• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using Chicken Past Best Before Date: Is it Safe?

In summary, you can still use chicken past its best before date as long as it has been stored properly and shows no signs of spoilage. To determine if the chicken is still safe to eat, check its appearance and smell. Freezing chicken can extend its shelf life and make it safe to consume even after the best before date has passed. To store chicken past its best before date, keep it in the refrigerator at or below 40°F in its original packaging or an airtight container. The best before date is just an indication of when the chicken is at its best quality, but it can still be safe to consume for a few days after that date.
CAPCnewbie
Just got off the phone with my open house host for tonight and she recalled how I mentioned the chicken penne dish in the dcb. She asked if I coudl make that for tonight. I said I could because I already have the ingredients but when i just checked my chicken in the fridge, the packaging says the best before date was yesterday. my mother-in-law said its just a suggested date and 1 day is not a big deal so i thought I'd ask what you though. Would you use chicken that has gone past its suggested best before date??

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with your MIL :) Not that I EVER agree with mine :D I say go for it, but let's see what others say.

I would smell it and then decide.

DebbieJ said:
I would smell it and then decide.

Same here. Bring it in a ziploc bag -- so your host won't be offended if she is the "sensitive" type.

Hi there! I completely understand your concern about using chicken that has gone past its suggested best before date. While it is ultimately up to your personal discretion, as a consultant for Pampered Chef, I would highly recommend following the recommended guidelines for food safety. It's always better to err on the side of caution and use fresh ingredients to ensure the best quality and taste for your dish. If you have any alternative protein options available, I would suggest using those instead. Thank you for reaching out and I hope your open house is a success!

1. Can I use chicken past its best before date?

Yes, you can still use chicken past its best before date as long as it has been stored properly and shows no signs of spoilage. The best before date is an indication of when the product is at its best quality, but it does not necessarily mean it is unsafe to consume after that date.

2. How do I know if the chicken is still safe to eat?

Check the appearance and smell of the chicken. If it looks discolored, slimy, or has a foul odor, it is likely spoiled and should not be consumed. If it looks and smells normal, it should be safe to eat.

3. Can I freeze chicken that has passed its best before date?

Yes, you can freeze chicken past its best before date as long as it has been stored properly. Freezing can extend the shelf life of chicken and make it safe to consume even after the best before date has passed.

4. What is the best way to store chicken past its best before date?

To ensure the safety and quality of the chicken, it should be stored in the refrigerator at or below 40°F. Make sure to keep it in its original packaging or in an airtight container to prevent cross-contamination.

5. How long can I keep chicken past its best before date?

The best before date is just an indication of when the chicken is at its best quality, but it can still be safe to consume for a few days after that date. However, it is best to use or freeze the chicken within 1-2 days after the best before date for optimal freshness and safety.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Loveh20mi
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
kristina16marie
  • Tina1977
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies