• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Christmas Countdown & Organizing Tips | 82 Days Left Until Christmas

In summary, Kattyshchack is counting down the days until Christmas, while Kelly is sharing her experience of moving and decorating on Christmas Eve.
nicki25 said:
I like to make my own cards. We normally send around 40 out so I make about 50 just to have a few left over. I need to get them done (they are 1/2 done) so that I can send them out.

I like to make my own as well. I finished them up last night.

nicki25 said:
I like to make my own cards. We normally send around 40 out so I make about 50 just to have a few left over. I need to get them done (they are 1/2 done) so that I can send them out.

I used to make my own cards I loved doing it. But after I had my DS I stopped, now that he is older and I have more time on my hands I really should start making them again. Well there is always next year. :D

Today is December 2. There are only 23 days left until Christmas!

Did you know this? Before settling on the name of Tiny Tim for his character in A Christmas Carol, three other alternative names were considered by Charles Dickens. They were Little Larry, Puny Pete, and Small Sam. I don't know about you, but I'm glad he settled on Tiny Tim.

Do you have a book or movie that is so much a part of your Christmas celebration that it just wouldn't be the same without it? Personally, I re-read A Christmas Carol each year. I also read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever!, The Autobiography of Santa Claus, How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas, and The Great Santa Search.

As for movies, here's my must-see list:

A Christmas Carol (the old one with Alistair Sim--it's the closest to the book)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Miracle on 34th Street
A Christmas Story

The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant, David Niven, and Loretta Young--my favorite; it's fabulous!)

And, of course, there are those TV specials from my childhood. I don't watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas until my Grinch Party, but I watch it lots after that. :)

I have this book that I got in 1994 up in Vermont that I just lived. It's called The Story of Santa Claus. I read it when I got it and put it away then when I had my DS in 1999 I got it out and we read it every December. It's a great book and has wonderful illistations. My DS loves it, he like to save the last page to read on Christmas Eve when we get home from my DS famies house. It's like 11:00pm and he is falling asleep as I am reading but he wouldn't have it any other way and neither woudl I.

How sweet.

Today is December 3. There are only 22 days left until Christmas.Did you know this? Christmas trees are edible. Many parts of pines, spruces, and firs can be eaten. The needles are a good source of vitamin C. Pine nuts and pine cones (before they're dried and hard, of course) are also a good source of nutrition. Artificial trees, on the other hand, are not. ;)

I got to say if I have a cold and need a little extra vitamin C I rather take a vitamin pill or maybe some orange juice instead of munching on a pine tree. :) But if I am every lost in the woods and I am hungry it's good too know.

When I read that bit of trivia I kept hearing Eule Gibbons saying, "Many parts of the pine tree are edible." It was the start to a Grape-Nuts commercial that aired when I was a kid. I like pine nuts, but can't say I've ever been tempted to munch on the needles.

Today is December 4. There are only 21 days left until Christmas! (That's right--only 3 weeks!)Did you know this? Frustrated at the lack of interest in his new toy invention, Charles Pajeau hired several little people, dressed them in elf costumes, and had them play with Tinker Toys in a display window at a Chicago department store during the Christmas season in 1914. This publicity stunt made the construction toy an instant hit. A year later, over a million sets of Tinker Toys had been sold.

Today is December 5. There are only 20 days left until Christmas!Did you know this? In France there are different and dining traditions in different parts of the country. In the south a Christmas loaf (pain calendeau) is cut crosswise and is eaten only after the first part has been given to a poor person. In Brittany, buckwheat cakes and sour cream is the most popular main dish. In Alsace, a roasted goose is the preferred entree. In Burgundy, turkey and chestnuts are favored. In the Paris region, oysters are the favorite holiday dish, followed by a cake shaped like a Yule log.In 1647, the English parliament passed a law that made Christmas illegal. Festivities were banned by Puritan leader Oliver Cromwell, who considered feasting and revelry on what was supposed to be a holy day to be immoral. The ban was lifted only when the Puritans lost power in 1660.Christmas has a wonderful history and a wealth of traditions around the world. Spend a little time exploring. Your library is a great resource. Of course, you can always find lots of interesting info on the internet.

Rae..I just wanted to tell you are too cute..I feel your excitement about Christmas through this thread.....Love it..I don't post much but I read alot!!! My twins have a birthday on the 15th then I get excited for Christmas!!!

raebates said:
Today is December 5. There are only 20 days left until Christmas!

Did you know this? In Brittany, buckwheat cakes and sour cream is the most popular main dish.
Sorry Rae - have to play evil here (remember the horns from 2 conferences ago???) Brittany - she has her own country now?? :D I know, I'm wrong, very wrong.

Aww, thanks Lisa. I tend to be kind of excitable. Andrea, I thought the same thing. LOL!

Today is December 6. There are only 19 days left until Christmas!Did you know this? In 1947 Toys for Tots started making the holidays a little happier for children by organizing its first Christmas toy drive for needy youngsters. This is a great time of year to remind ourselves and our children that giving to others is a gift we give ourselves. Whether it's Toys for Tots, Operation Christmas Child, dropping a little $ in the red Salvation Army kettle, or some other way, consider sharing your blessings with others this holiday season.

Every day I go to organizedchristmas.com. Many of the ideas here (especially the ones for early preparation) come from that site. Today there were two entries. The first was to place your order for your Christmas dinner's main dish. Whether it's duck, goose, beef roast, or something more exotic, if you order now you will have what you really want. Those who wait have to make do with what's available.The second was the end of the countdown. Oh, there are still 19 days left until Christmas. They point out that most of us still have things to get done. That's normal. As they say, "That's why the Countdown ends where it does. There's still time to complete holiday preparation, and nearly all of us will need it." They'll return at the end of the season with a post-holiday debriefing. Making notes and plans then, when all of those "next year we'll . . . " ideas are floating through your head will help make next year's preparations even easier.Having never participated with Organized Christmas' countdown before, I didn't know when (or if) it would come to an end. I've enjoyed it, and it helped me get an even better start on the holidays this year.This countdown will continue, since I'd already switched from get-ready ideas to trivia. I'll need your help next week, though. I'll be leaving for Dallas on Wednesday, 12/10. I'll return late on Sunday, 12/14. I don't expect to have computer access during that time.

Today is December 7. There are only 18 days left until Christmas!Did you know this? Long before it was used as a "kiss encourager" during the Christmas season, mistletoe had long been considered to have magic powers by Celtic and Teutonic peoples. It was said to have the ability to heal wounds and increase fertility. Celts hung mistletoe in their homes in order to bring themselves good luck and ward off evil spirits.

Today is December 8. There are only 17 days left until Christmas!

Okay, so I lied. i told you I was done giving Christmas tips. Well, I came across one today that I just had to share. You know you need to keep extra Christmas tree light bulbs and fuses, ornament hooks, a maybe a few other little things at hand. Take a small box. Wrap the lid and box separately so you can open it without unwrapping it. Put all of those little things that need to be kept handy in that box. Put a bow on top and place it under the tree. It will look good while keeping all of those little supplies handy.

Did you know this? The Twelve Days of Christmas was different from region to region for quite a while. They became standardized in England during the persecution of Catholics by Protestant monarchs. Legend has it that the "true love" represented God. The twelve gifts represented articles of faith:

Partridge in a Pear Tree - Christ
2 Turtle Doves - Old and New Testaments
3 French Hens - Faith, Hope and Charity (the theological virtues)
4 Calling Birds - The 4 Gospels
5 Golden Rings - The Pentateuch (first 5 Books of the Bible)
6 Geese A-laying - Days of Creation
7 Swans A-swimming - The 7 Sacraments
8 Maids A-milking - The Beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing - Fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords A-leaping - 10 Commandments
11 Pipers Piping - The Faithful Apostles
12 Drummers Drumming - Points of the Apostle's Creed

While there is controversy over whether this is fact or fiction, it's still an interesting way to look at The Twelve Days of Christmas.

Today is December 9. There are only 16 days left until Christmas!Did you know this? The custom of singing Christmas carols is very old. The earliest English collection was published in 1521. My favorite Christmas carol is What Child Is This? What's yours?

Today is December 10. There are only 15 days left until Christmas!Did you know this? The Puritans outlawed the celebration of Christmas. Anyone caught singing Christmas carols was arrested and fined. Sing those carols loud and proud today!Reminder: We leave this morning for Dallas to attend our son's graduation. I won't be back at my computer until Monday. If someone else wants to continue the countdown, great. If not, it will return when I do.

raebates said:
Today is December 9. There are only 16 days left until Christmas!

Did you know this? The custom of singing Christmas carols is very old. The earliest English collection was published in 1521. My favorite Christmas carol is What Child Is This? What's yours?

Mine is Carol of the Bells, whether I'm singing along or just listening. I was an Alto in high school chorus and for that song always wished we had the soprano part!!:)

Today is December 15. There are only 10 days left until Christmas!Ten days, people! Well, I guess we're close enough to Christmas that everyone is well aware of how little time is left. This will be my last countdown entry. I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!

Awww...too bad it's your last entry, I've really enjoyed reading this!

Thanks, Steph. I've enjoyed doing it.

Thanks Rae, I really liked reading your posts. You gave me some good ideas, I hope you enjoy your Christmas.

Rae, please don't stop!

I've loved this thread (while it also been freaking me out by reminding me how completely UNREADY I am, LOL!

My favourite carol? I can't choose just one...

O Holy Night
Mary did you know (especially when sung by Hailey Westenra)
Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth (Bing Crosby and David Bowie - how I didn't hear this before this year, I don't know, but I LOVE this version).
Silent Night
I know there are more, I'll have to come back and up-date!

I just figured everyone was sick of me by now. If you guys are willing to read it, I'm willing to do it.Today is December 16. There are only 9 days left until Christmas!Have you started receiving Christmas cards? I have. Be sure to match the addresses to your address book. This is a great time to update any outdated info. If you're not in the mood to do it right now, you can always throw the envelopes into a basket or folder so you can update things in January.

AnnieBee said:
Rae, please don't stop!

I've loved this thread (while it also been freaking me out by reminding me how completely UNREADY I am, LOL!

My favourite carol? I can't choose just one...

O Holy Night
Mary did you know (especially when sung by Hailey Westenra)
Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth (Bing Crosby and David Bowie - how I didn't hear this before this year, I don't know, but I LOVE this version).
Silent Night
I know there are more, I'll have to come back and up-date!

I love them all - but I do really like that version of Little Drummer Boy!

This year though, I think my favorite is Hark The Herald Angels Sing - just because DS has developed a love for it, and belts it out all of the time. It's hilarious listening to his fractured version....I keep trying to get it on video, but he stops singing every time he sees the camera.

Last night, I stayed up late watching White Christmas, and wrapping gifts. Tonight, I'll probably stay up watching Miracle on 54th Street, and finish up wrapping.

I have to wrap while DS is sleeping - because he can't keep a secret this year, and because both of my guys complain about my Christmas movies. That's okay - I like the quiet time by myself. I enjoy wrapping gifts, so it's fun to not have anything else to do except watch an old movie and wrap.

Today is a baking day! We are doing breads, sugar cookies, and fudge today.

No Rae - not sick of it at all. It's the fun and enjoyable thread to read!!! :) One of my favorite Christmas songs is the old song "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas"!! It just makes me smile even thinking of it!!!

Rae! Hooray, I love the christmas countdown. Favorite song.....Dominick the Donkey
ecky, don't feel bad. I watch all my old movies alone too :)
I think I prefer it that way

I'm making Chex mix today. I made a chocolate malt one that's very similar to Puppy Chow - it's soooooo good! Next up is a Moroccan one, and then the traditional original flavor.

I love the 12 days of Christmas, and Joy to the World.

I got to say I have not received as many Christmas cards as usual I don't know if people are sending them late or maybe not sending them at all to save money.

Since Thanksgiving was kind of late this year, we're experiencing a shorter Christmas season. Many people may have simply not gotten to it yet. :)

The Hannukah Song by Adam Sandler...

While I do love that one, I laugh every time, I do think my favorite one is Silent Night. I love the Pampers commercial with that song and all the babies sleeping.

chefann said:
I'm making Chex mix today. I made a chocolate malt one that's very similar to Puppy Chow - it's soooooo good! Next up is a Moroccan one, and then the traditional original flavor.

OK- change of plans. I'm making essentially the original, but I don't have seasoned salt in the house. So I'm using the BBQ rub instead of the seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder. It's in the oven right now, and smells really good!

Ooh, I bet that will be tasty.

chefsteph07 said:
The Hannukah Song by Adam Sandler...

While I do love that one, I laugh every time, I do think my favorite one is Silent Night. I love the Pampers commercial with that song and all the babies sleeping.

I love that too - but what I really love is how my 4 yr old stops whatever he is doing and stands quietly watching it whenever he hears it come on! It's so sweet to watch him.

chefann said:
OK- change of plans. I'm making essentially the original, but I don't have seasoned salt in the house. So I'm using the BBQ rub instead of the seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder. It's in the oven right now, and smells really good!

raebates said:
Ooh, I bet that will be tasty.

OOPS!!! I used my 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon instead of 1 teaspoon, so it's bland. I'm going to re-bake it in the morning with the additional seasoning.

I'm all done with what I have to do for now, see other thread about DH's family. I'm making a few desserts that I need to go shopping for. My first Christmas get together is this weekend. My sister cannot make it so I'm taking a few of her kids with me.

Today is December 17. There are only 8 days left until Christmas!The "Urn of Fate" is part of the Christmas celebrations in many Italian households. The Urn of Fate is brought out on Christmas Eve. It holds a wrapped present for everyone. The mother tries her luck first, then the others in turn. If you get a present with your name on it, you keep it; otherwise, you put it back and try again.We've done all kinds of things with gifts in our home. We've done the box in a box in a box. We've done a scavenger hunt that began with a clue inside a box that led to another, which led to another until he found the gift. One tradition we have is that our son opens one gift on Christmas Eve. It's something small. This year it's a scarf that I made for him.

chefann said:
OOPS!!! I used my 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon instead of 1 teaspoon, so it's bland. I'm going to re-bake it in the morning with the additional seasoning.
Do you mean to tell me that you were not using the convenient Adjustable Measuring Spoon from PC? See, this is what happens when you use inferior measuring tools.

raebates said:
Today is December 17. There are only 8 days left until Christmas!

The "Urn of Fate" is part of the Christmas celebrations in many Italian households. The Urn of Fate is brought out on Christmas Eve. It holds a wrapped present for everyone. The mother tries her luck first, then the others in turn. If you get a present with your name on it, you keep it; otherwise, you put it back and try again.

We've done all kinds of things with gifts in our home. We've done the box in a box in a box. We've done a scavenger hunt that began with a clue inside a box that led to another, which led to another until he found the gift. One tradition we have is that our son opens one gift on Christmas Eve. It's something small. This year it's a scarf that I made for him.

I wrapped gifts for DS the other night - but I put everything in the same sized cake box (bought them at a baking store going out of business), so he can't tell what anything is. He keeps stacking them, and moving them around...and he has mentioned a couple times that we got him all of the same thing. I just smile, and say "I guess so!"

Out traditional Christmas Eve gift is new Pajamas!

raebates said:
Do you mean to tell me that you were not using the convenient Adjustable Measuring Spoon from PC? See, this is what happens when you use inferior measuring tools.
Um... yeah. The adjustable measuring spoons are not my favorite product. One problem I have is that they don't fit into the spice bottles with the lids on. Especially now that many of the seasonings come with shaker tops and no spoon opening at all.
ChefBeckyD said:
I wrapped gifts for DS the other night - but I put everything in the same sized cake box (bought them at a baking store going out of business), so he can't tell what anything is. He keeps stacking them, and moving them around...and he has mentioned a couple times that we got him all of the same thing. I just smile, and say "I guess so!"
That's a great idea! DH always manages to guess what his gift is before he unwraps it. He'll pick it up, weigh it in his hands, and guess. :grumpy: Gets me sooooo mad!

ChefBeckyD said:

Out traditional Christmas Eve gift is new Pajamas!

Ours is new poj's also!
I love that idea, would be a ton of fun :)

Most things at our house get wrapped in PC product boxes, so figuring out what's inside is a bit difficult. LOL!When I was growing up our Christmas Eve gift was usually PJs. I was in my teens before I figured out that it made us look good for our Christmas morning pictures. (Yeah, I'm a slow learner.) But, since both of my guys tend to sleep in their gym shorts, PJs aren't an option.

chefann said:
Um... yeah. The adjustable measuring spoons are not my favorite product. One problem I have is that they don't fit into the spice bottles with the lids on. Especially now that many of the seasonings come with shaker tops and no spoon opening at all.

I understand. I like the adjustable spoons. It would make more sense, though, for PC to make sure the seasonings have openings that fit the spoons.

chefann said:

That's a great idea! DH always manages to guess what his gift is before he unwraps it. He'll pick it up, weigh it in his hands, and guess. :grumpy: Gets me sooooo mad!

This year, DH doesn't even have to guess. DS has pretty much let him in on the surprises.

I bought him a book about rebuilding Big Block engines (440-6 pac, and Hemi's) and DS and I hid it. Several days later, Micah said "I have to show you something Daddy" I had no idea he was talking about the book. He led him right to it!:grumpy:

Then - he helped me wrap another gift, and when DH got home from work, Micah showed it to him and said "Daddy, I'm not going to tell you what this is. It might be a Trickle Charger, or it might not be." :eek::cry:

He is usually pretty good at keeping secrets - but for some reason, he just can't do it with Daddy's presents!

And the funniest thing about your post, Becky, is that my DH would probably appreciate those same gifts. :DWe're getting around the gift guessing thing this year by not giving each other anything.

Hey Ann,

could you please post your recipe for the chocolate chex puppy chow malt mix yummy sounding stuff :).

Thanks!

Sure, Annabel. I got it from the http://www.chexmix.com/Recipes/Default.aspx, where there are a couple dozen different recipes. You may want to check it out and find one that you really like. :)Chocolate Malt-Cherry Mix
2 cups Corn Chex® cereal
2 cups Rice Chex® cereal
2 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
1 cup dry-roasted peanuts
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup natural-flavor malted milk powder
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped malted milk balls
1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped1. In large bowl, mix cereals and peanuts.
2. In 1-quart saucepan, heat chocolate chips and butter over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and blended. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
3. Gradually stir in malted milk powder until evenly coated. Stir in remaining ingredients. Store in airtight container.

Today is December 18. There are only 7 days left until Christmas! That's right, just one week, people.In the Ukraine, if you find a spider web in the house on Christmas morning, it is believed to be a harbinger of good luck! There once lived a woman so poor, says a Ukrainian folk tale, that she could not afford Christmas decorations for her family. One Christmas morning, she awoke to find that spiders had trimmed her children’s tree with their webs. When the morning sun shone on them, the webs turned to silver and gold. An artificial spider and web are often included in the decorations on Ukrainian Christmas trees.To the best of my knowledge there is no Ukrainian blood in my heritage. However, I love this tradition. I will be using it as an excuse for not clearing out the cobwebs for the next week--it's a Ukrainian tradition. ;)

<h2>1. What is the significance of the 82-day countdown to Christmas?</h2><p>The 82-day countdown to Christmas is a fun way to track the days leading up to the holiday and get into the festive spirit. It also serves as a reminder to start planning and organizing for Christmas celebrations.</p><h2>2. How can I stay organized during the holiday season?</h2><p>One tip is to create a designated area for Christmas-related items, such as a closet or storage bin, to keep everything in one place. Another helpful idea is to make a list and schedule for gift shopping, decorating, and other tasks to stay on top of everything.</p><h2>3. What are some creative gift ideas for Christmas?</h2><p>Some unique gift ideas include homemade gifts like baked goods or crafts, experiences like cooking classes or concert tickets, and personalized gifts like photo albums or custom-made items.</p><h2>4. How can I save money on Christmas shopping?</h2><p>Start early and take advantage of sales and discounts throughout the year. Consider making homemade gifts or setting a budget for each person. You can also opt for a Secret Santa or White Elephant gift exchange to save on buying gifts for everyone.</p><h2>5. What should I do with leftover Halloween candy for Christmas?</h2><p>One idea is to use the candy as stocking stuffers, as long as it is still sealed in its original packaging. You can also freeze chocolate candy to use for baking or make festive treats like candy cane bark or chocolate-covered pretzels. Alternatively, donate extra candy to a local shelter or charity. </p>

1. What is the significance of the 82-day countdown to Christmas?

The 82-day countdown to Christmas is a fun way to track the days leading up to the holiday and get into the festive spirit. It also serves as a reminder to start planning and organizing for Christmas celebrations.

2. How can I stay organized during the holiday season?

One tip is to create a designated area for Christmas-related items, such as a closet or storage bin, to keep everything in one place. Another helpful idea is to make a list and schedule for gift shopping, decorating, and other tasks to stay on top of everything.

3. What are some creative gift ideas for Christmas?

Some unique gift ideas include homemade gifts like baked goods or crafts, experiences like cooking classes or concert tickets, and personalized gifts like photo albums or custom-made items.

4. How can I save money on Christmas shopping?

Start early and take advantage of sales and discounts throughout the year. Consider making homemade gifts or setting a budget for each person. You can also opt for a Secret Santa or White Elephant gift exchange to save on buying gifts for everyone.

5. What should I do with leftover Halloween candy for Christmas?

One idea is to use the candy as stocking stuffers, as long as it is still sealed in its original packaging. You can also freeze chocolate candy to use for baking or make festive treats like candy cane bark or chocolate-covered pretzels. Alternatively, donate extra candy to a local shelter or charity.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • raebates
  • General Chat