• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chopping flaxseed

Jan 19, 2006
I have a customer asking how to use the food chopper to basically grind flax. I doubt this can be done with anything in the PC arsenal, but I thought if anyone had ideas, it would be some of the culinary geniuses around here. My only thought re: the FC is to oil them up first, but they just seem a bit small for that tool...

soonerchef

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2006
I have no idea but am curious to hear the answer, I had a host ask me if the food chopper would chop coffee beans!

snugbug

Novice Member
Feb 1, 2006
I haven't tried with coffee beans or flax seeds but I'd imagine the micro-plane grater would work well for those items. Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Sarah

DebbieJ

Legend Member
Oct 6, 2005
I was going to suggest the Microplane also. Those flax seeds are small and would probably make a big mess with the chopper.

EmmaLeeM

Mar 2, 2006
I use a coffee grinder for my flax seeds. It works well. I don't use the one that I have for coffee, don't want them to taste like coffee!

Emma

Chef Kearns

Legacy Member
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2005
I agree with Emma, it seems like the flaxseeds would make a mess on the counter. An inexpensive electric coffee grinder is your best bet. I have two. I use one when I make Indian food (to grind up the spices) and the other for things like the flaxseed.

Jan 19, 2006
When I've ground flax, it's always been in a coffee grinder. Since flax is so susceptible to static electricity, it seems like they'd really fly everywhere, much like they do in a coffee grinder....

Thanks for all the discussion, guys! If I'm feeling adventurous, maybe I'll try a few tools and see if anything works okay.