• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Substituting for Coconut: Shredded Potatoes?

Information: Thai Curry Sauce: In small bowl, combine 1 tbsp/15 mL coconut milk, 2 tsp/10 mL curry paste, 1 tbsp/15 mL chopped fresh cilantro and 1 tsp/5 mL grated fresh ginger.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
Anyone know if we could substitute something for the coconut? I hate coconut! How about shredded potatoes?

Thanks!

Beth,
Maybe try it first. I am not a big fan of coconut myself but I love the coconut fried shrimp at outback. If it is anything like that you might like it. I haven't even looked at that recipe but if you pan fry it the coconut changes and becomes more of a crispy texture.

luvs2sellit said:
Beth,
Maybe try it first. I am not a big fan of coconut myself but I love the coconut fried shrimp at outback. If it is anything like that you might like it. I haven't even looked at that recipe but if you pan fry it the coconut changes and becomes more of a crispy texture.
Really!... maybe I will like it then. :p

Second the motion!I hate coconut, but I love coconut shrimp...like she said, once it's fried it is crispy and sweet...absolutely delicious... I haven't tried the PC version, but trust me the coating tastes nothing like coconut!!

The Coconut Shrimp Cakes are yummyI have just made these tonight, and I too hate coconut. But the cakes are yummy. They even have aliitle bit of a kick.

Help - Crisis Moment!!I have agreed to make the Sizzling Coconut Shrimp Cakes from the New SB Fall/Winter, for tonight's cluster meeting. I CANNOT FIND MY SB BOOK!!! :eek: Can someone post or email to me. I will even call you & jot over the phone if you want to just email me your number or something.

Check websiteRita,

PC has uploaded the fall season's best onto Consultant's Corner. Just go to the Recipe Section and there is a choice for Season's Best.

Good luck!

Looked for it this morning & didn't see. I'll double check now & let you know.

UPDATE: Nope. Lists it, but can't view it. Anyone else!?!?

Last edited:
The Pampered Chef ®
Sizzling Coconut Shrimp Cakes
Recipe 1 cup (250 mL) sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted 8 oz (250 g) peeled, deveined, cooked shrimp, finely chopped 2 tsp (10 mL) peeled fresh gingerroot, finely grated 1/4 cup (50 mL) thinly sliced green onions 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely diced red pepper 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated carrot 1 lemon 1/4 cup (50 mL) mayonnaise 1 egg 2 tsp (10 mL) rice vinegar 2 cloves garlic, pressed 1/3 cup (75 mL) fine dry bread crumbs 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper Chinese Mustard Sauce or Thai Curry Sauce (see Misc. Information), or sweet and sour sauce, hoisin sauce or plum sauce (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Place coconut in Small Oval Baker, microwave on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring after each 20 second interval. Set aside; cool completely.
  2. Finely chop shrimp and gingerroot using Food Chopper. Thinly slice green onions and finely dice red pepper using Utility Knife. Grate carrot using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Juice lemon to measure 1 tbsp/15 mL juice. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine shrimp, gingerroot, green onions, red pepper, carrot, lemon juice, mayonnaise, egg, rice vinegar and garlic pressed with Garlic Press; mix well using Small Mix 'N Scraper®. Combine bread crumbs and cayenne pepper. Add to shrimp mixture; mix well.
  3. Sprinkle half of the coconut evenly onto Cutting Board, forming an 8 inch/20 cm square. Using Adjustable Measuring Spoon, form 16 equal mounds of shrimp cake mixture and place onto coconut layer. Sprinkle shrimp cakes with remaining coconut. Flatten cakes slightly with Mini-Serving Spatula and carerfully place onto Large Round Stone.
  4. Bake 18-20 minutes or until coconut is golden brown. Remove shrimp cakes to serving platter and serve with assortment of sauces, if desired.
Yield: 16 shrimp cakes Per serving: (2 shrimp cakes) Calories 130, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 120 mg, Carbohydrate 10 g, Fibre less than 1 g, Protein 7 gCook's Tip: 1 pkg (340 g) imitation crabmeat can be substituted for the shrimp, if desired. If desired, shrimp cakes can be cooked on the stovetop in the Family (12-inch/30 cm) Skillet. Heat skillet over medium-low heat until hot. Spray skillet with Pantry Basil Oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Cook shrimp cakes 10-14 minutes or until coconut is golden brown, turning once. Thai red curry paste is characteristic of Asian cuisine. This ingredient is available in Asian markets or in the ethnic food section of many grocery stores. To easily juice lemon, use the Citrus Press.Tool Tip: Chinese Mustard Sauce: In small bowl, combine ½ cup/125 mL mayonnaise, ¼ cup/50 mL extra hot Chinese-style mustard and ¼ cup/50 mL thinly sliced green onions. Nutrients per serving (1 tbsp/15 mL sauce): Calories 80, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 0.5 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 160 mg, Carbohydrate 2 g, Fibre 0 g, Protein 0 g Thai Curry Sauce: In small bowl, combine ½ cup/125 mL mayonnaise, 2 tbsp/30 mL snipped fresh cilantro, 2 tsp/10 mL lime juice and ½ tsp/2 mL Thai red curry paste. Nutrients per serving (1 tbsp/15 mL sauce): Calories 100, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 0.5 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 125 mg, Carbohydrate 3 g, Fibre 0 g, Protein 0 g

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :)
Whew!

No problem, hon! :D

Must retract and more...I made the Coconut Shrimp Cakes this afternoon and it is not like the fried coconut shrimp that I have eaten. So although I wrote that the coconut is not "coconutty" (just made up that word), I thought it was...

When they make coconut shrimp, it is deep fried, so I guess that is why the coconut takes on a sweet & crispy flavor and texture. This did not happen when it was baked... So Beth, I am sorry 'cause you just may think it is actually too coconut tasting...

I also made the Potstickers.. I LOVED them.. even my 11 year old loved it!!

The sauce is great. I couldn't find the red jalepeno jelly and bought the green one instead... DELICIOUS... can definitely be substituted....

ONE THING...

We had the Potstickers at our cluster meeting and the jalepeno jelly was not microwaved... I microwaved it when I made it and then added the vinegar and soy sauce... totally different flavor!!! When it wasn't microwaved, the flavors didn't blend... you could taste the vinegar, soy and jelly all separate...

Moral to the story.... the coconut tastes like coconut (to me) and WARM the jelly first (as per the directions) don't skip that step!!!

Seafood AllergiesSince I have an allergy to idoine; shrimp, crab and crawfish are items I can't touch, cook, small cooking or eat. There are so many people allergy yo shellfish like me that I tell my hostess I can't have it at any of the shows I do. Most hostess are happy because the cost of seafood can be expenisive. I have fallen in love with the imatation crab meat, its made from fish. I was wondering if anyone mafe the coconut shrimp with imatation crab meat. The pouches of imatation cran meat are great becaue they can be stored on pantry shelf. I have made crab cakes in the past with it. Our family's favorite, shrimp mold. has now become imitation crab meat mold.

Charlene

Made these tonight...but left out the red pepper (I'm not a red pepper fan). I have to say, these are YUMMY! I think the Chinese mustard sauce is what adds the extra touch...

Sandy

1. Can I use shredded potatoes instead of coconut in a recipe?

Yes, shredded potatoes can be used as a substitute for coconut in certain recipes. However, keep in mind that shredded potatoes have a different texture and flavor than coconut, so the end result may be slightly different.

2. How do I substitute shredded potatoes for coconut in a recipe?

The general rule for substituting shredded potatoes for shredded coconut is to use a 1:1 ratio. This means for every cup of shredded coconut called for in the recipe, use 1 cup of shredded potatoes instead.

3. Can I use any type of shredded potatoes as a substitute for coconut?

Yes, you can use any type of shredded potatoes as a substitute for coconut. However, keep in mind that different types of potatoes may have slightly different textures and flavors, so the end result may vary.

4. Are there any recipes where shredded potatoes cannot be substituted for coconut?

Due to the different texture and flavor of shredded potatoes, it may not be suitable to substitute them for coconut in recipes that require a strong coconut flavor, such as coconut macaroons or coconut cream pie. It is best to use shredded potatoes as a substitute in recipes that call for coconut as a topping or garnish.

5. Can I use sweetened shredded potatoes as a substitute for sweetened coconut?

Yes, you can use sweetened shredded potatoes as a substitute for sweetened coconut. However, keep in mind that sweetened shredded potatoes may add more sweetness to the recipe compared to sweetened coconut, so adjust the amount of sugar or other sweeteners accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Ginger428
  • Alanna1
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies