• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Christmas Countdown & Organizing Tips | 82 Days Left Until Christmas

In summary, Kattyshchack is counting down the days until Christmas, while Kelly is sharing her experience of moving and decorating on Christmas Eve.
Wow Rae - thanks for the Ukranian tip!!! I should be full of LOTS of luck!!!!!

Today is December 19. There are only 6 days left until Christmas!In Sweden, a common Christmas decoration is the Julbukk, a small figurine of a goat. It is usually made of straw. Scandinavian Christmas festivities feature a variety of straw decorations in the form of stars, angels, hearts and other shapes, as well as the Julbukk. Looks like I should add a goat to my nativity set.

Today is December 20. There are only 5 days left until Christmas!Are you ready to record those special memories? Make sure you have all you need to take the pictures and videos you'll want this year. Here's a short list to get you started:Batteries
Film
New digital storage (or clear out your old one)
Cables for dowloading/printing

Thanks Rae, I need to go to CVS and clear off my memory stick. I really need to get one that holds more photos.

You can sometimes find them really cheap at Walmart.

Thanks I will have to check that out after Christmas. I did go today and put all my pictures on a CD, so I will have room for Christmas pictures. I am usually really good about printing all my pictures because I love to scrapbook, but I have been so busy lately I have a ton of pictures to do I hope to get some done while I am not working until after New Years.

Today is December 21. There are only 4 days left until Christmas!If you're like me, you're making trips to family gatherings. There are so many things to remember to take--gifts, food, pictures, camera, etc. Here's what I do to help keep me from leaving something behind. I use a laundry basket. At least one day before the gathering, I start putting things in the basket. If, like today, I have a refrigerated food item to include, I put a reminder in. Today I'm taking a trifle, so I've laid a serving spoon in a zippered bag right on top. This way we don't get half-way there and either have to turn around or stop to pick something up.

Today is December 22. There are only 3 days left until Christmas!These are the words that strike fear into the hearts of parents on Christmas morning:Some Assembly RequiredBatteries Not IncludedIf those words appear on any of the gifts you're giving this year, prepare now. Have a small tool kit handy. Make sure there are plenty of batteries on hand in various sizes. Oh yeah, and make sure you have something with which to open those adult-proof packages, too. LOL!

raebates said:
Today is December 22. There are only 3 days left until Christmas!

These are the words that strike fear into the hearts of parents on Christmas morning:

Some Assembly Required

Batteries Not Included

If those words appear on any of the gifts you're giving this year, prepare now. Have a small tool kit handy. Make sure there are plenty of batteries on hand in various sizes. Oh yeah, and make sure you have something with which to open those adult-proof packages, too. LOL!

My kids would say 2 days and a wake up!

I will pull some of those wretched toys from the box and have hubby install batteries and put them together Christmas eve and THEN Santa will wrap them. Makes my life easier the next morning and there is no impatient wiggles while they wait for sleep deprived mom and dad to work that tiny screwdriver!

Thats exactly what my 4 1/2 year old DS is saying. We are having so much fun this year-besides the fact that my DH is sick with a sore throat, cough, etc and he believes he is on his death bed. and that my DS woke up this morning puking-so they are both home sick today. (I work at home.)

Koolotus said:
My kids would say 2 days and a wake up!

QUOTE]

Freedom my DD was up puking all night. She says she feels better right now. Hopefully it was something she ate last night.

Rae thanks for the battery reminder I know I have at least 2 toys that require batteries.

Rae thanks for these awesome reminders, tips and facts! This is the first time I've opened this thread so I have totally missed out!! :cry:Wah!! Thank you!!:love:

yes Rae,
Thank you very much. I am feeling a bit melancoly, and I am hoping to revive my Christmas Spirit. Things are not quite working out as we had planned and due to the weather, plans for the weekend after Christmas have been canceled. I am excited that my 2 girls are coming home for Christmas, in fact, my oldest will be coming after work, and staying until Saturday. My youngest will arrive about Midnight on Christmas Eve. They both requested a big Christmas dinner, but it looks like it will just be them, and DH and I. We were so excited about having Christmas here this year, and not running from place to place, but now it is just us here. Please hel;p me come up with some ideas of what we can do as a small group to make it memorable.

mrssyvo said:
yes Rae,
Thank you very much. I am feeling a bit melancoly, and I am hoping to revive my Christmas Spirit. Things are not quite working out as we had planned and due to the weather, plans for the weekend after Christmas have been canceled. I am excited that my 2 girls are coming home for Christmas, in fact, my oldest will be coming after work, and staying until Saturday. My youngest will arrive about Midnight on Christmas Eve. They both requested a big Christmas dinner, but it looks like it will just be them, and DH and I. We were so excited about having Christmas here this year, and not running from place to place, but now it is just us here. Please hel;p me come up with some ideas of what we can do as a small group to make it memorable.

I'm struggling too, Sue. I was so looking forward to everyone being here for Christmas - and now, because of the weather, it's just going to be us. I just can't get into making a big dinner for the 3 of us....and although I know we will have a wonderful time hanging out together - I have that little bit of melancholy too.

It's been fun doing the countdown. I'm glad others have found it entertaining and helpful.Becky, I know you've gone from the highs of "they'll be here" to the lows of "weather is keeping them away." It sounds like you're suffering from a similar disappointment, Sue. The melancholy is natural. Frankly, I've had years when I never did get all jolly about celebrating Christmas. Sometimes a more subdued remembrance is all our hearts can handle.As for making things memorable, that's a very individual thing. Christmas day is just The Furry Guy, our Baby Boy, and me. We like to spread the day out. Since our Baby Boy is now 22 years old, he's not up at the crack of dawn. It's usually closer to the crack of noon. LOL! Once everyone's awake we open stockings, then have breakfast together. As you may remember, I'm up at about 4 a.m. every morning, so I have plenty of time to make breakfast. After breakfast, we open gifts. The rest of the day is spent watching movies, talking, and napping. Dinner is mostly done ahead of time, so I don't have to spend lots of time in the kitchen. We generally eat dinner about 2 p.m. It's not particularly exciting, but we enjoy spending time together. Only you can

Becky, Thank you for responding in kind- I was afraid to post how I was feeling, because everyone else is so excited, and I was, along about
Dec 16th- but now, it is beginning to feel like something I need to get over, and that is not fair to the girls, who are so excited about being home. I think maybe I will spend some time this afternoon praying for an attitude adjustment before they get here. We are having a New Years Eve party this year, our first here, since we moved, and our neighbors are so excited about it, but then I am hosting my in-laws on New Years Day, which removes some of that excitement. yes, I think I need an prayer-adjustment

I know how many of you feel - melancholy - I feel this as well. I'm going to a friend's funeral tomorrow (39 yr old who died of cancer on Friday) and I just can't get into the spirit. I'm just too sad for his family and can't stop thinking about him. I really can't believe Christmas is 3 days away - hoping to get into the spirit soon for my kids.

Chances are good that if you go through the motions your kids will never know that you're feeling low. Kids tend to be mostly self-focused. There's nothing at all wrong with feeling sad for your friend's family. As a matter of fact, I'd be a bit concerned for you if you felt happy and jolly so soon after the loss of a friend.

Well, I have had an attitude adjustment, and even though I am not swinging from the chimney in a Santa Suit, I have a new outlook on things. Here is what the Lord reminded me of, and I thought I would share. Even though we will not have a houseful of people, I am thankful I have a warm home, and family to share it with. The shelters are filled with people who do not have a place to call home. I am thankful that my girls are coming home. My DD's boyfriend is in Afghanastan, and I know his mom wishes he were home. Even if they were not coming home (I am thankful they are) I am thankful my girls are alive and well and healthy !!! Many families have lost loved ones this year, and are finding it very hard to face the holiday. Even though my DH has to work the day after Christmas, I am thankful he has a job to go to. Many families are struggling this year, without jobs, and without gifts for their family. I wished that my brother's family was coming the weekend after Christmas, but once again, I am thankful that even though they can not make it then, it does not mean that they did not want to come, and that I have healthy relationships with my brothers. So many families are at odds this time of the year. Thank you. Lord for this wake up call, and I pray that I will continue to be thankful that all YOU have blessed me with. Thank you for the attitude adjustment, and I am glad it only took a couple hours. I could have wasted several days at the pity-party !!!!

I'm glad you were listening closely enough to respond to His gentle nudge. I struggled last year with getting into the holiday spirit. For me it was necessary to focus on the quiet way the whole thing started--one little baby born amongst the livestock. I didn't feel like turning cartwheels, but I was able to be grateful for the amazing gift of God's presence here on earth.

Today is December 23. There are only two days left until Christmas!Animal Crackers are not really crackers, but cookies that were imported to the United States from England in the late 1800s. Barnum's circus-like boxes were designed with a string handle so that they could be hung on a Christmas tree.Cookies are definitely a Christmas tradition in our home. We make up goodie boxes for our mail and newspaper carriers, as well as for our neighbors.

raebates said:
It's been fun doing the countdown. I'm glad others have found it entertaining and helpful.

Becky, I know you've gone from the highs of "they'll be here" to the lows of "weather is keeping them away." It sounds like you're suffering from a similar disappointment, Sue. The melancholy is natural. Frankly, I've had years when I never did get all jolly about celebrating Christmas. Sometimes a more subdued remembrance is all our hearts can handle.

As for making things memorable, that's a very individual thing. Christmas day is just The Furry Guy, our Baby Boy, and me. We like to spread the day out. Since our Baby Boy is now 22 years old, he's not up at the crack of dawn. It's usually closer to the crack of noon. LOL! Once everyone's awake we open stockings, then have breakfast together. As you may remember, I'm up at about 4 a.m. every morning, so I have plenty of time to make breakfast. After breakfast, we open gifts. The rest of the day is spent watching movies, talking, and napping. Dinner is mostly done ahead of time, so I don't have to spend lots of time in the kitchen. We generally eat dinner about 2 p.m. It's not particularly exciting, but we enjoy spending time together.

Only you can

I'm feeling much better today. I'm not sure if I needed so much an attitude adjustment as I needed to just find a new groove for the Holiday. I had to switch plans for what we will do, and that was hard for a little while - but now, I'm looking forward to spending time with my Boys! We are pretty much snowed in for the next few days - it has been snowing continually since Sat. evening, and the roads are horrible. I braved them yesterday to do a few last minute things, but now, we are all set for Christmas.

I just called my DB & SIL to let them know I mailed out their gifts yesterday, and we chatted for a while. That made me feel better. They are warm and safe, and together as a family. (a good thing since DB is a Marine!) They have been baking and decorating for Christmas, since now they are going to be home - so we talked about what we have been making and what we will be making for Christmas. We are a family of cooks, so that's very important with our family traditions. It's funny to find out that we are making a lot of the same things!

We decided to not do a big dinner for Christmas day. We have a big brunch w/ Breakfast Casserole, and Fruit Salad, and cinnamon rolls....and DH said he is fine with that. So we will be doing appetizers and finger foods for dinner and to munch on throughout the day. Here is what we are having:

Greek Cheese Torta
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Pizza Rolls (all natural ones from Costco!:rolleyes:)
Chips & Cheese w/ salsa
Crab Ragoon
Shrimp Cocktail
Stuffed Mushrooms
Christmas cookies and other goodies.
Happy Birthday Jesus cake

Becky, I am glad you are feeling better as well. We have invited a neighbor couple to dinner. He is a retired pastor, and he and his wife are going into the city for Dinner with their son later in the day, but are coming for lunch. We are excited.

Since there have been a few posts about not really feeling the Christmas spirit, I'm sharing the following that I received from Encouragement for Today. It's specifically geared toward those who are struggling a bit. Be forewarned, this is a Christian devotional.

Christmas JOY

Marybeth Whalen​

"You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever."

Psalm 16:11 (NASB)

Devotion:

Presents to buy. Presents to wrap. Groceries to buy. Parties to attend. People to see. Wishes to fill. So much to do, so little time! We might have begun the Christmas season with the intent of finding joy this year, yet lost our good intentions somewhere between our children's case of the "gimmies" and the crowded parking lots at the mall. Where is the joy we sing about in all those Christmas carols? Where is the Christmas spirit we are supposed to have?

As our verse tells us today, it's not in any of those things that fill our days this time of year. It's not in the candy-streaked faces of our little children. It's not in the guilt we feel that we can't possibly see all the family we want to. It's not even in those moments of giving or serving our families. We can't manufacture joy, or create eternal pleasures, though we try so hard to. Oh, we might get glimpses of joy--but we won't experience the fullness of joy unless we immerse ourselves in God's presence.

You might be thinking, How can I do that? You haven't seen my "to do" list!

Might I offer a suggestion? Tomorrow morning, set your alarm for fifteen minutes earlier. Just fifteen. Then turn to a psalm, or a chapter in one of your favorite books of the Bible. I love the richness of Isaiah, the encounters with Jesus in John, and the wisdom in Proverbs. Ask God to help you choose what you most need to hear from Him. Then get out a journal or spiral bound notebook and write out some concerns you are having, jot down a verse that meant something to you. This is yours, so there is no right or wrong way to do it!

Next, spend a few minutes praying, marking the beginning of a conversation that will go on throughout the day. Then go and begin your day, taking God's presence with you. When stress mounts, ask Him for peace. When chaos reigns, ask Him for clarity. When anger boils, ask Him for gentleness.

I am not promising a perfect life will result. Nor am I promising instant change. What I am promising is that slowly but surely, as you build on this habit, your time with the Lord will increase out of desire for more, and your dependence on Him will too. This is not something you do out of guilt or obligation. It's not something you do to be a "good Christian," scanning the ceiling as you dutifully have your quiet time, hoping He sees you and pours out His blessings in return. Instead this is about experiencing what it means to have a "friend that sticks closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:24, NIV). It is about knowing the joy that is only found in His presence, because you carry it with you--at Christmas, and all through the year.

Dear Lord, Thank You for helping me realize that I can't make joy happen this Christmas. Help me in the coming days to intentionally enter into Your presence, and help me find true joy when I do. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Thank you, Rae

Today is December 24. There is only 1 day left until Christmas!Save your memories. If you don't have one already, start a Christmas journal. After each gathering write down the fun, funny, interesting, exasperating, and maddening things that happened. I know you're thinking, "I'll remember that forever!" However, chances are good that most of those will be gone by mid-January.

Rae, thank you so much for this thread I have loved reading it everyday and seeing what traditions everyone has. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years.

Gifts for the cousins have been wrapped,
Breakfast casserole for tomorrow is assembled and in the refrigerator,
Final cookies have been decorated,
Tray of goodies for Grandma's house is ready to go,
Last load of laundry is in the dryer,

Now - we just need to pick up the clutter,
take bath/showers,
fold the load of towels in the dryer,
Assemble veggie tray for Grandma's house,

And we are ready to leave for Christmas Eve with DH's family!

DS and I have been watching Christmas cartoons off and on all day while we work around the house. It's been a fun, relaxing day. I'm so glad we don't have any last minute rushing around to do!

Today is December 25.

It's here! It's here!

Merry Christmas!

Today is December 26. There are only 364 days left until Christmas.I promise not to do a countdown from now until Christmas 2009. However, this is the ideal time to do a few things that will give you a good head start. 1) Think about what worked and what didn't. Those things that made you say, "I'll never do that again," or "Oh, I wish I'd . . . " could soon be forgotten. By making note now, you'll make next year run smoother. If you need a little help, check out the attachment. It's a debriefing form from organizedchristmas.com. Put your notes in your Christmas file, box, or notebook--wherever you keep all of that info.2) Take a look around. What decorations need to be replaced or repaired? Replacements will be cheaper if you pick them up in the next week or so. At the very least, make note for next year. Again, place this wherever you keep all of that stuff.3) Start a master gift list. Aunt Gert went wild over Aunt June's lotion? Little Timmy ignored anything that didn't have dinosaurs on it? You overheard Uncle Joe say that the next person who gave him a ________ would find it inserted in a body cavity? Start a list of likes and dislikes, and use it to either buy things or record ideas throughout the year. Finally, have your kids written their thank you notes? Have you? Don't delay. I've enjoyed doing this countdown. Thanks so much to all of you who read, commented, and/or joined in. Have a very Happy New Year!

Attachments

• Christmas Debriefing.pdf
    101.8 KB · Views: 411
Rae - you are so organized! I've already made notes in my 2009 calendar to get myself in gear much quicker for next Christmas!

Yep, I'm very organized. Not so neat, but very organized. ;)

Thank you Rae for mentioning thank you letters! Every year we never hear a single word from my niece and nephew. I never ever know if they enjoy their gifts. It has always bothered me that we never even get a thank you over the phone. I may not have had the best up bringing but we were always told to mind our manners!

<h2>1. What is the significance of the 82-day countdown to Christmas?</h2><p>The 82-day countdown to Christmas is a fun way to track the days leading up to the holiday and get into the festive spirit. It also serves as a reminder to start planning and organizing for Christmas celebrations.</p><h2>2. How can I stay organized during the holiday season?</h2><p>One tip is to create a designated area for Christmas-related items, such as a closet or storage bin, to keep everything in one place. Another helpful idea is to make a list and schedule for gift shopping, decorating, and other tasks to stay on top of everything.</p><h2>3. What are some creative gift ideas for Christmas?</h2><p>Some unique gift ideas include homemade gifts like baked goods or crafts, experiences like cooking classes or concert tickets, and personalized gifts like photo albums or custom-made items.</p><h2>4. How can I save money on Christmas shopping?</h2><p>Start early and take advantage of sales and discounts throughout the year. Consider making homemade gifts or setting a budget for each person. You can also opt for a Secret Santa or White Elephant gift exchange to save on buying gifts for everyone.</p><h2>5. What should I do with leftover Halloween candy for Christmas?</h2><p>One idea is to use the candy as stocking stuffers, as long as it is still sealed in its original packaging. You can also freeze chocolate candy to use for baking or make festive treats like candy cane bark or chocolate-covered pretzels. Alternatively, donate extra candy to a local shelter or charity. </p>

1. What is the significance of the 82-day countdown to Christmas?

The 82-day countdown to Christmas is a fun way to track the days leading up to the holiday and get into the festive spirit. It also serves as a reminder to start planning and organizing for Christmas celebrations.

2. How can I stay organized during the holiday season?

One tip is to create a designated area for Christmas-related items, such as a closet or storage bin, to keep everything in one place. Another helpful idea is to make a list and schedule for gift shopping, decorating, and other tasks to stay on top of everything.

3. What are some creative gift ideas for Christmas?

Some unique gift ideas include homemade gifts like baked goods or crafts, experiences like cooking classes or concert tickets, and personalized gifts like photo albums or custom-made items.

4. How can I save money on Christmas shopping?

Start early and take advantage of sales and discounts throughout the year. Consider making homemade gifts or setting a budget for each person. You can also opt for a Secret Santa or White Elephant gift exchange to save on buying gifts for everyone.

5. What should I do with leftover Halloween candy for Christmas?

One idea is to use the candy as stocking stuffers, as long as it is still sealed in its original packaging. You can also freeze chocolate candy to use for baking or make festive treats like candy cane bark or chocolate-covered pretzels. Alternatively, donate extra candy to a local shelter or charity.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • raebates
  • General Chat