• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tear-Jerking Christmas Envelopes: A Heartwarming Tradition

In summary, the conversation was about a touching and heartwarming story of a family's Christmas tradition involving a small white envelope that brought joy and tears to their eyes every year. The tradition started when the wife decided to give her husband a special gift after learning about a wrestling match between privileged and underprivileged boys. This act of kindness sparked a tradition of giving back to those in need, which continued even after the husband's passing. The conversation ended with everyone being moved and reminded of the true meaning of Christmas.
Kodeysmom
Gold Member
I read this every year and it still brings tears to my eyes. Enjoy:cry:

Holiday Inspirations!!

The Christmas Envelopes
It's just a small, white envelope stuck among the branches of our Christmas tree. No name, no identification, no inscription. It has peeked through the branches of our tree for the past 10 years or so. It all began because my husband Mike hated Christmas ... oh, not the true meaning of Christmas, but the commercial aspects of it-overspending. The frantic running around at the last minute to get a tie for Uncle Harry and the dusting powder for Grandma ... the gifts given in desperation because you couldn't think of anything else.
Knowing he felt this way, I decided one year to bypass the usual shirts, sweaters, ties and so forth. I reached for something special just for Mike. The inspiration came in an unusual way. Our son Kevin, who was 12 that year, was wrestling at the junior level at the school he attended; and shortly before Christmas, there was a non-league match against a team sponsored by an inner-city church. These youngsters, dressed in sneakers so ragged that shoestrings seemed to be the only thing holding them together, presented a sharp contrast to our boys in their spiffy blue and gold uniforms and sparkling new wrestling shoes.

As the match began, I was alarmed to see that the other team was wrestling without headgear, a kind of light helmet designed to protect a wrestler's ears. It was a luxury the ragtag team obviously could not afford. Well, we ended up walloping them. We took every weight class. And as each of their boys got up from the mat, he swaggered around in his tatters with false bravado, a kind of street pride that couldn't acknowledge defeat.
Mike, seated beside me, shook his head sadly, "I wish just one of them could have won," he said. "They have a lot of potential, but losing like this could take the heart right out of them." Mike loved kids-all kids-and he knew them, having coached little league football, baseball and lacrosse.

That's when the idea for his present came. That afternoon, I went to a local sporting goods store and bought an assortment of wrestling headgear and shoes and sent them anonymously to the inner-city church. On Christmas Eve, I placed the envelope on the tree, the note inside telling Mike what I had done and that this was his gift from me.
His smile was the brightest thing about Christmas that year and in succeeding years. For each Christmas, I followed the tradition ... one year sending a group of mentally handicapped youngsters to a hockey game, another year a check to a pair of elderly brothers whose home had burned to the ground the week before Christmas, and on and on. The envelope became the highlight of our Christmas. It was always the last thing opened on Christmas morning and our children, ignoring their new toys, would stand with wide-eyed anticipation as their dad lifted the envelope from the tree to reveal its contents. As the children grew, the toys gave way to more practical presents, but the envelope never lost its allure.

The story doesn't end there. You see, we lost Mike last year due to dreaded cancer. When Christmas rolled around, I was still so wrapped in grief that I barely got the tree up. But Christmas Eve found me placing an envelope on the tree, and in the morning, it was joined by three more. Each of our children, unbeknownst to the others, had placed an envelope on the tree for their dad.

The tradition has grown and someday will expand even further with our grandchildren standing around the tree with wide-eyed anticipation watching as their fathers take down the envelope. Mike's spirit, like the Christmas spirit, will always be with us.
May we all remember Christ, who is the reason for the season, and the true Christmas spirit this year and always.
Author Unknown

It never gets old. Does it? Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for sharing that today! I have been holding some "stuff" in lately and really needed a good cry! You broke the floodgates with that one!

Going to get some kleenex now,

Okay, now I am getting weird looks at work, because I am sitting here bawling at work.

I'm reading this while on the phone and having to explain that I need to hang up as I'm bawling!!

I think I needed this cry more than anything, but it also brings true meaning of Christmas.

Lisa

I just got done watching Christmas shoes to come and read this I have been crying for the last 1 1/2 now. Wonderful story.

I had forgotten this story - thanks for sharing:)!

What a wonderful reminder of what it's really about.

Thanks so much for the reminder!! It is so important to remember those less fortunate than we during this time of year. To give back to those who give so much.

That is a lovely story. I haven't seen it before.

Wow - I must've been hiding in a closet for years. I've never read this, but it's wonderful. And yes, I have tears in my eyes right now.

Wonderful Story. We tend to let our business interfere with Christmas, and this story reminded me of that. Thank you for my tears.

1. What is a Christmas Envelope?

A Christmas Envelope is a special gift wrap that is designed to hold a variety of small gifts or treats. It has multiple pockets or compartments that can be filled with different items, creating a unique and personalized gift for the recipient.

2. How do I use a Christmas Envelope?

Using a Christmas Envelope is simple and fun. First, fill each pocket or compartment with a different gift or treat. Then, fold and seal the envelope using the provided stickers or ribbons. Finally, add a personalized message or card and give it to your loved one.

3. What makes a Christmas Envelope different from regular gift wrap?

A Christmas Envelope adds an element of surprise and excitement to gift-giving. It allows you to give multiple small gifts in a unique and creative way. It also eliminates the need for traditional wrapping paper and can be reused for future gift-giving.

4. Are there any special occasions or holidays where a Christmas Envelope is particularly popular?

While Christmas is the most popular holiday for giving Christmas Envelopes, they can also be used for other occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day, and even as a thoughtful thank-you gift.

5. Can I purchase pre-made Christmas Envelopes or do I have to make my own?

At Pampered Chef, we offer a variety of pre-made Christmas Envelopes that are ready to fill and give. However, if you prefer a more personalized touch, you can also purchase our Christmas Envelope Kit which includes all the materials and instructions to make your own unique envelopes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefjeanine
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Chef Kearns
  • thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jdavis
  • baychef