• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Thick and Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe | No More Flat Cookies!

*Pudding Mix:2 cups milk1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding1. Beat eggs in a bowl until foamy.2. Add the milk and pudding. Beat until well combined.3. Fold the flour mix into the pudding mixture alternately with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Use a large spoon to fold in the chocolate chips.4. Spread the batter evenly into two
pcjulie
Okay, I have been using the Toll House recipe for as long as I can remember, and it seems like every time I make them lately they come out so flat! :( They didn't used to be that way! Anyone have a full-proof recipe for chocolate chip cookies that come out thick? Thanks!

Did you change one of your ingredients?

Switching to spread from margarine or butter will result in less than perfect cookies, because there's more water in spread.

Also, baking powder and baking soda do lose their effectiveness after a while. Essentially, they go stale. Get yourself a fresh box of each - that should help.

(This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :) )

When I quit using shortening (I used to use half shortening and half butter), my cookies turned out flat, too. I refrigerate the dough so it's cold when I put it on the stone. That seems to help a little. Usually, I make the cookies as bar cookies in the large bar pan. Then they taste great and don't flatten out. I don't change the recipe at all when I do that.

I know that the only way I get them to come out thicker is to use a wooden spoon, not a mixer. Sounds crazy, but getting the dough too creamy seems to murder the finished product.
On a side note, I'm glad it's not just me...i never used to have this problem, even using a mixer. It's only been the last year...maybe something has changed with an ingredient??? something in the manufacturing??

You know, you could be right about the mixer/spoon thing. I always use my Kitchen Aid or my beaters (which don't have a true low speed). I'm too lazy to use my bamboo spoon. I do use it for brownies, though. (Lots of experience with those...) I'll have to try the spoon next time, and see if it makes a difference. I read online somewhere that you should not overmix or it will make for tough cookies. Also, using cake flour and refrigerating the dough should help to make soft cookies. It seems I never do all the correct techiques in the same batch. Sometimes I wonder if I should buy the best quality ingredients rather than store brand butter, flour and sugar, to see if top quality ingredients make any difference. I do follow the recipe exactly as it's printed on the back of the Nestle bag.

Also, make sure you're aerating your flour, rather than scooping it with the measuring cup. A "proper" cup of flour is (I think) 7 ounces, but if you scoop, it tends to pack into the cup, and you can end up with 10 ounces or more in a 1-cup measure. Just run your whisk (clean, please!) through the flour in the bag/canister before you measure. And scoop it into the measuring cup using a spoon. Too much flour makes tough, dry cookies.

Mixing the batter too long with a mixer can melt the butter prematurely, affecting cookie texture, too.

Yeah, I follow it exactly too. Doesn't seem to help. As for name brand, tried that with no luck. The only other thing that I went back to was using Imperial marg sticks.??? That's what I had always used before, but I really think it's the mixer thing...

I use a recipe that calls for pudding mix and they always come out great!!

That's the recipe I use! I don't share that recipe. :)

chefann said:
That's the recipe I use! I don't share that recipe. :)
Oh come on! Choco chip cookies are my favorite!
I think the tip about old baking soda is right....I had that problem for awhile, but haven't noticed it since getting a new box.

Ohhh... twist my arm.I don't hand this out to friends and family any more because I like being the one who makes the best cookies. :) Of course, it's from Allrecipes, so they could find it if they knew where to look.My Director handed this out one Christmas as our "official Bottiaux cluster cookie recipe".Don't be alarmed at the amounts - it makes twice as many cookies as the Toll House recipe.Award Winning Chocolate Chip Cookies
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups (4 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups (2 12 oz. bags) semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups chopped walnts (optional)Heat oven to 350F (175C). Sift together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat in the pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Edges should be golden brown.These are really good made with butterscotch pudding. Substitute 1 bag of butterscotch chips for half of the chocolate chips, and pecans for the walnuts.I usually use white chocolate pudding mix in mine.I also make these in 3 sizes (to correspond to the 3 scoops): Company (small), family (medium) and ME (large).

If we ever attend the same party/gathering/event and we are supposed to bring a dish of some sort to pass, I promise not to make this recipe. And, I won't let on that I know what it is, either!

<giggle>
You obviously were posting (the links) while I was typing. :D

One of my favorite past times is looking up recipes, but I would have never thought to look up a chocolate chip cookie recipe with pudding in the mix. I really enjoy making and eating cookies and brownies, too. I can't wait to make these cookies. Chocolate chips are on sale at Meijer this week, so I'll have to get me some.

I have noticed a difference when my butter is actually softened by leaving it out versus nuking it for a bit. There are so many things to do wrong I think I need to go watch Alton again!!!

I LOVE ALLRECIPES!!! It is my very favorite recipe site, and I have a couple Allrecipe cookbooks.

Confession time....I am a chocolate chip SNOB! I only use Ghiradelli Chocolate Chips - I buy them when they are on sale and stock up. I've never used the Toll House Recipe.......I use one I got from a little cookie cookbook called "Afternoon Delights", and also a variation on the CC cookie for Macadamia/white chip cookies.
However - because I trust you Ann, and value your opinion....I think I will try your recipe - but switch the walnuts for pecans!

I skip the nuts altogether. (well, except when I'm surfing CS! :D)DH always wants a bowl (prep bowl) of the batter before I add chips. The chips get stuck in his teeth when they haven't been baked, and as soon as you put them in the oven they're overdone (according to him)!I think I even made these with white chips and chocolate fudge pudding mix once.

I've used that recipes for years too. If I use butter, they come out flatter. If I use Blue Bonnet margarine, that's when I get them thick and fluffy. Also use your small scoop to put them on the cookie sheet in little balls and don't flatten them that will make them fluffier.

My Toll House CC cookies ALWAYS are fluffy unless I change the margarine/butter and I've experimented MANY times.

I mix mine with a kichenaid mixer in case you want to know.

I think I used to use 1/2 margarine and 1/2 shortening and gradually switched over to all butter thinking it would be better. I guess I was wrong!

I'm going to have to try that recipe with the pudding. I guess today was a bad day to start my diet! :p

Thanks for the recipe! I'll definately have to try it:)

Pretty bummed about making the cookies. I went to the store, today to get ingredients, but I didn't buy butter. I have no butter! Don't know when I'll be able to get any. Maybe I'll have time tonight while I'm out, but I'm not going to make a special trip to the store even though I'm tempted.

Been there, done that! DH wanted caramel corn, and I had NO butter in the house (well, 1/2 a stick in the butter dish). He actually made a special trip so I could make him caramel corn. Then I went and, um.... overcooked it. (It's not my fault! KG was over for dinner and we were chatting while I was making it and I forgot to turn the heat off when I stirred in the popcorn.)

I do have a very good neighbor who always has every ingredient. I could borrow from her, but I'll wait. I don't make cookies during the day. I like to make them at night for some reason.

Ann and Janet,

I've been using that recipe since 1987. I got it from a girl I went to college with at UW-Stevens Point, and Janet, she was from Rhinelander!! I don't remember her name anymore, though...

I finally made Ann's cookie recipe today. I had to make a special trip into the grocery store, but I was half way there on a PC delivery. DELICIOUS! Soft and not flat. I like eating Toll House dough better, but the final outcome of these cookies make them the winner. (I let the butter "thaw" to room temperature. I hand mixed with a bamboo spoon, and I refrigerated the dough before baking and in between each batch.) This will be my new recipe.

JAE said:
I finally made Ann's cookie recipe today. I had to make a special trip into the grocery store, but I was half way there on a PC delivery. DELICIOUS! Soft and not flat. I like eating Toll House dough better, but the final outcome of these cookies make them the winner. (I let the butter "thaw" to room temperature. I hand mixed with a bamboo spoon, and I refrigerated the dough before baking and in between each batch.) This will be my new recipe.

It's my new recipe too - it was a definite winner with the "boys" at my house!:D
There are a grand total of 6 cookies left from the 1/2 batch I made on Friday! We did share them w/ friends when we went to the zoo today, but still......
And I made a trip to Meijers (the big 1/2 mile to get there!) to buy more chocolate chips (Ghiradelli's are on sale!) and more butter, plus more pudding, so I can make some to take on vacation!
Now, I'm thinking if I make them w/ Coconut Cream Pudding, White Choc. Chips, and Macadamias.....hmmmmm?

First, I have to try the ones w/ the pumpkin spice pudding and butterscotch chips.

So much for eating healthy!

chefann said:
Been there, done that! DH wanted caramel corn, and I had NO butter in the house (well, 1/2 a stick in the butter dish). He actually made a special trip so I could make him caramel corn. Then I went and, um.... overcooked it. (It's not my fault! KG was over for dinner and we were chatting while I was making it and I forgot to turn the heat off when I stirred in the popcorn.)
How do you make that?

OK- here's the caramel corn recipe. It's very similar to one I have in a cookbook, but I got this version here. It's sized up to use the Roasting Pan.
Oven Caramel Corn
2 cups brown sugar
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup light (white) corn syrup
6 qts. popped popcorn (use the 6 qt. SS bowl to measure!)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanillaBoil brown sugar, butter, syrup and salt for 5 minutes in Roasting Pan. Remove from heat and add vanilla and soda. Stir in popcorn. (You may add 1-2 cups nuts at this point, also.) Place in 200F oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on cooling racks, breaking up large clumps. Store in covered container to keep crisp.​
Do make sure you actually let the sugar mixture boil for 5 minutes, as that is what gives the caramel a deeper color and flavor.When I add nuts, I add them when it's cool, so there are some non-caramel things in the mix. Before Halloween, I made a batch with salted cashews and candy corn mixed in - delish! It's also great with plain M&Ms mixed in.

Okay,you all have me craving for some cookies! I too love allrecipes.com and could spend hours looking up new recipes. I will definetly have to try out the cookie recipe with the pudding mix.

And ChefAnn, you have so many great tips and ideas!!

Tried another batch!Tonight, my DS and I made another(half) batch of cookies - this time we used the Pumpkin Spice Pudding, and I added about 1 teas. of PC Cinnamon Plus Spice Blend, and butterscotch chips.......MMMMM MMMMM GOOD!

These are on my list to make again too! In fact, these are going to go on my Christmas Baking List!
We had them warm with a glass of milk tonight - I did stop myself at 2, but just because I know I can have more tomorrow!
We leave for vacation early Wed. morning - sure hope there are some left to take with us!

Okay, Becky, I too, made the cookies again tonight. I made the exact same recipe as before, chocolate chips and vanilla pudding. This time I made them in the bar pan. Haven't eaten any yet.

JAE said:
Okay, Becky, I too, made the cookies again tonight. I made the exact same recipe as before, chocolate chips and vanilla pudding. This time I made them in the bar pan. Haven't eaten any yet.

We are too funny! I can't post this on the "Get Healthy" thread....(hanging my head in shame) - I just ate 2 1/2 cookies w/ coffee for breakfast!:eek:

On a brighter note - my DH loved the shoes!:D (that was fun!)

I'm glad I could make so many people happy. :)

Make us happy? Try make us gain 25 lbs! :D :D :D

I think you've created a monster!

I made these last night and between my husband, DS and myself we ate a dozen. They are so yummy! Thanks Ann!!!!!!!!!

For those making the recipe I posted earlier in the thread, they do freeze well. You dont have to eat them all within a couple days. :D

chefann said:
For those making the recipe I posted earlier in the thread, they do freeze well. You dont have to eat them all within a couple days. :D

Ha ha ha! My intention was to freeze some - but none of them have made it to the freezer! I walk that way, but they are disappearing before I can get there - I think there is some kind of vacuum sucking them up............

Oh wait - maybe that's my mouth!:rolleyes:

ohhhh kaaaayyyy.... I'm not touchin' that with a 10-foot pole. (My dirty mind grabbed it and ran.)

chefann said:
ohhhh kaaaayyyy.... I'm not touchin' that with a 10-foot pole. (My dirty mind grabbed it and ran.)

Hey! This is a chocolate chip cookie thread! I have no idea where your mind is going! I'm thinking cookies!

;)

Here's another recipe to try ... makes the big bakery-style tick and chewy cookies and it's as much technique as ingredients. Like most recipes, they need a little longer on the stones. They make a pretty good bar too - 9x13 pan about 25-30 minutes.

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies - Cook's Illustrated
These truly chewy chocolate chip cookies are delicious served warm from the oven or cooled. To ensure a chewy texture, leave the cookies on the cookie sheet to cool. You can substitute white, milk chocolate, or peanut butter chips for the semi- or bittersweet chips called for in the recipe. In addition to chips, you can flavor the dough with one cup of nuts, raisins, or shredded coconut.

Makes 1 1/2 dozen 3-inch cookies 2 1/8 cups bleached all-purpose flour (about 10 1/2 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
1 cup brown sugar (light or dark), 7 ounces
1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 - 2 cups chocolate chips or chunks (semi or bittersweet)

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.

3. Form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Rotate halves ninety degrees and, with jagged surfaces exposed, join halves together at their base, again forming a single cookie, being careful not to smooth dough’s uneven surface. Place formed dough onto one of two parchment paper-lined 20-by-14-inch lipless cookie sheets, about nine dough balls per sheet. Smaller cookie sheets can be used, but fewer cookies can be baked at one time and baking time may need to be adjusted. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month—shaped or not.)

4. Bake, reversing cookie sheets’ positions halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes). (Frozen dough requires an extra 1 to 2 minutes baking time.) Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.

chefann said:

You could also take the cookie dough and put scoopfuls of it on a tray, plate, or stone and freeze them. Then store them in a sealed bag or tray. Sometimes they freeze really hard, other times a little soft. Not sure how this particular cookie dough will freeze, but then you can bake half a dozen or whatever amount you want by just pulling them out and letting them thaw on your cookie sheet. Just takes a few minutes.

So I took the Betty Crocker cookie in a bag mix yesterday and used Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and then spread it in my square baker. Baked for 20 minutes at 375. Took out, sprinkled crushed toffee bits on top, baked for 15 more minutes. I took this to a family pool party and it was a hit! Very easy, cheap and yummy! So if anyone wants cookies, without all the work (sometimes time's gotta take precedence) I would highly recommend this!

I'm going to have to try these cookies, not that I need any.

1. Why are my chocolate chip cookies coming out flat?

Flat cookies can be caused by a few different factors, including using old baking soda or baking powder, not chilling the dough before baking, or not using enough flour in the recipe. It's also important to make sure your oven is at the correct temperature and that you are measuring your ingredients accurately.

2. Do you have a recipe for thick and delicious chocolate chip cookies?

Yes, we have a tried and true recipe for thick and delicious chocolate chip cookies that will not disappoint. Our recipe includes a few key ingredients and steps to ensure your cookies come out thick and chewy every time.

3. Can I use the Toll House recipe and make adjustments to make them thicker?

While the Toll House recipe is a classic, it may not always produce thick cookies. You can try making adjustments such as adding an additional egg yolk, using bread flour instead of all-purpose flour, or chilling the dough before baking. However, for guaranteed thick and delicious cookies, we recommend trying our recipe.

4. What makes your chocolate chip cookie recipe fool-proof?

Our recipe has been tested and perfected to ensure that every batch comes out thick and delicious. We use a combination of butter and shortening to give the cookies structure and prevent them from spreading too thin. We also recommend chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking to help the cookies hold their shape.

5. Can I use this recipe for other types of cookies?

While this recipe is specifically for chocolate chip cookies, you can experiment with different mix-ins to create your own unique variations. Some suggestions include adding nuts, dried fruit, or different types of chocolate chips. Just be sure to keep the key ingredients and steps the same to ensure thick and delicious cookies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
keynibear
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies