• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Coating Trays & Tool - Worth Buying?

In summary, the coating trays are not a necessary purchase, but they can be helpful if you have some shallow bowls. They make cleaning up much easier than using pie plates.
Michelle817
Silver Member
I recently found a recipe for breaded chicken that I love, and am thinking about buying this product. My question is, is it worth it? I currently use pasta plates (like really shallow bowls) for my breading ingredients, and am wondering if the coating trays would make things much easier. Money is tight so I don't want to buy them unless they would actually be helpful (and improve on the method I'm already using). If you own these, what is your opinion? Thanks!

I really like mine, but they are huge-even the small one. I would not say they are a necessity though. I would wait maybe till you have a little bit xtra $$$.

Michelle~

I think the tongs are useless (when they came out and Chef Chris was on the demo DVD, he didn't use them either!!) so I sold mine to someone who lost theirs!

I think they are great shallow dishes that are perfect for dredging...BUT if you have some really shallow and wide bowls, they probably work great for you. I can never find shallow plates like that, so I use mine whenever I am breading. If your bowls work well for you, I wouldn't spend the $$ on them for now. JMHO

I like them and use them when I am breading or making anything that I need to coat. I earned then with FPV from hosting my own show.

With that being said, I do not see that they in anyway improved my method of the shallow pans I was using before them. Except that they store within each other and take up less roomin my cabinets than my previous pie plates I was using. I have never used the tool b/c I cannot get the hang of turning with it and would rather use my hands.

If money was tight, I (personally) would skip kitchen items that I already have something that was working for me.

Thank you for your quick responses! You're right, I think I will pass on them for now.

KellyTheChef said:
Michelle~

I think the tongs are useless (when they came out and Chef Chris was on the demo DVD, he didn't use them either!!) so I sold mine to someone who lost theirs!

I think they are great shallow dishes that are perfect for dredging...BUT if you have some really shallow and wide bowls, they probably work great for you. I can never find shallow plates like that, so I use mine whenever I am breading. If your bowls work well for you, I wouldn't spend the $$ on them for now. JMHO

I agree with you about the tongs. They are awful. I haven't used them dipping things into chocolate, though. Maybe, then, they'd make sense.

Thanks for starting this thread!! I have often wondered if I would ever use these and have passed on them time and time again...after reading this, I think I will continue to pass on them.

I have something that works for me now.

Thanks again!!

JAE said:
I agree with you about the tongs. They are awful. I haven't used them dipping things into chocolate, though. Maybe, then, they'd make sense.
I make choc. covered pretzels and other dipped goodies and can't see as these tongs would ever be helpful. Too clumsy for me.

What I really love about the Coating Trays is that they minimize the mess! Since they are all rectangle shape and they hook together it keeps the flour/bread crumb 'dust' way down. I always used pie plates before these and I'd have perfect 'flour circles' on my counter to clean-up. With the trays I don't have that anymore since they fit next to each other. I sell a ton of these and people really love them.

No, they aren't a necessity, but it's nice not to have so much to clean-up when you're done.

I like mine and use them for everything from making chicken to making chocolate covered cookies. If money is tight right now, I would pass until you can afford it. maybe you can host a show and get them for free. Worth getting, but worth the wait.

Personally I wouldn't get them now if I were you. The storage factor is great but I still keep mine in the box because I rarely use them. And the tongs????.......what were they thinking? Not sure I'm seeing the point of those!
Keep your money and continue using what you're using. I don't think this product will be around for long. JMO

I love mine just used them Monday night. I agree less mess! I do like the tongs for dipping strawberries but thats about it.
Is this something you can pass on sure, but if you are able to borrow it from a cluster mate for a show I would. Its easy to sell.

I love mine too, but would wait until you had some extra money.
I use the tongs when making Oreo Balls and they work great, but with meat I always use my fingers or else you get an area with no coating!!

I thought they were too small. But I have a large family (4 kids) so it takes too long to bread anything in them. The tongs were not useful at all. Not even sure where they are anymore. I just continued using a marinator container (very old from Tupperware...mom sold it when I was little) for a breading tray. Works great for me. I would hold out if I were you. I was disappointed in mine.

What is the purpose of a coating tray?

A coating tray is used to evenly distribute a coating, such as bread crumbs or flour, onto food items before cooking. It helps to create a more uniform and consistent coating on the food.

What are the benefits of using a coating tray?

Using a coating tray can save time and reduce mess in the kitchen. It also helps to ensure an even coating on food, which can result in a better texture and flavor.

What types of coatings can be used with a coating tray?

A coating tray can be used with a variety of coatings, including bread crumbs, flour, cornmeal, and even seasoning blends. It can also be used for breading meats and vegetables.

Are coating trays dishwasher safe?

Many of our coating trays are dishwasher safe, but we recommend checking the product information to be sure. Some trays may be hand wash only.

Can a coating tray be used for other purposes?

While the primary purpose of a coating tray is to evenly coat food items, it can also be used for other tasks such as marinating or draining excess oil from fried foods.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jolie_Paradoxe
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • lt1jane
  • Products and Tips
Replies