• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Your Next Christmas: Tips and Ideas for Post-Holiday Preparation

enough for each one to have at least one color. I also like to stock up on school supplies like highlighters, white out, pencil cases, and erasers. Christmas is a great time to stock up on items like these, especially if the person on your gift list doesn't usually receive a lot of gifts. I also like to stock up on school supplies like highlighters, white out, pencil cases, and erasers. Christmas is a great time to stock up on items like these, especially if the person on your gift list doesn't usually receive a lot of gifts.
raebates
Staff member
Today is December 27. There are 363 days until Christmas.

Don't panic. I'm not going to actually start a countdown. I just wanted to remind you that this is a great time to start preparing for next Christmas.

What went right? Make note of anything new you did this year that really helped or made things extra special. Make note of any gift-giving ideas that came up during your celebrations so you can be on the lookout.

What went wrong? Did you say to yourself, "I always say I'm going to _______ but forget"? Did you try something that went horribly wrong? Make notes of what not to do next year.

Did you think of something you wished you'd done? Write it down.

Now put these notes where you'll find them easily at the beginning of the next Christmas season. I keep mine in a computer file, but I know lots of people who keep a small Christmas box that they can easily access when they need to.

This is also a good time to make note of what you've got. A couple of years ago I made a list of all of our Christmas decorations and the stories behind them. It was easy to do as we put everything away.

Just some thoughts about what you can do now to make next Christmas run a little smoother.

My laptop died right around this time last year. Along with it went my list of cards to send out. My address book is "in the cloud" so I didn't lose those, but I found myself wishing I had more cards to send as I though of people I had forgotten this year. I will gather all the cards I received this year and start a list from there, and make sure I add those who still should get a card even though they didn't send me one (like my brother). This time, I think I'll print a paper copy, and put it in one of the Christmas decoration boxes, so I'll find it again next year. :D

Im still too tired from this Christmas to even want to think about next Christmas yet.LOL!

Also, believe it or not, now is a good time to start buying gifts for next year! Many things are discounted up to 75% off around this time to get rid of the overflow stock. Think gifts for Christmas next year and birthdays throughout the year!

ShelbyMichalek said:
Also, believe it or not, now is a good time to start buying gifts for next year! Many things are discounted up to 75% off around this time to get rid of the overflow stock. Think gifts for Christmas next year and birthdays throughout the year!

We went to Target and Lowe's yesterday and picked up some lights and extension cords.

Today is May 17. There are 222 days until Christmas. Yes, I realize that's over 7 months. I also know it will be here before we know it. We have already purchased a few things for Christmas. The Furry Guy and I have discussed ideas for other gifts. As we're looking forward to National Conference, I'll be looking over my lists to see if there is something I can pick up for someone in Chicago. After all, it's one of the best shopping cities in the US.

Today is May 21. There are 218 days until Christmas.I was working on our Christmas newsletter today and thought I'd share a reminder. No, I'm not writing the newsletter yet. What I'm doing is making notes. It's only May, so you probably still remember most of the highlights that have happened so far this year. A simple notebook page or computer file will work. Just jot down the things you might want to mention in your Christmas newsletter. That way you'll have the information handy when it is time to write it. Here's what I've got so far:January—Shawn started new job with Limestone and moved to Cedar HillMarch—Rae in hospital for nosebleedApril—Chris hiked Appalachian Trail
Shawn started dating Fina.
Rae took over responsibility for marketing Tom’s bookI don't necessarily use every note I make, but better to have stuff and not need it than to drive myself crazy trying to come up with things to share. (And, yes, I realize that's a short drive.)

Today is August 1. There are 146 days until Christmas. School is starting soon, and the back-to-school sales have begun. That means in a week or two a lot of those items will be on clearance. Think. Do you have anyone on your list who likes notebooks (budding songwriters, poets, artists)? Have kids who would love fresh crayons or colored pencils in their stockings? How about paints? I am usually able to get 24-packs of Crayola® Crayons for all of the kids in our church class for 10¢ each.

Goody, only 146 days until the temp is below 100! Whoopee!!!!

I'm actually glad to see your countdown begin this year. Starting in July I usually mention the nearness at my shows--for gift giving ideas.

this is the season for us to stock up on folders for host packets, pens for shows, paper, office supplies, etc.

Rae, I think you like doing countdowns. It does make for fun reading and I do find it interesting how all of a sudden people are talking "holidays". Costco should be putting up their decorations and gifts for sale in the next week or so.

Hobby Lobby already has their stuff out.Yes, I do like countdowns. They help me to keep organized and on track. :)

I was just THINKING about your countdown "Rae's Christmas countdown should be starting soon!". ;)

The daily countdown won't start until September, but I will probably post a few things before that. ;)

Thanks for doing this Rae, I like to throw out the number of days like say "What does the number 144 mean for you?" Then I start about how now is a great time to start getting those PC Christmas or Hannakuh gifts or gift certificates or to start saving up for them at least!

I start that in earnest in September. I actually begin my shows with, "As we gather to get started, I want you to think of the number 143. That's a very important number. Can anyone tell me why?" It's great because I get to answer PC questions:

That's how much we're each spending tonight?
No, but [Host's name] and I would be thrilled if that happened.That's how long the company's been in business? Nope. We have been around for over 30 years, though.

That's how many products there are?
Ooh, good guess. It's wrong, but it's a really good guess. LOL!

Today is August 16. There are 131 days until Christmas.Labor Day weekend is just about a week and a half away. If you have gardeners on your list that's the time to start watching for gardening supplies on clearance. Many gardeners I know like to spend the dark, cold winter months dreaming of the spring when they can get their hands in the dirt. A few gardening tools will make a great Christmas gift.

Today is August 26. There are 121 days until Christmas.Think outside the normal retail box. Last year we did some of our Christmas shopping at a local print shop. The Furry Guy’s niece is a talented artist. She’s into Manga (Japanese anime art). She was 16 by the time Christmas rolled around, so we figured it was okay for her to be in on her gift that year. We had her choose a piece of artwork, (she decided to do something new), and had it made into a large poster for her room. For my mom & dad we decided on a picture. We haven’t had a family portrait done in a long time. Since Mom & Dad live in Florida and our son lives in Texas, it’s almost impossible to get everyone together to get one done. Print shop to the rescue. I took snapshots of individual households. I had an 8 x 10 piece made. Mom & Dad’s photo was at the top. My family was on the lower left. My brother’s family was on the lower right. The background was dark and marbleized. In the middle, in white, was a quote from Desmond Tutu—"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them." The piece was printed on canvas. This year we’re thinking using pictures from The Furry Guy’s hiking trip to make a calendar for his mom.These things don’t have to be expensive, just heartfelt and personal. Of course, it does require a bit of thinking ahead.

Today is August 26. There are 121 days until Christmas.

Think outside the normal retail box. Last year we did some of our Christmas shopping at a local print shop.

The Furry Guy’s niece is a talented artist. She’s into Manga (Japanese anime art). She was 16 by the time Christmas rolled around, so we figured it was okay for her to be in on her gift that year. We had her choose a piece of artwork, (she decided to do something new), and had it made into a large poster for her room.

For my mom & dad we decided on a picture. We haven’t had a family portrait done in a long time. Since Mom & Dad live in Florida and our son lives in Texas, it’s almost impossible to get everyone together to get one done. Print shop to the rescue. I took snapshots of individual households. I had an 8 x 10 piece made. Mom & Dad’s photo was at the top. My family was on the lower left. My brother’s family was on the lower right. The background was dark and marbleized. In the middle, in white, was a quote from Desmond Tutu—"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them." The piece was printed on canvas.

This year we’re thinking using pictures from The Furry Guy’s hiking trip to make a calendar for his mom.

These things don’t have to be expensive, just heartfelt and personal. Of course, it does require a bit of thinking ahead.

Today is August 29. There are 118 days until Christmas.What are your traditions? Traditions are anything that make you feel like it's Christmas. Here are some of ours:

Black Friday:
I do my final Christmas shopping, leaving about 5:30 a.m. and returning once it's done. This tradition started with my mom, but she moved away years ago. So, I buy a thinking-of-you card early in the day. At lunch (always a sit-down affair where people bring food to me--again, part of the tradition), I write Mom a note about all of the things I've bought and what I still need to buy. I mail the card in the afternoon.Thanksgiving Saturday: Decorating Day at the Bates Bungalow! We play Christmas movies and snack on goodies I've purchased on Black Friday. By the end of the day the house is all Christmasy. We add a new ornament to the tree each year that represents that year. There's a bottle brush pig from the year my Pig Butt Buddy passed away. There are all kinds of odd things on our tree, but each one brings fond memories as we decorate.Advent: A few years ago I started putting up a Jesse Tree. Everything is available online if you simply google it. It includes symbols and Scripture readings for each day during Advent, exploring the lineage of Christ. December: Since our son was little we've had an Avon fabric calendar that includes a little mouse that you move from day to day until Christmas. I put a small candy in each pocket (Andes Candies work well for this, but anything small, fairly flat, and individually wrapped works), so there's a treat for moving the mouse. When our son was living at home it was his job to move the mouse. Now it's whoever thinks of it first. Early December: Grinch Party--I invite my friends over for snacks (easy stuff like we used to eat at sleepovers) and we watch the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Afterward we sit around and chat. It's a lot of fun.Sometime close to Christmas: we drive around and look at Christmas lights. Those big formal light displays that some cities have are fine, but we like driving around looking at what people have done with their homes.Christmas Eve: Hot cocoa while we open one gift. Christmas Day: Breakfast together. We open stockingsThose are the big ones for us, though we probably have a hundred little things, like the candy canes I hand out during the season. What are some of your traditions?

We have 3 traditions:

1.Every year I buy each family member a special tree ornament (I do this to coordinate my tree so it doesn't look gaudy)

2.We have a 3 1/2foot stuffed snowman that count down Christmas. I'll have to figure out when 99 days is so we can get started!

3.My son plays in a hockey tournament EVERY Christmas so we do the "hurry up and open the presents, eat, do laundry, pack, gotta get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to leave" dance. Except last year. Sadly last Christmas was the beginning of a 3 month illness that saw him lose a significant amount of weight, muscle, stamina, and self-esteem. He missed the entire rest of the hockey season until the finals (2 1/2 months). Missed weeks and weeks of school. It was horrible. Hopefully this year will get us back on track with our beloved holiday tradition!

I just emailed our family about the Christmas Photo idea...love that. It's been 12 years since we've done that for the family! Yikes. This year, we'll all be together for Christmas...so I suggested that we each get a family portrait, then we'll try to get ALL of us, and all of the grandkids done.Thanks for the tip Rae!

Well, pchockeymom, I do hope your son has a healthy hockey season this year. And, to save you figuring it out, September 17 will be 99 days until Christmas. (I have a spreadsheet with a countdown. But, you guessed that. Didn't you?)I'm glad you were able to use some of my blatherings, Bobbi.

Today is September 5. There are 111 days until Christmas.

Enjoy your Labor Day. Yes, we’re looking ahead to Christmas, but enjoy every single day along the way.

Only 111 days? I best hurry up.

That's right, KG. It will be here before you know it. ;)

As Kermit the Frog says, "Time's fun when you're having flies."

Today is September 12. There are 104 days until Christmas.Don’t let people discourage you. Go ahead and talk about Christmas. Browse the aisles at the stores that already have Christmas displays up. Right now that’s mostly places like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts, places that cater to crafters—people who need to be started on Christmas stuff. Those people who complain about us will be envious when we’re relaxed and enjoying December.

Today is September 17. There are 99 days until Christmas.Soon my MIL will start asking for wish lists. The Furry Guy and I are starting to work on our lists. We occasionally go out looking for things that we’d like to have but wouldn’t necessarily buy for ourselves. We make one list for his family including his wishes, my wishes, and our wishes. We make a separate list for each other. Our lists tend to be very specific because that’s what his family has always done. They include what the item is (along with any details like sizes, colors, etc.), where it can be purchased, and how much it costs.Our lists were started a long time ago because at the end of the holiday season I go through the lists and remove anything that was received that year. Soon we’ll look over the remains of last year’s list and take off anything we no longer want or need.

Today is September 17. There are 99 days until Christmas.

Soon my MIL will start asking for wish lists. The Furry Guy and I are starting to work on our lists. We occasionally go out looking for things that we’d like to have but wouldn’t necessarily buy for ourselves.

We make one list for his family including his wishes, my wishes, and our wishes. We make a separate list for each other. Our lists tend to be very specific because that’s what his family has always done. They include what the item is (along with any details like sizes, colors, etc.), where it can be purchased, and how much it costs.

Our lists were started a long time ago because at the end of the holiday season I go through the lists and remove anything that was received that year. Soon we’ll look over the remains of last year’s list and take off anything we no longer want or need.

pchockeymom said:
We have 3 traditions:

1.Every year I buy each family member a special tree ornament (I do this to coordinate my tree so it doesn't look gaudy)

2.We have a 3 1/2foot stuffed snowman that count down Christmas. I'll have to figure out when 99 days is so we can get started!

3.My son plays in a hockey tournament EVERY Christmas so we do the "hurry up and open the presents, eat, do laundry, pack, gotta get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to leave" dance. Except last year. Sadly last Christmas was the beginning of a 3 month illness that saw him lose a significant amount of weight, muscle, stamina, and self-esteem. He missed the entire rest of the hockey season until the finals (2 1/2 months). Missed weeks and weeks of school. It was horrible. Hopefully this year will get us back on track with our beloved holiday tradition!

According to Rae, that would have been yesterday. :D

Rae, if I see something unique, that I really like/want, I tend to buy it and hand it to The Kat Lady, along with the promise that I'll act really surprised when I open it. I learned that lesson the hard way a few years ago. I was in Lynchburg, TN and saw something in a gift shop that I really, really wanted. I was told not to buy it, since Christmas was coming. I walked away from it, sure that it would be under the tree.

It wasn't.

The item was a one-off kind of a deal that is no longer manufactured and I am still disappointed. So now, I just go ahead and buy the thing I want when I see it.

A couple of years ago, it was a suitcase at the Lands End outlet. It was a catalog return item, well below the catalog price, and had initials embroidered on it. The initials? KG. (For real!) It's a small overnighter with wheels - I pretended to be surprised, I use it weekly and it has turned out to be one of the most practical gifts I ever found for myself. ;)

I quit making lists for my husband. He never buys what's on my list and instead buys me stuff that's aweful like outfits that a sleezy teenager would wear.:yuck:
I can tell my kids one or two things i really would like (always practical stuff) so they can pester the crap out of hubby to buy them for me from them. A few years ago I really wanted an apron. He refused to buy an apron for them to give me for Christmas even though it was what I really wanted (he thought it was a stupid gift and the only place he could think of that had aprons was Home Depot). Now I don't have to worry about needing an apron, PC has taken care of that! Fortunately now the kids are old enough to buy their own gifts for me and with their own money. So I buy my own gifts, wrap them, put them under the tree, and have absolutely no problem opening them and letting everyone know what I got myself:D

Most men need the dots really close together. As in, "Buy me something from THIS LIST for Christmas, please." ;)

Today is September 26. There are only 90 days until Christmas. Take time now to look over your Christmas card list. Are all of the addresses up to date? If not, you’ve got plenty of time to call or email your friends and family to find the correct address. I think it’s so frustrating to be addressing cards and realize that my cousin has moved and I don’t have her new address (or, worse yet, get the card addressed and then realize it’s not current). A quick check now will help to save lots of frustration.

Today is September 28. There are only 88 days until Christmas.You want to really make people mad? Point out how many days there are until Christmas. LOL! As I remind them, Christmas will arrive in 88 days whether I say it out loud or not. ;)

That's like what Dave Ramsey says...."People seem surprised when Christmas comes. It's the same time EVERY YEAR!" lol

When he overhears people saying that Christmas snuck up on them, The Furry Guy's uncle tells them in a stage whisper, "Psst, I have an inside scoop for you. Next year they've scheduled Christmas for December 25."

Today is September 29. There are only 87 days until Christmas.As you’re getting ready to sign and address Christmas cards, think about how you’ll sign. When our son was home, I usually signed the cards “The Bates Family – Chris, Rae, & Shawn.” Now that it’s just The Furry Guy and me, it depends on who the card is sent to. Most of us refer to a couple using the name of the person we know best first. For instance, when you think of us you probably think, “Rae & The Furry Guy.” My family knows us as “Rae & Chris.” His family knows us as “Chris & Rae.” I sign things the way the recipient knows us. By the way, according to the rules of etiquette the man’s first name should never be separated from his last name. That would make us formally Rae & Chris Bates. However, since most of us are much less formal with those to whom we send Christmas cards, I don’t think it’s necessary to stick hard and fast to this rule.

Today is September 30. There are only 86 days until Christmas.Save money by putting together inexpensive gifts like the ones I give to the fellow volunteers in our children’s ministry. I use ribbon to tie together a package of microwave popcorn with two packets of hot cocoa mix and top it with card that says:
Merry Christmas!
This world can be a cold and difficult place, yet you warm the hearts of children with God’s love and compassion—just as cocoa takes the chill away on a cold day. You show children the richness of God’s Word, and it tastes sweet and good to their souls.The fragrance of Christ you carry with you is as enticing and unmistakable as freshly popped popcorn. And like these tiny corn kernels, you plant seeds of truth—seeds that’ll one day explode into righteous living and overflow with the glory of God.Thanks for all you do to touch kids’ lives.
Gifts like this cost pennies apiece (especially when I buy the supplies in large quantities at Sam’s Club) but let people know how much they mean to us.

This is perfect! I have Cub Scout popcorn coming out of my ears- so now I have teacher gifts this Christmas! (except I can't give it to the scout leaders...haha...they would probably beat me up if I gave them more popcorn).

My pleasure. It helps to keep me on track, too.

Today is October 1. There are only 85 days left until Christmas.What kind of Christmas do you want? Are you looking for cozy family time? Are you hoping for a spiritually-connected season? Are you looking forward to busy excitement? Now is the time to decide so you can plan for what you want. Sit down with your family and talk about what they consider important. You might be surprised to find out what they consider the most important, most meaningful part of Christmas.

Today is October 3. There are only 83 days left until Christmas.Think carefully about the craft projects/gifts you have planned. Do you realistically have time to complete them? You don’t want to be up late every night for the last week or two before Christmas finishing them. Worse yet, you don’t want to have to run out and buy a last-minute, desperation gift because you couldn’t finish it. If you have un-finished craft objects lying around (that afghan you never finished, or that cross-stitch that’s still only ¾ done), think about finishing them for someone for Christmas. That way you’ll have less to do..

Here's a money saver I used last year for our neighborhood Breakfast with Santa. Two of us made up different types of goodie bags for the kids. One of us did 60 gift bags with things kids would like and I did 60 bags full of edibles and a pencil. Well, I though they were so cute!
I went to the dollar store. I bought 12 boxes, 8 each of hot cocoa envelopes, I bought 15 packages of 4 each of Teddy Graham cookies, Filled cookies, and 12 book boxes of 5 rolls each of life save type candies. Each child got one each of the cookies, cocoa, and life savers. I also bought 5 packs of Christmas pencils.
So all told I provided 60 packages of goodies at a cost of $59. The other lady purchased crayons, little note pads, sheets of stickers and spent all of about $48. We each spent an additional $6 on those cellophane bags to put the stuff into. The kids and parents loved it! With all that stuff, the kids thought we were rich! We were! so if you have something big - do not over look the dollar stores.

Great advice, John!

Today is October 4. There are only 82 days until Christmas.The weather’s cooling here. I’ve dug out my warm clothes. As I’ve switched my wardrobe, I’ve been taking inventory. I’m making sure I have appropriate outfits for upcoming holiday events. Think about what you’ll be doing during the holidays. Do you have a company party to attend that requires eveningwear? Do your kids have the matching outfits you like to use for your holiday photos? Make sure that you have clothes for all of the things you’ll be doing, and make sure they’re all in good repair. Is anything stained beyond repair? Does everything fit, or does it need to be altered or replaced? Do you have all of the accessories (jewelry, shoes, handbags, etc.) to complete the outfits? Right now cool-weather clothes are starting to hit the sale rack. Plus, you have plenty of time to take your time making choices. You’ll be less likely to overspend or settle if you start now.

Today is October 5. There are only 81 days left until Christmas.Some of the Christmas magazines are on newsstands now. Check them out. When you find something you like, tear out the page and file it by type (recipe, crafts, gift ideas, etc.) or scan it into your computer. That way you can toss the rest of the magazine into the recycling bin instead of creating your own towering stack of magazines. Plus, it will be a lot easier to locate that great idea when you want it if you don’t have to flip through 183 magazines.

Today is October 5. There are only 81 days left until Christmas.

Some of the Christmas magazines are on newsstands now. Check them out. When you find something you like, tear out the page and file it by type (recipe, crafts, gift ideas, etc.) or scan it into your computer. That way you can toss the rest of the magazine into the recycling bin instead of creating your own towering stack of magazines. Plus, it will be a lot easier to locate that great idea when you want it if you don’t have to flip through 183 magazines.

Today is October 6. There are only 80 days left until Christmas.Christmas wish lists are great. They are especially helpful for those with whom you don't have regular contact (like, in our case, The Furry Guy's nieces). However, they're no substitute for listening. If your BIL continually talks about his favorite NASCAR driver, keep that in mind. If your aunt mentioned a favorite designer, make a mental (and then an actual) note. Don't count on remembering. Write it down.Also, be sure to keep a list of clothing sizes, color preferences, hobbies, and interests for each person in your immediate family. This way you'll be able to customize gifts to each recipient. You'll also be able to take advantage of sales.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
NooraK
Replies
Views
raebates