• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Cleaning Stuck-on Chicken from Raw Cast Iron

In summary, to clean stuck-on chicken from a raw cast iron pan, fill it with hot water, let it sit, and then scrub with a brush or scraper. If needed, use salt and a lemon half to scrub. Soap is not recommended for cleaning cast iron pans as it can strip the seasoning. For a burnt-on layer of chicken, use equal parts water and vinegar, boil, and scrape with a wooden spoon. Avoid using steel wool or metal scrubbers as they can scratch the surface. To prevent food from sticking, ensure proper seasoning, preheat the pan, and use oil or fat. Acidic foods should be avoided as they can break down the seasoning.
KellerCooks
Anyone have any tips? Mine routinely gets chicken stuck to it and I can't seem to really get it off. I have the scraper and it doesn't work that well. It's raw cast iron, so I don't want to damage it. Let me know what you do.

I use one of those Scotch green scrubbies and just go into each groove back and forth. Works well for me.

I use a kitchen brush on mine after soaking it

you can add a little coarse salt and scrub with a damp...not wet...cloth....the grit of the salt scours it pretty well....i love cooking with castiron!!! i have manyof my grandmother's pans and even a covered pot :)

I take a used bounce "dryer sheet", put it in the grill pan with hot water and then add the press. soak for a while, then actually use the dryer sheet to clean the pan. finish the cleaning with a regular sponge. works great!

I soak it for a little while first, then use hot water and the kitchen brush. Then if it's still not coming off I use the scrubby side of a sponge. The grill pan/press scraper is horrible and doesn't help at all for me.

1. How do I clean stuck-on chicken from my raw cast iron pan?

To clean stuck-on chicken from your raw cast iron pan, start by filling the pan with hot water and letting it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then, use a stiff brush or scraper to gently scrub the stuck-on food. If the food is still difficult to remove, sprinkle coarse salt on the area and use a lemon half to scrub the salt and food particles. Rinse the pan with hot water and dry it thoroughly.

2. Can I use soap to clean my cast iron pan?

It is not recommended to use soap on your cast iron pan as it can strip away the seasoning and leave a soapy residue. If you feel that soap is necessary, use a mild soap and be sure to rinse it off completely before drying the pan.

3. What if my pan has a burnt-on layer of chicken?

If your pan has a burnt-on layer of chicken, fill it with equal parts water and white vinegar and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer for a few minutes and then use a wooden spoon to scrape off the burnt bits. Rinse the pan with hot water and dry it thoroughly.

4. Can I use steel wool or a metal scrubber to clean my cast iron pan?

No, it is not recommended to use steel wool or a metal scrubber on your cast iron pan as it can scratch the surface and strip away the seasoning. Instead, use a stiff brush or scraper and if necessary, sprinkle coarse salt and use a lemon half to scrub the pan.

5. How do I prevent food from sticking to my cast iron pan in the first place?

To prevent food from sticking to your cast iron pan, make sure it is properly seasoned before use. Additionally, heat the pan before adding any food and use a small amount of oil or fat to create a non-stick surface. Avoid cooking acidic foods like tomatoes or citrus in your cast iron pan as they can break down the seasoning.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
  • JanisF
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • PamperedchefDaly
  • Products and Tips
Replies