• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Humor Cocotte: A Fireproof Dish With Surprising Definitions

In summary, a guest at a show looked up the pronunciation of Cocotte and found that it was "kô-kôt." The dish is a small fireproof dish in which individual portions of food are cooked and served. It is also a prostitute or promiscuous woman.
raebates
Staff member
Last night at a show I mentioned that I have trouble remembering now to pronounce Cocotte. A guest decided to look it up. I didn't know this until she started laughing. Of course, we stopped the show to find out what was so funny. She shared the pronunciation (kô-kôt) and then the definitions:

1. (Cookery) a small fireproof dish in which individual portions of food are cooked and served
2. a prostitute or promiscuous woman :eek:

I'll probably never forget the pronunciation again, but I know I'll never again look at that little dish in quite the same way.

When they first announced it, I also looked it up. Interesting array of definitions!!

"that's one hot new dish!"

raebates said:
Last night at a show I mentioned that I have trouble remembering now to pronounce Cocotte. A guest decided to look it up. I didn't know this until she started laughing. Of course, we stopped the show to find out what was so funny. She shared the pronunciation (kô-kôt) and then the definitions:

1. (Cookery) a small fireproof dish in which individual portions of food are cooked and served
2. a prostitute or promiscuous woman :eek:

I'll probably never forget the pronunciation again, but I know I'll never again look at that little dish in quite the same way.

I used to be married to 1) a hot little dish who graduated into a 2) and now you know why I changed the locks. ;) She was not a pro, so maybe it would be better to say "coquette" but now that I think about it, "cocotte" might also be appropriate. (It's okay, she speaks highly of me, too.)

Both words are rooted in "coc" (or "coq" depending on language) which is a male chicken. The "tte" makes it the diminutive version of the root word, in this case, hen is the feminine version of the coc, or coq, depending on which word you're investigating.

As Mr. Spock might say, "Fascinating."

I just love this site!! So many things I've learned....

We're a wealth of useless information.

haha! I got home from fall lauch and forgot how to pronounce it and also googled it!! I haven't forgot how to say it since!!

1. What is a cocotte and how is it different from other cooking dishes?

A cocotte is a fireproof dish that is often made of ceramic or cast iron. It is similar to other cooking dishes like casserole dishes or Dutch ovens, but its defining feature is its ability to withstand high heat and direct flames. This makes it perfect for both stovetop and oven cooking.

2. Can I use a cocotte on the grill or open flame?

Yes, you can! Cocottes are designed to be fireproof, so they can withstand direct heat from a grill or open flame. Just make sure to follow the specific instructions for your cocotte, as some may have limitations on the type of heat source they can be used on.

3. What are some ways I can use a cocotte in my cooking?

Cocottes are incredibly versatile and can be used for a variety of dishes. They are great for braising meats, making stews and soups, roasting vegetables, and even baking bread or desserts. You can also use them for serving dishes, as they retain heat well and can keep your food warm at the table.

4. How do I care for my cocotte?

Caring for your cocotte is important to ensure it lasts a long time. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and maintenance. Generally, cocottes should be hand washed with gentle soap and warm water, and dried thoroughly before storing. Avoid using metal utensils or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the surface of the cocotte.

5. Can I use my cocotte in the microwave?

No, you should not use your cocotte in the microwave. The high heat and direct flames of the microwave can damage the fireproof coating on the cocotte and may cause it to crack or break. Stick to using your cocotte on stovetops, ovens, or grills for optimal results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
Devin
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224