• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I turn candy canes into a delicious trifle?

In summary, Jane made a trifle that used a brownie mix, chocolate pudding, "Candy Cane Coal", and Cool Whip. She layered the brownie, pudding, coal, and whipped cream, and suggested using our peppermint chocolate sauce in place of the crushed candy canes.
janezapchef
Gold Member
Hi all,
I have to share the trifle I made yesterday. I wanted to make something for an event I was doing that was similar to the candy cane pie sold by Market Day and Baker's Square. I really wanted to figure out how to make it into a trifle. I couldn't really figure it out, but what I did come up with was really yummy! One of my friends could only respond with "O-M-G!!!!"

Here's what I did.
I baked a brownie mix (with added chocolate chips) in the medium bar pan; cooled and cut into bite-sized pieces.
I made chocolate pudding from the instant mix then whisked in some of the Chocolate Peppermint sauce until it tasted minty enough for my liking.
I bought "Candy Cane Coal" from Trader Joe's, which is basically crushed up candy canes dipped in dark chocolate. It's not bark but actual tiny pieces of candy cane dipped in chocolate.
I layered the brownie, pudding, candy cane coal and Cool Whip.
Oh wow! It was really good!

Someone said it would probably be very good if you did it the same way but used crushed candy canes instead of the chocolate dipped stuff, or even crushed up peppermint bark would work. I think the key is stirring in the chocolate peppermint sauce.

This is definitely a keeper recipe for me! And, it's likely going to make its way to a holiday party or two!
Hope you can use it!
~Jane :)

do you have a picture? sounds yummy

I imagine crushed candy cane pieces would lend a great deal of color to all that brown chocolate in the layers. It sounds wonderful! I love the trifle bowl!

Well..I think you just helped me decide what to take to my family Christmas party on Saturday. I signed up for a dessert..and after seeing the list of what everyone else was bringing I decided it would NOT BE PUMPKIN..too much of that already.

I can totally see doing this, but putting those small candy canes standing up on around the edges to make it colorful and pretty....and I always prefer to make a mousse type mixture instead of traditional pudding (make the pudding with half the milk, then add 1 eight ounce tub of cool whip (or equivalent fresh) and fold in [per regular size pudding package])...makes a really light, airy texture and is so good! Thanks for the ideas!

Sounds so yummy!! Can't wait to make it. I saw the candy cane coal at Trader Joes yesterday and thought it sounded awesome. Now I definitely have to get it :)

OK..i just reread this and realized that I missed where it says about PC Chocolate Peppermint Sauce..I don't have any. I do have Peppermint flavor though..do you think I could mix that with Chocolate Fudge Sauce from the store. Will not be demoing this.

chefheidi2003 said:
OK..i just reread this and realized that I missed where it says about PC Chocolate Pe ppermint Sauce..I don't have any. I do have Peppermint flavor though..do you think I could mix that with Chocolate Fudge Sauce from the store. Will not be demoing this.

Yep, I think it would work this way too! It would be a pretty good and easy demo, even if you don't use our sauce. It would show quite a bit, especially if you chop candy canes with the chopper. You could suggest that they could make it with our sauce too.

I have a party booked for Dec 17th at my house for a friend. We were going to to Loaded Baked Potato Chowder and a lava cake, now I'm thinking I might switch to this trifle on her. I'm picking up the food so it's my choice...

Thanks for sharing this! I have a group Christmas Party next week....if we (the committee) decide to have desserts, vs Christmas Cookie Exchange, then I'll make this! I have the sauce in my fridge, and it's more than I can consume alone (no one else will eat it in my family).Great way to finish the jar! And sounds delish. I will likely used broken candy cane pieces myself also. I think I can even by them in the baking section for this season vs smashing up candy canes! :D K.I.S.S.!!

Thanks for this recipe! I am doing a Christmas Dessert show this weekend and this sounds wonderful and quick! Just what we all need this busy season. Will give it a try!:chef:

I just wanted to say that I made this for a family Christmas party today. Since I don't have a Trader Joe's near me I was going to just use crushed up candy canes..but..I was concerned about choking. So I found Andes makes a White Chocolate Peppermint candy. It was so good. I got so many compliments.

You could use Andes peppermint candies if you are out of PC choco peppermint sauce. They come in several colors this year.

1. What ingredients do I need to make a Chocolate Candy Cane Trifle?

To make a Chocolate Candy Cane Trifle, you will need the following ingredients:

• 1 box of chocolate cake mix
  • 1 can of chocolate pudding
  • 1 cup of crushed candy canes
  • 1 cup of whipped cream
  • 1 cup of chopped chocolate
  • 1 cup of milk

2. How long does it take to make a Chocolate Candy Cane Trifle?

The total time to make a Chocolate Candy Cane Trifle is about 1 hour and 30 minutes. This includes baking the cake, making the pudding, and assembling the trifle. However, the actual hands-on time is only about 20 minutes.

3. Can I make a Chocolate Candy Cane Trifle ahead of time?

Yes, you can make a Chocolate Candy Cane Trifle ahead of time. In fact, it is recommended to make it a day in advance to allow the flavors to meld together. Just cover the trifle with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge until ready to serve.

4. Can I use a different type of cake for this trifle?

Yes, you can use a different type of cake for this trifle. The recipe calls for a chocolate cake, but you can also use a white or yellow cake if you prefer. You can also use a pre-made cake from the store to save time.

5. Can I substitute the candy canes with another type of candy?

Yes, you can substitute the candy canes with another type of candy. Some great alternatives include crushed peppermint candies, chocolate chips, or even crushed Oreos. Get creative and use your favorite candy to make this trifle your own.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
janezapchef
  • AnnieBee
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
  • missyciccolella
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies