• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Perfectly Gooey Chocolate Lava Cake: Tips and Tricks for Baking and Serving

In summary, Sandi recommends that you cook the cake without the lid on in the microwave so it doesn't "explode."
Buttercup72
I know there are threads for this, but it seemed to be discussing to cover or uncover. My question is how gooey should this cake be, how do you dish it out, and how long to you cook it if you need to cook in the oven.

I cooked it covered starting at 25 min and gradually went to 45 because at 25 it definately was not done. It was somewhat gooey when I took it out after 45 min. Trying to cut and serve was interesting. It actually was more like scoop it out. It tasted good, and I made a sugar free cake and used sugar free icing.

I am doing this for a show Saturday.

I haven't made it in the oven before, so I can't give you advice regarding that. When it's done in the microwave, I don't use a toothpick or cake tester to check its doneness. I just look at the top of it and touch my finger to it. If it feels springy but somewhat firm, then I just take it out. It seems to be kind of gooey the whole lower third of it because of all the frosting. In the DCB, I keep the cake in it and use the Square Slotted Spoon to scoop it out with. If you were to turn it over onto a platter, the chocolate will ooze all around the sides making it more like a "Lava Cake". Then you could cut and serve it a little bit more normal. If I'm dishing it out in the DCB, then I call it a Warm Gooey Chocolate Cake. ;)

I made this once in the oven at a show b/c the microwave ended up to be too small. It took about 40 minutes with the lid off. The reason you need the lid OFF is cuz the cake rises above the rim of the pot!

i would love to know the correct way to cook this..i was told by my director to keep lid on in microwave for ten minutes but when i did it at last show it actually exploded when i took lid off and i received 2nd and 3rd degree burns to face and arms plus destroyed her kitchen in chocolate.

Janice I sure hope that was an exaggeration!! If not, I hope you are okay!! Do not cook with the lid on!! If you do, you need to allow at least 10 minutes for it to sit before removing the lid.

janice moore said:
i would love to know the correct way to cook this..i was told by my director to keep lid on in microwave for ten minutes but when i did it at last show it actually exploded when i took lid off and i received 2nd and 3rd degree burns to face and arms plus destroyed her kitchen in chocolate.

YIKES!! I just do the cobbler recipe in the DCB and it's always a hit. No one can believe that it's that simple!!!

hey i did not sugar coat it. i watch my director do it she kept lid on i did it at my party when i took it out it actually went straight into my face and allover an entire white kitchen.i called and talked to pamperchef about it.will never make another one it been two weeks and i still got burns to face and arms.guess i know now not to put top on it.

I've never cooked it in the oven.
My director kept the lid on without the clear piece on the rice cooker. For 8 1/2 minutes though. It depends on your microwave... if it's a new/better microwave, then I'd decrease the time but if it's older, then the 10 minutes may be ok. I'd go less rather than risk explosion!

(Sorry to hear about that Janice. I think I remember seeing you post that somewhere else!)

Wow what a horrible experience! What was the reaction of Home Office? I will try to remember to jiggle the lid to remove steam prior to removing the lid whenever I cook with it on, especially in the microwave.

As for the cake.. I've made it successfully both with and without the lid, The cake never rose enough to stick to the lid.

the home office responsed by to me instantly and was very concerned and offered any assisted they could i was surprised when i e-mail them and got a personal phone call right back it saids alot for pamperedchef

OMG! I am making this at a party for an extra recipe tonight and have never tried it at home b/c I can't eat gluten. ACK! I am crossing my fingers!!

Sandi

Omg! Yum yum yum! This recipe is amazing! Have made it 3 times since Thursday! Everyone loves it!!!! I stir it with the Mix N Masher, careful to not put too much air in it. put the lid on and microwave for 10 minutes! Then I let it sit for 15 uncovered before serving! Have had 3 perfect ones so far!

I did this cake yesterday. I mixed it in the batterbowl with ingredients for baking the cake on the back of the cake box. Then I poured it into my fluted stone. I did put
in 2/3 can of frosting on top of the cake mix and cooked it in the microwave for 14 minutes. It rose to the top of the fluted stone. I took it out and sat it on the cooling rack and left it there for 5 minutes. While it was cooling, the cake settled down and then I turned it over on a cakedish with a rim, that I have. Next time I will only use 1/2 of the can of frosting. It turned out perfectly, but I think I put too much
frosting in because the frosting was running down the cake and onto the cakedish.
Make sure you have a dish with a rim, or it would have run all over.

What is a Chocolate Lava Cake?

A Chocolate Lava Cake is a decadent and indulgent dessert made with rich chocolate cake batter and a gooey, melted chocolate center.

How do I make a Chocolate Lava Cake?

To make a Chocolate Lava Cake, you will need a 6-cup muffin tin, unsalted butter, semisweet chocolate, eggs, sugar, flour, and optional toppings. Preheat your oven to 425°F and grease the muffin tin with butter. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler, then mix in the eggs, sugar, and flour. Pour the batter into the muffin tin and bake for 12-14 minutes. Serve warm with your desired toppings.

Can I make a Chocolate Lava Cake in advance?

Yes, you can make the batter for a Chocolate Lava Cake in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When you are ready to bake, let the batter sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.

How do I know when a Chocolate Lava Cake is done?

The edges of the Chocolate Lava Cake should be set, but the center should still be slightly jiggly. You can also insert a toothpick into the center, and it should come out with moist crumbs.

What toppings can I add to a Chocolate Lava Cake?

You can add a variety of toppings to a Chocolate Lava Cake, such as fresh berries, whipped cream, ice cream, chocolate sauce, or salted caramel. Get creative and experiment with different flavors to find your favorite combination!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • chefann
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
Replies