• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Finding Whole Blanched Hazelnuts: What to Know Before Shopping

In summary, the recipe was easy and the hazelnuts were easy to peel. The Nutella was worth the trouble.
DebPC
Staff member
Making this next week for a show. Will I have trouble finding the whole blanched hazelnuts in a reg. grocery store?
Thanks!

Around here, the only time I can find them in the grocery store is at Christmas.

They can be hard to find. I found them at a couple stores that have bulk bins in a special section.

I think I just got walnuts

Almonds could work, too, I think.

I could only find them in the skins (thank heavens they were shelled!) at our Fresh Market Grocery in the bulk food section. The best method for removing the skins was Julia Childs' way -- and true to my experiences in the past, she was right. I put 2 cups of water in a 3 quart saucepan (trust me, this was a good size), brought it to a boil and added the 3 T of baking soda that I had previously measured and placed in a plastic cup) all at once. FOAM! This was why the 3 qt pot was a good size. Stirred and added my half pound of hazelnuts in their skins. MORE FOAM! Danger Will Robinson - we almost had a boil over - a RED boil over. I reduced the heat to medium and kept stirring and picking up the pot to prevent a big messy boil over until my timer went off. After just 3 minutes, I checked one nut under cold running water - the peel slipped right off. SUCCESS!
Poured the remaining nuts into a colander and cooled them with cold running tap water. The peels slipped right off. The Decadent Hazelnut Torte was worth the trouble. YUM!

DebPC said:
Making this next week for a show. Will I have trouble finding the whole blanched hazelnuts in a reg. grocery store?
Thanks!

I have found them in the packaged nut section. Kind of pricey, though. I just bought bulk at Christmas and put them in the freezer.

LeslieSGI said:
I could only find them in the skins (thank heavens they were shelled!) at our Fresh Market Grocery in the bulk food section. The best method for removing the skins was Julia Childs' way -- and true to my experiences in the past, she was right. I put 2 cups of water in a 3 quart saucepan (trust me, this was a good size), brought it to a boil and added the 3 T of baking soda that I had previously measured and placed in a plastic cup) all at once. FOAM! This was why the 3 qt pot was a good size. Stirred and added my half pound of hazelnuts in their skins. MORE FOAM! Danger Will Robinson - we almost had a boil over - a RED boil over. I reduced the heat to medium and kept stirring and picking up the pot to prevent a big messy boil over until my timer went off. After just 3 minutes, I checked one nut under cold running water - the peel slipped right off. SUCCESS!
Poured the remaining nuts into a colander and cooled them with cold running tap water. The peels slipped right off. The Decadent Hazelnut Torte was worth the trouble. YUM!

Sounds like an easy fun way to blanch hazelnuts. I ended up toasting the nuts and rubbing the skins off with a microfiber towel. I Guess I will have to make the Torte again so I can use blanched hazelnuts. Sigh. The things I do for Nutella.

LeslieSGI said:

So all this talk about this recipe made me crave it. Besides, I have a open jar of Nutella that is screaming to get used up. Of course, it's not enough for the recipe, so I actually had to buy some more. ha ha

Thanks for posting these instructions, because the hazelnuts I have I'll need to remove the skins. Your instructions have me nervous though. ;) Wish me luck! :)

What are whole blanched hazelnuts?

Whole blanched hazelnuts are hazelnuts that have had their skins removed, leaving only the white inner nut. This process gives them a smoother, more uniform appearance and makes them easier to use in cooking and baking.

Where can I find whole blanched hazelnuts?

You can usually find whole blanched hazelnuts in the baking or nut section of most grocery stores. They may also be available in specialty stores or online.

What should I look for when shopping for whole blanched hazelnuts?

When shopping for whole blanched hazelnuts, look for nuts that are uniform in size and color. They should be firm and dry, with no signs of mold or moisture.

What are some ways to use whole blanched hazelnuts?

Whole blanched hazelnuts can be used in a variety of dishes, including salads, desserts, and as a topping for yogurt or oatmeal. They can also be ground into a flour or used to make hazelnut butter.

Do whole blanched hazelnuts need to be refrigerated?

No, whole blanched hazelnuts do not need to be refrigerated. They can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. However, if you live in a warm or humid climate, it may be best to store them in the refrigerator to prevent them from going rancid.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cindy Landon
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
amyv
Replies
Views
Becca115
Replies
Views
lalemom