• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using a Food Chopper to Grind Flax: Ideas & Tips

In summary, to use a food chopper to grind flax, fill it with whole flax seeds and pulse a few times until desired consistency is reached. You can also grind flax in a regular blender, but be careful not to overblend. The ideal grind for flax is a coarse powder and it's best to grind in small batches. Ground flax can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 3 months.
misericorde
I have a customer asking how to use the food chopper to basically grind flax. I doubt this can be done with anything in the PC arsenal, but I thought if anyone had ideas, it would be some of the culinary geniuses around here. My only thought re: the FC is to oil them up first, but they just seem a bit small for that tool...

I have no idea but am curious to hear the answer, I had a host ask me if the food chopper would chop coffee beans!

I haven't tried with coffee beans or flax seeds but I'd imagine the micro-plane grater would work well for those items. Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Sarah

I was going to suggest the Microplane also. Those flax seeds are small and would probably make a big mess with the chopper.

I use a coffee grinder for my flax seeds. It works well. I don't use the one that I have for coffee, don't want them to taste like coffee!

Emma

P.S. I also use it to grind rice for making baby cereal.

I agree with Emma, it seems like the flaxseeds would make a mess on the counter. An inexpensive electric coffee grinder is your best bet. I have two. I use one when I make Indian food (to grind up the spices) and the other for things like the flaxseed.

When I've ground flax, it's always been in a coffee grinder. Since flax is so susceptible to static electricity, it seems like they'd really fly everywhere, much like they do in a coffee grinder....

Thanks for all the discussion, guys! If I'm feeling adventurous, maybe I'll try a few tools and see if anything works okay.

1. How do I use a food chopper to grind flax?

To use a food chopper to grind flax, start by filling the chopper with whole flax seeds. Make sure not to overfill the chopper. Then, pulse the chopper a few times until the flax seeds are ground to the desired consistency. You may need to shake or stir the chopper in between pulses to ensure all the seeds are evenly ground.

2. Can I grind flax in a regular blender instead of a food chopper?

Yes, you can grind flax in a regular blender. However, make sure to use the pulse function and not blend for too long, as the heat from blending may destroy some of the beneficial nutrients in flax seeds. It's also important to note that blenders with less powerful motors may not grind the flax seeds as finely as a food chopper would.

3. How finely should I grind flax?

The ideal grind for flax seeds is a coarse powder, similar to the texture of cornmeal. This ensures that the nutrients are easily absorbed by the body while still providing a pleasant texture when added to food. Over-grinding the flax seeds can result in a paste-like consistency, which may be difficult to incorporate into recipes.

4. Can I grind a large batch of flax seeds at once?

It's best to grind flax seeds in small batches to ensure they are ground evenly and to prevent the chopper from overworking. If you need a larger quantity of ground flax, simply repeat the grinding process in multiple batches.

5. How long can I store ground flax?

Ground flax should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. After this time, the ground flax may start to lose its nutritional value and flavor. To extend the shelf life, you can freeze ground flax for up to 3 months. However, it's best to grind flax seeds as needed for maximum freshness and nutritional benefits.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• WLMcCoy
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
tlag1986
  • esavvymom
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
PampChefJoy
  • GingerChef