• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Get Ready for Christmas 2009: Tips and Tricks for a Stress-Free Holiday Season

In summary, the speaker is saying that she does not like shopping for Christmas because it is too early, and she is too busy. She does not like the idea of buying gifts for everyone, as she is the only female on her family's Christmas list. She does like the idea of decorating for Christmas and listening to Christmas music, but does not enjoy the shopping part.
It's easy to lose touch. While I remember my godmother as a very sweet woman, she was my mom's friend. As they lost touch over the years I naturally lost touch. I'm trying to be more intentional about my friendships. We live in such a secluded society. It's easy for many people to go through an entire week and never have real human contact with another person. It's sad, really.

Today is November 16. There are only 39 days until Christmas.Give yourself a silent night. Turn off everything--TV, computer, phones, etc. Take one evening (or even just a couple of hours) to remove yourself from the world. If there are other people at home you can play a game or just sit and talk. If you're alone you can read a book or take a nap. How does this fit into my goal of reaching out? You can't give what you don't have. By giving yourself a chance to rest and refresh yourself you'll have the energy and good will to pass along to others.

Today is November 17. There are only 38 days until Christmas. Be anonymous. Leave a gift on someone's doorstep, ring the bell, and run. There's an inexplicable joy in surprising someone when they don't know it's you.

Today is November 18. There are only 37 days until Christmas. Share your holidays. Do you know someone who might be alone for Thanksgiving? How about Christmas? Invite them to share in your celebration. A few years ago our son's friend moved in with us. He was just finishing high school. His parents were divorced, and he had been living with his dad. It's a long story, but he was given 24 hours to move out of his dad's house. It was October when he moved in with us and became part of our family. His family had never celebrated anything--birthdays, Christmas, anything. Ours was his first Christmas. Every year since he's spent at least part of Christmas day with us. I can't tell you the joy that comes from inviting someone to become part of your family for the day.

Today is November 19. There are only 36 days until Christmas.Find a place to give. Volunteer to ring bells, serve a meal, or anything else that will help someone else. This weekend I’m hosting a baby shower for Mary and Baby Jesus. Guests will bring unwrapped baby gifts, which will be donated to a local crisis pregnancy center. I recently read about a family that gets up on Christmas morning and makes a huge batch of pancakes and coffee. They then take these along with cups, paper plates, plastic forks, and syrup down to where the homeless gather in their town. Before they ever open one gift or peek into one stocking they give to others.

Today is November 20. There are only 35 days until Christmas.Another actual tip today. We're just one week from Black Friday. If you're a Black Friday shopper like me, you'll want to be prepared. Work on your list before you go. Many stores have already started letting you know some of what they'll be offering. Don't just concentrate on gift shopping. I know that's the main focus, but it's also a good day to pick up things that you've been wanting or needing for your home. Most of my gift shopping is done, so I have a few things on my list that are just for us. No reason not to take advantage of those sales for ourselves. On Black Friday make sure you either eat a healthy (but fast ;)) breakfast. I'll have something before I leave, but I know lots of people who stop for breakfast after their first couple of stores. Just don't load up on lots of simple carbs. You'll be sorry later when your energy bottoms out. Eating good stuff is part of the day, but don't completely fall off the wagon. Make your choices wisely and indulge sensibly.Take along a healthy snack. In everyday life I carry a really big bag, but when I'm power shopping I carry a small backpack. I'll have a couple of Lara bars in there just in case I start to lose energy or get too hungry. You know how it is--you get involved in those deals (or standing in line) and realize it's been way too long since you last ate. If you've got something with you, you'll be less likely to reach for that tempting Cinnabon or candy bar. Be safe. I shop alone, so I know I need to be very aware of the people around me. Make sure you lock your car. Pay attention to your surroundings. Make sure you your most expensive purchases aren't readily visible to people who pass by your vehicle. Have fun! I know I will.

Today is November 21. There are only 34 days until Christmas. Take a little time and give blood sometime in the next several weeks. It’s one of the best gifts you can give a stranger this year.

Today is November 21. There are only 34 days until Christmas.

Take a little time and give blood sometime in the next several weeks. It’s one of the best gifts you can give a stranger this year.

Today is November 22. There are only 33 days until Christmas.Smile and inquire about the person who is serving you. When the person behind the counter says, "Welcome to _____________. How are you today?" Respond with, "I'm __________, thanks. How are you?"I'm amazed at how often it really catches that person off guard. I've been rewarded with big smiles. I've had many people thank me for asking. I've had several others tell me that no one ever asks them that. Showing concern for others can be a wonderful way to spread Christmas cheer.

Today is November 23. There are only 32 days until Christmas. Let someone go ahead of you in the checkout line. If you really want to make someone's day, let someone who seems harried and has lots more than you in their cart to ahead of you. You'll make their day.

I'm doing great. I've scratched off pretty much all of the major players on my list. Sister's package was sent last week, mom's is waiting for a PC can opener that I have to pick up from my HD. Went to a paint-your-own pottery place yesterday and painted a mug for my BFF, and have a set of hot chocolate tins I've picked up from Costco for her. Frogs for her son, and a princess book and jammies for her daughter. Also painted a platter for MIL, and will go in today to put DS's hand prints on it.

I've been using Amazon with my Prime Trial Membership (see here: http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/free-2-day-shipping-amazon-com-trial-57570/). It's fabulous, I can buy something as soon as I see it, and not have to worry about whether it's enough for Super Saver shipping, or how much the shipping is going to cost. And I can use it to ship to other addresses than mine, so I've sent off gifts to friends and family, and they'll be there before Thanksgiving!

I'm keeping a close eye on my Christmas spending so that even though I'm using the check card on Amazon, I'm not going over budget. Now all I have left are a few friends, DS's day care provider, and some of my upline and downline. Oh, and Christmas cards. But I need a picture to go on those.

I'm totally with you about the Amazon Prime Trial membership- LOVE IT!!! I saved quite a bit of $$ by going through Amazon this year!
Just fyi- the past 3 years Sam's Club has had a free continental breakfast from 5am-9am. My mom, hubby and I make it a stop during our morning and it is soooo worth it! The last years they have had: fresh fruit, yogurt, hot breakfast sandwiches, pastries, juice, bottled water, coffee and bagels!! We are always stuffed by the time we leave!

I might actually venture out this year. DH's sister is coming to visit, which means I can go with her, and leave DH and DS at home.I had the crazy idea of having my own real Black Friday sale next year. As in actually at my house. At first I thought about having breakfast, but then I didn't think I'd want to have people at my house that early in the morning. DH suggested to do a lunch so that people can come over and relax after they've been running around all morning. I'll have to leave that idea to simmer over the next year. I actually put a reminder in my calendar to start thinking about it again October 1st.

Well with only a little over a month left I am so happy to report that we are FINISHED christmas shopping!!!!!!!! Yes you heard that right we are FINISHED!!!!! and my goal was to be done by thanksgiving...and we DID IT!!! I am just super stoked! Now I just have to wrap gifts which we are going to do on Thanksgiving after we put up our tree and decorate! I am just so proud of us! Plus we stayed UNDER budget! Wohooooo!!!!!!!!!

You guys are doing wonderfully! Congratulations.

Today is November 24. There are only 31 days until Christmas. Want to really spread some cheer? Tip big for the next several weeks. This is a really busy time for people in a lot of service industries—restaurants, salons, etc. Unfortunately this is the time of year they often deal with really nasty customers. With the economy tight, it’s very likely that people will scale back their tips. Be really different and tip a little extra. Those of you who know me might remember about my tip cards. I leave a little card with every tip thanking the server for their attention. Of course, if it were accompanied by a skimpy tip it probably wouldn’t have quite the same impact.

Today is November 25. There are only 30 days until Christmas!There's only one day until Thanksgiving. Take time to really express your gratitude to the people in your life--friends, co-workers, family, service people, customers, etc. An email works. A phone call is good. A handwritten note is best and will be the most memorable. No matter how you choose to do it, though, do it.

Today is November 26. There are only 29 days until Christmas!Happy Thanksgiving!Embrace today. I know we've been looking forward to Christmas, but take time today to simply enjoy the day. (Well, you can spend a little time tonight preparing for tomorrow's shopping ;)) Take time today to be truly thankful for everything good in your life.

Today is November 27. There are only 28 days until Christmas!Today is Black Friday. Let the shopping begin! This is the official start to the holiday shopping season. Be alet to any opportunity to make someone else's day.

Bought my cards to send out to my hosts for the year, did some online shopping today while at work since I have nothing better to do, and this weekend I plan on buying some more gifts and going window shopping to see what I actually want for the holidays.

I shopped (and ate, and talked) for just over 13 hours. My Christmas shopping is done. The only things I didn't get were honey and macadamia nuts because I was getting those at my last stop and they were out. I've got wrapping to do, but that won't take long. :)

Today is November 28. There are only 27 days until Christmas!We're entering crunch time. Take a few minutes each morning to make sure that your attitude is one of peace and joy. If necessary, repeat throughout the day. It will make a huge difference to everyone you meet.

I had a wonderful time shopping on Black Friday. This is the first time I can remember that no one refused my candy cane. (I give them out to workers who help me or cashiers who check out my purchases.) I made one grumpy, elderly man at Staples smile. He was directing people from the checkout line to particular cashiers as they opened up. He was scowling and gruff. As he told me, "Number 1," I said, "Thank you," handed him a candy cane, and wished him Merry Christmas. He blinked a couple of times, broke out into a huge grin, and said, "Thank you."

raebates said:
I had a wonderful time shopping on Black Friday. This is the first time I can remember that no one refused my candy cane. (I give them out to workers who help me or cashiers who check out my purchases.)

I made one grumpy, elderly man at Staples smile. He was directing people from the checkout line to particular cashiers as they opened up. He was scowling and gruff. As he told me, "Number 1," I said, "Thank you," handed him a candy cane, and wished him Merry Christmas. He blinked a couple of times, broke out into a huge grin, and said, "Thank you."

Awe! How cute!

Today is November 29. There are only 26 days until Christmas. Today is the first Sunday of Advent. Not all churches officially celebrate advent, but it's a time of preparing for the coming of Christmas. Try taking a little time each day between now and Christmas to decide as a family how you'll make a difference, for even just one moment, in someone else's life. It's one way to give at Christmas.

Today is November 30. There are only 25 days until Christmas.Make a decision to enjoy the Christmas season. It will be gone before you know it. This will be the last official countdown entry, since starting tomorrow you can simply subtract the date from 25 to figure out how many days are left. Thanks so much to all of you who read this thread and posted here. It's been a lot of fun for me. I hope you'll post your progress as you finish up those Christmas preparations.Christmas has arrived at the Bates Bungalow. All but the very last of the decorating is done. (The Furry Guy cleared a project off the display case yesterday evening, so I'll be able to put the finishing touches there tomorrow night.) Gifts are all purchased and wrapped. The only thing left to do is the baking and food gifts. Merry Christmas to all!

I did get the final decorating touches done. I'm waiting for The Furry Guy's final approval on the Christmas letter so I can send out the cards. They should go out Friday. My make-ahead food gifts are ready to go. The only thing left to do is mail gifts to my parents (next week) and make the Festive Cranberry Bark for our pastors.Tomorrow I'm baking cookies for Sunday's cookie exchange.

Thanks so much to vonfirmath! I'm using my Jesse Tree for my devotional time. I have the tree right near our front door, so I'm constantly reminded about God's promises.

We're getting ready for a cookie exchange at church on Sunday. This is when the holidays start to really feel real to me. I love it!

I found this tip this morning on Organized Christmas: Simplify Your Holidays and Celebrate The Season. Why not put together a Christmas morning basket? The concept is simple: gather the tools and supplies you'll need to open Christmas gifts and put them in a basket, gift bag or gift box beneath the tree. Include items like scissors, box cutter, notepad and pen (for recording who got what from whom) camera or videocam, trash bags, zipper food storage bags (for bundling small pieces so they're not lost) and extra batteries.

Read a great idea today for those with younger children who want to keep the focus on Christ. Take the baby Jesus from your nativity set. Place him in a well-lined box, and wrap the box as a gift for your child.* On Christmas morning let this be one of the gifts your child opens. Use this as an opportunity to talk about the true gift we receive at Christmas. *If you have more than one child, choose the oldest child this year, then work your way chronologically down through your children. You can start over once everyone's had their turn.

I love, love, love this idea! Thanks for sharing. = )

There are now only 363 days until Christmas 2010. Now's the time to write down all of those next-year-we-should-whatever ideas. They're fresh in your mind now, but chances are good that you'll have difficulty remembering them next year. For instance, as we struggled home in icky weather last night we discussed making sure that Christmas with my family is earlier in the day next year. That way we aren't driving home in the dark if it's nasty out.I've also made note of what I purchased for next year at the after-Christmas sales. This keeps me from having to dig through boxes to make sure I have enough cards, enough wrapping paper, etc.

<h2>1. How can I stay organized during the busy holiday season?</h2><p>One tip is to make a list of all the tasks and events you need to remember, and prioritize them by importance. You can also use a planner or calendar to keep track of everything and set reminders for important dates.</p><h2>2. What are some ways to save money during the holiday season?</h2><p>Consider DIY gifts or decorations, or look for sales and discounts while shopping. You can also set a budget and stick to it to avoid overspending. Another option is to participate in gift exchanges or Secret Santa with friends and family to reduce the number of gifts you need to buy.</p><h2>3. How can I reduce stress and enjoy the holiday season?</h2><p>Prioritize self-care and take breaks when needed. Don't feel pressured to attend every event or buy extravagant gifts. Remember to focus on the true meaning of the season and spend quality time with loved ones.</p><h2>4. What are some easy and delicious holiday recipes?</h2><p>There are many great recipes available online for holiday dishes and treats. Some popular ones include classic dishes like roasted turkey and mashed potatoes, as well as festive desserts like gingerbread cookies and peppermint bark.</p><h2>5. Are there any tips for making the most of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales?</h2><p>Do your research beforehand and make a list of the items you want to purchase. Be aware of store policies and return/exchange policies. Consider shopping online to avoid crowds and long lines. Don't forget to check for coupon codes or additional discounts before making your purchase.</p>

1. How can I stay organized during the busy holiday season?

One tip is to make a list of all the tasks and events you need to remember, and prioritize them by importance. You can also use a planner or calendar to keep track of everything and set reminders for important dates.

2. What are some ways to save money during the holiday season?

Consider DIY gifts or decorations, or look for sales and discounts while shopping. You can also set a budget and stick to it to avoid overspending. Another option is to participate in gift exchanges or Secret Santa with friends and family to reduce the number of gifts you need to buy.

3. How can I reduce stress and enjoy the holiday season?

Prioritize self-care and take breaks when needed. Don't feel pressured to attend every event or buy extravagant gifts. Remember to focus on the true meaning of the season and spend quality time with loved ones.

4. What are some easy and delicious holiday recipes?

There are many great recipes available online for holiday dishes and treats. Some popular ones include classic dishes like roasted turkey and mashed potatoes, as well as festive desserts like gingerbread cookies and peppermint bark.

5. Are there any tips for making the most of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales?

Do your research beforehand and make a list of the items you want to purchase. Be aware of store policies and return/exchange policies. Consider shopping online to avoid crowds and long lines. Don't forget to check for coupon codes or additional discounts before making your purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates