to hear! Glad it is over for you----and hopefully Cole will return to being a normal happy baby!

(I am at work otherwise I would write you an email!)

I'll continue to pray for quick healing.

continued prayers for his days ahead

so glad to hear that he & you came through with flying colours. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

So How did Cole do last night Jennifer?

He slept all night. He was fussy when he got up this morning. I talked to my mom and he has already gone back to sleep. So, I don't think he is feeling too good today. They said he could feel the affects for a few days though.

It is soo worth it! My oldest had tubes and it was great to be able to treat any ear infections right at the sight of the infection as appose to making him choke down nasty medicine and dealing with all the side effects.
Hang in there!

What are tubes and why does Cole need them?

Tubes, also known as ear tubes or tympanostomy tubes, are small tubes inserted into the eardrum to help drain fluid and equalize pressure in the middle ear. Cole may need them if he has frequent ear infections or persistent fluid buildup in the middle ear.

How long is the procedure to get tubes?

The actual procedure only takes about 15 minutes. However, Cole will need to arrive at the hospital at 6:30 am for pre-operative preparations.

What are the risks associated with getting tubes?

Like any medical procedure, there are some risks involved. Possible risks include bleeding, infection, and damage to the eardrum or surrounding structures. However, these risks are relatively rare and most children have no complications from getting tubes.

How will Cole's recovery be after getting tubes?

Cole may experience some mild discomfort in his ears for a few days after the procedure. He may also have some drainage from his ears, which is normal. It is important to keep his ears dry and follow any post-operative instructions given by the doctor. In most cases, children can resume normal activities within a day or two.

Will getting tubes affect Cole's hearing?

On the contrary, getting tubes can improve hearing in children with persistent fluid buildup in the middle ear. The tubes help to equalize pressure and allow for better drainage, which can improve hearing and reduce the risk of future ear infections.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lesliec
  • apriljc
  • General Chat
Replies