• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is My Co-Worker Undermining Me with a Student's Schedule Change?

In summary, the student's schedule was changed without consulting the teacher, and this caused issues with the student's behavior. The teacher has come up with a solution to the problem by sending the student to another classroom, but this is not ideal.
lockhartkitchen
I was home from school today, with an awful sore throat. I'm reading my email before bed tonight, and see that one of my student's schedules is changing starting tomorrow, without any consulting from me.

My student has extreme behavior issues. Because there is no room at the school for behavior needs until next Sep. we are trying to hold it together. The special ed. teacher, has him work independently throughout the day in her room. (note he is very bright and not special ed). His behavior this last week, has been awful the last hour of the day. We're doing group activities with the Oregon Trail. He refuses to do any of the work, wanders around and bothers others, and I've had to have him removed. The principal said she'd start keeping him up in her office with something to do.

The Special ed. teacher, is a brand-new teacher, and very naive. She sees this kid in a small setting and doesn't see the impact he makes on a room of 24 other students. Her solution? She's sending him to another 4th grade classroom doing the same activity for the last half hour of each day. If she had waited and spoke with me, I could have told her, we don't do Oregon Trail on Fridays, we have health. Now his behavior book doesn't reflect that, and we will have the issue of how he's getting to another classroom. He can't go by himself. He takes off.

This seemed to me, to be a slap in the face. "You can't handle him, so I'll send him to another teacher who can." I've had a few words with this special ed. teacher a few weeks ago, after she implemented something for this student without consulting with me. It left this kid with a marker pen to check off his work completed. This marker ended up all over his body. I also had to do my checkoff list (for our data team) AND this one, because she had him erasing it everyday and I no longer had the data I needed to use for his transition meeting. Uggh. After almost 18 years of teaching-

I'm so sorry, Julie. I know that sometimes new employees of any kind think they know best. She's probably sure that as the special ed teacher she's got a better handle on this type of student than you do. She's clearly wrong. Hope there's a good solution soon.

It might be a good time to send HER to the principals office! This way you could have a talk with her and know she will have to listen to you. Of course, you need to talk to the principal first. I wonder if she has any idea that she is only making the situation with him worse with all the new disruptions? If she doesn't, she don't know jack about kids! I worked for several years with special needs kids and know that that pattern and consistency of schedule works. When you mess up that pattern, you automatically set the kid back quite a distance. I mean I do not have a degree but even I am not that dumb.

Time to call a new IEP. In California anyone can do it, teacher, mom, principle.

Thanks. Today I spoke with the principal. When I suggested earlier in the week, we needed another activity other than group, for this student in the afternoons, she discussed it with the special ed. teacher. It was the special ed teacher's idea for the other classroom. We'll see how it goes. I have him one less hour a day, and believe me, that's a gift. This student will be placed in an alternative school next year for his behavior issues We are just trying to finish out the year, with a smooth end. I just get frustrated when I'm not consulted.

What should I do if a co-worker is constantly undermining me in front of our boss?

If you feel like a co-worker is intentionally trying to make you look bad in front of your boss, it's important to address the issue calmly and professionally. Schedule a meeting with your boss and calmly explain the situation, providing specific examples of how your co-worker has undermined you. It's also important to try to understand why your co-worker may be acting this way and approach them directly to try to resolve the issue.

How can I confront a co-worker who constantly takes credit for my ideas?

First, gather evidence of the instances where your co-worker has taken credit for your ideas. Then, schedule a meeting with your co-worker and calmly bring up the issue, using specific examples. Try to approach the conversation from a perspective of finding a solution rather than accusing them. If the behavior continues, it may be necessary to involve a manager or HR.

What steps can I take to protect my work from being sabotaged by a co-worker?

It's important to document your work and any changes made by your co-worker. Make sure to also communicate clearly with your co-worker about tasks and responsibilities to avoid any misunderstandings. If you feel like your work is being sabotaged, address it with your boss and provide evidence of the sabotage.

How do I handle a co-worker who is spreading rumors or gossiping about me?

If you become aware of a co-worker spreading rumors or gossiping about you, it's important to address the issue directly with that person. Calmly explain how their actions are affecting you and ask them to stop. It's also important to avoid engaging in gossip yourself and to focus on your work and maintaining a positive reputation.

What can I do if a co-worker is constantly trying to one-up me in front of others?

If you feel like a co-worker is trying to one-up you in front of others, it's important to stay confident and focused on your own work. Remember that their actions are a reflection of their own insecurities. It may also be helpful to address the issue directly with your co-worker and try to find a solution together.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jrstephens
Replies
Views
ChefJWarren
  • tlag1986
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates