• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcome Cold Call Phobia and Book More Shows!

In summary, Kelley has been avoiding cold calls lately and is now stuck. She has been unsuccessful in finding shows, and her family is the most unsupportive people in the world. She has been trying different strategies, but she just feels like she's at a dead end. Andrea has been successful by wearing a shirt from VIP and by being friendly. She has also been posting flyers and going door to door. If you don't have a shirt from VIP, you should get one. Wear it everywhere you go and use it as a conversation starter. Every "no" you hear
sivlepa
Does anyone have any successful words or strategies they use to make cold calls?

I have been avoiding cold calls lately and it shows! My bookings all have been through shows lately and now I'm stuck. I may have ONE measly show for April, because I'm frozen in my tracks with COLD CALL PHOBIA! Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
That makes 2 of us!:( ...I just hate getting turned down! I guess it human nature to feel this way. Well I hope it picks up for you.:cool:

Me three!I also wonder WHO to call - I have contacts, but not TONS and that is frustrating, too.

To make matters worse, my family ( ALL OF THEM ) are THE MOST unsupportive people in the world! But I think thats what makes me try even harder!! Just so I can prove them wrong:p Hang in there we'll make it :D

I'm there with ya...Well, I just moved to a new town, no friends and family limited to my husband and mother in law, and started Pampered Chef just this week. I've been racking my brain trying to think of ways to meet people and get some shows going. This is my only job, so I don't even have a work circle to go to. My mother in law has already turned down my offer for a show, so I feel like I'm at square one. Has anyone had success with posting flyers in grocery stores or fitness clubs?

~Kelley

I put up my business cards anywhere I see a bulletin board. I have a couple of signs in my car, from Nancys artwork, I also leave (on purpose) a catalog with my info on my back window. Churches, schools, libraies etc...., But most of all...wear a smile:) Good luck:cool:

Making cold calls are torture for me, but...calling past guests or hosts are warm calls because you have spoken with them before. If those are the people you are calling you could say..."Hi my name is Jane Doe and we met at Judy John's PC show. I feel that I would not be a great consultant if I didn't tell you about the great special that we have going on (or didn't tell you about our great new products)." Go on to tell them and ask if they are interested in getting the products or host special. Let them know that you would love to work with them in making their kitchen the best kitchen around.

If you don't have a shirt from VIP you should get one. Wear it everywhere you go and use it as a conversation starter. The more you get out of your comfort zone the easier cold calling becomes. Every "no" you hear just means that you are one step closer to hearing a "yes". Hold an open house at your place and go door to door around your neighborhood introducing yourself and invite them personally and give them a paper invite as a reminder. Most people in your neighborhood will come because they are curious. If they are not interested in buying or hosting you could offer an incentive for refferals, such as a free stone or something.

I agree with Andrea. I am new to my area as well. To make life more interesting we found out three weeks before we left that we were coming to NC instead of FL. So... I had not done the steps ahead of time that I had done for FL. Anyway, weare pampered chef wear or a pin everywhere you go, And or carry a pc bag. I never give a catalog, but tell themI will mail them one and can add them to my preferred customer email list. Then, I planned a mystery host show and invited all the casual acquaitance I had just met and my neighbors. I gave tickets for bringing their friends I didnt know yet and lots of tickets for bookings. My first one was $700 and 3 bookings I think. 12 people came. In this area I have found that people are more apt to come and order if they get a chance at the host products then they will book. They wouldn't book when I just asked them to do that. Hope that helps some.

kelleyg said:
Well, I just moved to a new town, no friends and family limited to my husband and mother in law, and started Pampered Chef just this week. I've been racking my brain trying to think of ways to meet people and get some shows going. This is my only job, so I don't even have a work circle to go to. My mother in law has already turned down my offer for a show, so I feel like I'm at square one. Has anyone had success with posting flyers in grocery stores or fitness clubs?

~Kelley

Hi Kelley,

In the past, I've posted flyers and business cards with no success, but in the past 2 weeks, I got two phone calls! One from a woman who wants to do a fundraiser for the high school this fall and another from a woman who does not like her current PC consultant since she does not return calls, submit orders promptly, etc. The second woman is also interested in starting a PC business, so we'll see if anything happens!

So it does work and since it's free advertising, I'll keep doing it!

Cold Calls and Warm CallsFirst, remember cold calls are to people who have NO idea who you are. You need to check their number against the national and state do not call lists prior to making the call. We are a business (although independent) and I am sure you do not want to fined for calling when a number was on a DNC list.

Warm calls on the other hand are those people who have either purchased as guests from you in the past, or have given you their number on a drawing slip at a booth. In those cases you do not need to check their number against a DNC because one they are customer for you (past business) or have given you permission by including their phone number on a drawing slip.

If your cold calls are to a business, then the DNC regulations do not apply.

I just started to do warm calls and have had great success. I use it as a 2 fold call - Hi Sue, it's Liz from PC. Are you enjoying your products you purchased at Carol's show? I'm not sure if you are aware, but we have a new catalog out with 40 great new products! Would you be interested in knowing more? Remember, the best part of making calls is to let the other person talk to find out the most you can about their "needs" and hone in on them.

Hope this helps.

Thx! very much for your advise. I'm gonna give it a try.;)

Ginger

I know cold calls are not easy and we all hate rejection, but think of it this way--if you don't call, the answer's always "NO!"

You could also make a game out of it. Set a goal to hear a certain number of No's in one week (20 for example). Begin making calls and chart your No's. When you get to 20, reward yourself. Believe me, after that many calls, 2 things will happen: 1. you get used to hearing "No." and 2. You will get some Yes answers in there.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

i posted flyers and business cards everywhere i went when i first started. i had one person email me, i followed up and never heard from her again!! i would notice when i left cards they would dissappear but no calls or emails. i just moved to a different neighborhood and am going to put up some flyers here. it may depend on where you live and who lives around you!! good luck

Once again...Thx!!... & Monica, dont give up yet or at least thats what I tell myself eveyday. Things will get better. Thats what were here for :D :D :D

Make friends with the tellers at your bank. (I bank at a small credit union.) I did and it payed off big time. One day - out of the blue - a teller ordered a set of Gen II cookware. I stand around and chat with them while they are making my deposit. One of the male tellers is interested in the business for his wife. He thinks she needs some time away from the kids. That has been my most productive source.

What I mean by "cold calls"
ltkacz said:
First, remember cold calls are to people who have NO idea who you are. You need to check their number against the national and state do not call lists prior to making the call. We are a business (although independent) and I am sure you do not want to fined for calling when a number was on a DNC list.

Warm calls on the other hand are those people who have either purchased as guests from you in the past, or have given you their number on a drawing slip at a booth. In those cases you do not need to check their number against a DNC because one they are customer for you (past business) or have given you permission by including their phone number on a drawing slip.

If your cold calls are to a business, then the DNC regulations do not apply.

I just started to do warm calls and have had great success. I use it as a 2 fold call - Hi Sue, it's Liz from PC. Are you enjoying your products you purchased at Carol's show? I'm not sure if you are aware, but we have a new catalog out with 40 great new products! Would you be interested in knowing more? Remember, the best part of making calls is to let the other person talk to find out the most you can about their "needs" and hone in on them.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the clarification, Liz.
By cold calls I mean calls from my list of 100---calls to get bookings from people who were neither former hosts nor guests. Calls to people referred from friends and family. These are the ones I have trouble with as I'm picking them out of the air not knowing if they've heard of PC or if they'll bite. Often it's to an aquaintance I haven't talked to forEVER so it's uncomfortable to call with an agenda...

AgreedI definitely agree w/sivlepa especially on that last statement. When you're just starting out, calling up people you kinda know to do shows, it feels shady to talk briefly about their lives then launch into your sales pitch. I feel like a crappy friend, calling to say "hey we haven't talked in a while but I'm trying to make some money and I think you would spend it."

I'm beginning to feel like a leper pestering people to do shows. I have emailed like 4 people from my old job and two stay-at-home-mom groups, one of which seemed really irritated that I contacted them. :(

I really do think Pampered Chef is something everyone will love if they give it a chance but people are so irritated by the very idea of being "solicited."

How do you guys approach old acquaintances or local groups about doing shows without looking like a money-grubbing fake?

(Sorry all, I just have time to go through posts from the past and want to respond or get my quesitons answered too :) )

I have been thinking about my 100 names list too, since I've been home and wondering how best to approach them. I did an open house in the fall when I (re)started and Might resort to that again, I'll see.

Do you think it's best to send a flyer (like the one from Merril) or should I just pick up the phone and ASK?
Or does it matter?
I did call a lady just on a whim one evening, and she booked without hesitation. LOL, the only problem is her life took some changes and I haven't ben able to get a new date from her yet, but I will ;)

Kris

Thanks Kris for bumping up all these old threads. I never really saw them before!

:D :cool:

You're welcome. :)

1. How can I overcome my fear of cold calling?

The key to overcoming cold call phobia is to prepare and practice. Make a list of potential objections and have responses ready. Role play with a friend or family member to build confidence. Also, remember that rejection is a normal part of the sales process and not a reflection of your worth as a person.

2. What are some strategies for booking more shows through cold calling?

One strategy is to offer a limited-time incentive or promotion to entice potential hosts. You can also use a referral system where current hosts can refer their friends to host a show. Additionally, make sure to follow up with potential hosts and offer to answer any questions they may have.

3. How can I make my cold calls more effective?

It's important to have a clear and concise pitch that highlights the benefits of hosting a Pampered Chef show. Be sure to listen actively and address any concerns or objections that potential hosts may have. Lastly, always be professional and polite, even if you encounter rejection.

4. Should I only focus on cold calling or use other methods to book shows?

Cold calling is just one method of booking shows, and it may not work for everyone. It's important to also utilize other methods such as networking, social media, and word-of-mouth referrals. Find what works best for you and your business.

5. How many calls should I make before giving up on a potential host?

There is no set number of calls to make before giving up on a potential host. Some may be ready to book a show after just one call, while others may need more time to consider. It's important to follow up and not give up too easily, but also respect the potential host's decision if they are not interested.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Sk8Mom209
  • CAPCnewbie
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Wildfire