• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Gifting Headache: How to Resolve Unexpected Check Payment

In summary, a guest received a check made out to Pampered Chef for $36.00 as a gift, but the host informed the guest that the check needed to be made out to them. The guest does not want to contact the giver for a new check or use a debit/credit card. The host suggested cancelling the order and offered to contact the person who wrote the check, but this was not an option. The guest asked if they could place an order with HO and use the check, but this option was not viable. It was questioned why someone would give a check made out to a business instead of a person, and it was suggested to contact the person who wrote the check and explain the situation. However, the guest is
flemings99
Gold Member
Guest got a "gift" in check form made out to Pampered Chef for $36.00

Host is closing out show and told guest I needed the check made out to me. Guest doesn't want to call "giver" to ask for a new ck or debit/cc.

Anyone know how to resolve this?

Host said to cxl her order, which won't affect host rewards. Offered to contact person who wrote check and explain the situation, but no go. Can she place an order with HO and actually use this ck?

Why would someone do that? :eek: "Hey, let's give Mom a $50 check made out to Target." Like that would work? Seriously.

How weird! I'd say contacting the person who wrote it and explaining that it can't be cashed by the consultant is the best bet. And no, Target would want the ID of the person writing the check, so I'm not sure why someone wouldn't consider that the same would go for any business person. You kind of need to know info on the person who wrote it for followup in case it bounces and to ensure that someone hasn't stolen a checkbook from another person. ;)

Right on, Sheila.

It's a first for me. Guest won't let me call them for her and she doesn't want to call either. Guess for now it's a loss for both of us. :(

The gifter will know that the check has not been cashed when she goes to balance her checkbook. ;)

ummm, isn't she gonna want her order? the host really thinks it's easier to tell someone they CANCELLED their order than to ask for a new check? what if it's a christmas present???

Just hyphen your name next to the Pampered chef part and they should take it. Put it through the ATM just to be sure. I do it once in a while and I haven't had a problem.

Example

Pay to the order of The Pampered Chef/Stephanie XXXX

I would call the guest and explain to her that you need it written out to her. It seems weird that she wont let you call the guest.

chefsteph07 said:
Just hyphen your name next to the Pampered chef part and they should take it. Put it through the ATM just to be sure. I do it once in a while and I haven't had a problem. ExamplePay to the order of The Pampered Chef/Stephanie XXXX
Although the check was intended for you, it's still considered Forgery to alter the face of a check. So be aware that they could technically file charges on you. It would be at the discretion of the judge/jury to find you guilty and odds are the ruling would be "not guilty" in criminal court since they would not be able to prove intent that you were trying to deprive the check owner of anything ... but it could still be a big hassle and expensive for you. I would advise against that practice for future reference. ;)Civil court is a whole different ball game. In Texas it's written as a perponderance of the evidence which means if there is the slightest chance that you did it, you could be found guilty. I would imagine that other states would be similar in their rules. :( My motto is "don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain in a court of law." Life is much easier that way! LOL

Sheila said:
Although the check was intended for you, it's still considered Forgery to alter the face of a check. So be aware that they could technically file charges on you. It would be at the discretion of the judge/jury to find you guilty and odds are the ruling would be "not guilty" in criminal court since they would not be able to prove intent that you were trying to deprive the check owner of anything ... but it could still be a big hassle and expensive for you. I would advise against that practice for future reference. ;)

Civil court is a whole different ball game. In Texas it's written as a perponderance of the evidence which means if there is the slightest chance that you did it, you could be found guilty. I would imagine that other states would be similar in their rules. :(

My motto is "don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain in a court of law." Life is much easier that way! LOL

Not to mention that it could certainly tarnish your reputation as a good consultant. It could really hurt you in the long run. Since the host has made it clear that she does not want you to contact the writer of the check, it seems that all you can do at this point is to simply let it go. It's unfortunate.

I had this happen to me a few times- I didn't realize it until I got to the bank and they told me. Both times the bank let the check go though. I must note that I didn't alter the check in any way other than putting the deposit information on the back as I normally do. Take it to the bank, as is, and see if they let it go through. If they don't then like Bethany said you are going to have to either let it go or contact the person who wrote it! Good luck!

My bank let me cash one made out to PC - had to get the manager involved, and was told they'd never do it again. You might as well try it!

I had the same experience as Shell Beach! They asked me if there was any way I could get another check from the person and I responded "it would be very difficult." They called the someone higher than the branch manager, and that person said he'd let it go. The woman told me to remember her name, and remember that she called so-and-so, in case there was a problem down the line.I wouldn't risk depositing it in the ATM, as if they don't accept the check, they will fine you. In my case it would have been $35.

This has happened to me a few times. I've never had trouble depositing the check as long as I endorsed it with both my name and account number. Then again, I live in a small town where nearly everyone knows I'm the Pampered Chef lady.

Sheila said:
Although the check was intended for you, it's still considered Forgery to alter the face of a check. So be aware that they could technically file charges on you. It would be at the discretion of the judge/jury to find you guilty and odds are the ruling would be "not guilty" in criminal court since they would not be able to prove intent that you were trying to deprive the check owner of anything ... but it could still be a big hassle and expensive for you. I would advise against that practice for future reference. ;)

Civil court is a whole different ball game. In Texas it's written as a perponderance of the evidence which means if there is the slightest chance that you did it, you could be found guilty. I would imagine that other states would be similar in their rules. :(

My motto is "don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain in a court of law." Life is much easier that way! LOL

I'd like to know if this has actually happened to anyone we know on here.

I guess if you are really worried about going to jail, I'd just sign the check and pray for the best. The worst that can happen is that you have to cancel the order.

On a completel and total side note, "ck" used to always mean "check" to me (after years of working AR, secretarial work, etc.)...

My how times have changed...

When I saw "ck made to PC?", I thought the OP was asking "Is ChefCKHall made to PC", and my thought was "well, duh!". Just had to share...

On a matter related to this thread, looks like you've gotten good advice. The couple of times this has happened to me, I've put "or [my name]" in the "to" section without incidence...

Also if you have a copy of your contract (printed it when you signed up online), take that to your bank and they can make your account a doing business as and they will then cash any checks made out to PC without any problem. Wish I had known that when I signed up, it would've saved me some headaches! And if you didn't print it, your out of luck, since home office does not keep our contracts on file at all. Speaking from experience!

If I were you I would call your bank and see if they will let you cash it.

flemings99 said:
Guest got a "gift" in check form made out to Pampered Chef for $36.00

Host is closing out show and told guest I needed the check made out to me. Guest doesn't want to call "giver" to ask for a new ck or debit/cc.

Anyone know how to resolve this?

Host said to cxl her order, which won't affect host rewards. Offered to contact person who wrote check and explain the situation, but no go. Can she place an order with HO and actually use this ck?

Why would someone do that? :eek: "Hey, let's give Mom a $50 check made out to Target." Like that would work? Seriously.

In my opinion, this is your business, and you can certainly contact the guest as you see fit - the guest has given you her contact information, hasn't she?

If you still don't want to do that, I'd just try to deposit it as others have said. My bank has let me deposit checks made out to PC before!

nikked said:
On a completel and total side note, "ck" used to always mean "check" to me (after years of working AR, secretarial work, etc.)...My how times have changed...When I saw "ck made to PC?", I thought the OP was asking "Is ChefCKHall made to PC", and my thought was "well, duh!". Just had to share...On a matter related to this thread, looks like you've gotten good advice. The couple of times this has happened to me, I've put "or [my name]" in the "to" section without incidence...
HaHa! When I was in Real Estate my motto was a check mark "Check with CK" Tee Hee...Guess I was destined to be made to PC!As for the check, I am known as a Pampered Chef lady at the bank...most checks have Pampered Chef written in the note area too. I have taken checks made to Pampered Chef and they have taken them....so far...Thank the Lord.

Just sharing...I think it's very odd that the host doesn't want to contact the 'gift giver'. Perhaps this is a check the 'gift giver' doens't know about. If it were me, I would be very upset if no one called to let me know and the gift went ungiven...most people, I would say anyone that has actually written the check, would not have a problem voiding said check and writing a new one...with your name on it!! I would use caution with this situation....there is no really good reason coming to mind that no one would be allowed to call the person writing the check. Tread lightly....

JessBarszcz said:
Just sharing...I think it's very odd that the host doesn't want to contact the 'gift giver'. Perhaps this is a check the 'gift giver' doens't know about. If it were me, I would be very upset if no one called to let me know and the gift went ungiven...most people, I would say anyone that has actually written the check, would not have a problem voiding said check and writing a new one...with your name on it!! I would use caution with this situation....there is no really good reason coming to mind that no one would be allowed to call the person writing the check. Tread lightly....

I've been thinking this the entire time but wasn't sure how to say it.

Just take the check to the bank and deposit it. On my account, I have my name and Pampered Chef this way I can cash checks when they are written to Pampered Chef. This as suggested to my by the bank manager.

Wendy- did your bank ask you for a dba license?

Nope. It was all very easy. The account name is:

Wendy Love
Pampered Chef
address

ChefCKHall said:
HaHa! When I was in Real Estate my motto was a check mark "Check with CK" Tee Hee...Guess I was destined to be made to PC!

As for the check, I am known as a Pampered Chef lady at the bank...most checks have Pampered Chef written in the note area too. I have taken checks made to Pampered Chef and they have taken them....so far...Thank the Lord.

haha..when I read the title of the thread I thought that it was about you

cookingwithlove said:
Nope. It was all very easy. The account name is:

Wendy Love
Pampered Chef
address

except I think that violates PC policy. YOU are not Pampered Chef...you are supposed to list "Independent Consultant" on anything like that.

Most banks won't let you put a company name on the account unless you can prove that you are the company owner. Small town banks might overlook things that larger banks won't do for fear of fraud.

I was also thinking it was a PC policy violation to put their name on the account, but no time to go research, so not 100% positive. ;)

I deleted my messages because I do not advocate anybody breaking Pampered Chef rules. You should investigate the rules for yourself and determine what is appropriate.

Thanks for the advice. I've had checks made out to PC go through before but since we are on a tight deadline for x-mas delivery I didn't want to risk it. A consultant on my team uses the same bank location and they won't cash them for her.

The guest is an outside order so I've never met the person and host hasn't given me her contact info. as it is someone from work and she didn't have it. Guest was given the check by someone the host doesn't know. Host nor I have the check. I understand the host was in communication with the outside ordering guest and the guest didn't want to contact the person who had written the check nor me to contact them.

No word back from my host at this point.

Just remind the host and have her convey to the guest that the person WILL realize their gift was not used when the check is never cashed. It's better to address it now than complicate the balancing of the gift giver's checkbook for weeks/months to come. ;)

I have had a similar experience ... the customer made the check out to PC, I pointed it out to the host, who worked with the lady. She took it back to her and had her write my name next to it as in "Pampered Chef Jane Doe" and initial next to it. No problem!

The person can make changes to checks as long as they initial it to indicate that they made the changes. I've never had a problem with this.

I don't understand about not being able to contact the customer. I would certainly not give her her products if you have not received payment!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisasfuncooking
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cheflorraine
  • susan g
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pampered.chris
  • luvtocook