• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

DCB Chicken Fajitas: Add Oil for Extra Flavor?

In summary, The DCB Chicken Fajitas recipe involves slicing onions and peppers with a mandoline and forged cutlery respectively, then adding a rub of choice (e.g. Southwestern or Chipolte) to the bottom layer followed by chicken strips. Then another layer of rub is added. The recipe can also involve pressing garlic over the peppers and squeezing half a lime over the chicken before adding spice. Olive oil can be omitted as it is not necessary. It is advised
smilesarepriceless
Gold Member
Ok, I am at a different location and can't access word documents, or my files at home...and I'm just wanting to get the scoop on the recipe that works for the most!

DCB Chicken Fajitas

Onion - Apple Wedger
2 Peppers ( 2 different colors makes it prettier) - SLices w/ Forged Cutlery
Bottom layer DCB
Add 1 TB of RUB of choice - Southwestern ---or Chipolte
Layer of Chicken Strips
Add 1 TB of RUB of choice - Southwestern ---or Chipolte

QUESTION 1 - Do you do ANYTHING DIFFERENT THAN above and have great success with your recipe variation?
QUESTION 2 - Does anyone add 1-2 tsp of olive oil on top of chicken before adding more rub?

Very excited about doing this at a show tonight!

I do this recipe at 75% of my shows. However, I do a few changes. I use the mandoline first of all to slice the peppers, but that's no biggie. They do go on the bottom, but I press at least 2 cloves of garlic over that. Add the spice (I like the sw). Chicken tenderloins, add spice. I don't measure the spice, just sprinkle till it looks good. I do not add the oil. It really DOESN'T need it at all! Also, I found this out quite by accident this week. I always worry about thawing my tenderloins before the show, but this week I made it for my family and used them frozen. It was so much juicier even than usual, and that juice could easily be used as a start for tortilla soup!

I do the onions and peppers on the bottom, then sprinkle with either SW or Chipotle--I don't measure, just a noticeable sprinkled layer (1 tbsp seems to be a lot and a pain to measure when I want it to just be fast). Then I put on chicken breasts (I have so far only used breasts and don't slice them up before hand.) Then I use the citrus press and squeeze 1/2 a lime over the chicken and then grind some salt and then sprinkle more of the seasonings on top. Cover and bake 15 minutes. Sometimes I will stop it midway and see if the chicken breasts need to switch places with each other so they cook evenly. But I always use the pocket thermometer when it's done to be sure it's cooked through.--Oh, and I don't use oil at all. It's not needed. Nothing sticks to the DCB with this recipe, if anything just use the kitchen spritzer for a tiny spray of oil. But it's fine w/o it.

I add 1/2 of a lime as well, kicks up the flavor! There is typically enough 'juices' from the veggies and the chicken, have never used additional oil.

I have done this as interactive shows and it's a huge hit! :thumbup:
We slice onions w/ Ultimate Mandoline, slice peppers with Forged Cutlery, sprinkle on chipotle rub and splash some garlic-infused canola oil on veg's. I slice up chicken into strips and lay on top. I again sprinkle with seasoning and garlic-infused oil and a little salt. Sqeeze a lime on top and 13-15 min in micro.

As that is cooking we make the salsa. I use all the tools I can on the salsa! Then when fajitas are done I chop up with Salad Chopper.
I will then shred cheese with Ultimate Mandoline when everyone is fixing a plate..

One lady dropped her jaw when I said it would be cooked in the DCB in the micro....needless to say she had TWO plates full and booked a show!:)

I love this recipe and can't wait to use the apple wedger for the onion. I put cheese in the rotary grater and let people grate their own on their plate. I also put the sour cream in the decorator. I use the citrus press for the lime and I am going to start using the meat tenderizer to flatten out the chicken breasts so they cook evenly - it hasn't been a problem but it shows another tool. Oh, and I salt and pepper it with the grinder set no matter which of the seasonings I use.

pcsharon1 said:
I love this recipe and can't wait to use the apple wedger for the onion. I put cheese in the rotary grater and let people grate their own on their plate. I also put the sour cream in the decorator. I use the citrus press for the lime and I am going to start using the meat tenderizer to flatten out the chicken breasts so they cook evenly - it hasn't been a problem but it shows another tool. Oh, and I salt and pepper it with the grinder set no matter which of the seasonings I use.

Ok....way to come up with uses for our products! Now I need to add the EAD for the sour cream - genius by the way....and the apple wedger for the onions.....our PC products are so Fab! :sing: So many uses, so little space, and not enough time to show them off! :p

Love the lime idea! Can't wait to try that!

Here is how I've been doing the fajitas for over a year now...it's still a very popular interactive show!

Attachments

• Chicken Fajitas.doc
    17 KB · Views: 622
ChefBeckyD said:
Here is how I've been doing the fajitas for over a year now...it's still a very popular interactive show!

Becky or anyone else that can answer this...
In the recipe it says to slice the peppers with the UM or knives... I just can't figure out how to put the peppers in the UM to get them to slice right... what am I missing? And remember, I need details, :confused: I can be a little slow at times... so tell from the minute you pick up the pepper what you do.... thanks!

ChefPaulaB said:
Becky or anyone else that can answer this...
In the recipe it says to slice the peppers with the UM or knives... I just can't figure out how to put the peppers in the UM to get them to slice right... what am I missing? And remember, I need details, :confused: I can be a little slow at times... so tell from the minute you pick up the pepper what you do.... thanks!

In order to do it in the UM, it has to be a small pepper. Cut the stem out, and core the seeds. I've used a paring knife to core, and then the Core and More to scrape out the seeds. It works best to cut the pepper in half (so you have 2 circles, not two wedges) and put one circle in the holder at a time. Use the V-blade to slice it.

With that being said, I usually use a couple knives for mine, and let other people slice up the peppers. :chef: I usually wedge an onion with the apple wedger, and then show another onion using the UM.

Oh all of these are great. I use the wedger for the onion and add lime with the citrus press, use my FC to slice the peppers and SW seasoning.
I also use SW seasoning. I can't wait to try chipotle though!
I use the RG for the cheese and SA pieces to add things like tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, etc..
and of course the salad choppers to chop them all up once cooked.

My director demoed making a cut from the stem to the bottom, then cutting around the stem to remove both stem and seeds. She then rolls the pepper up (like a wrap) and it fits into the UM...

Hmmm, I guess that I'm going to have to practice these and decide which way I want to cut the peppers.... with the onion and the UM, which way do you cut the onion before you put it into the holder? In half, in quarters, with the circle or against it? (does that make sense? not really)... I like the idea of rolling the pepper, in theory, I'll have to see how it works for me at home first though... although, I have to say that sometimes (for me anyway) it's fun to try new things at a show, I always tell them that I've never tried it before, so lets see how it works and then when it works they can really see how easy it is because they know that I haven't practiced it to make it look easy, and I usually get really excited when it works and that's kind of contagious too... thanks for all of the tips ladies, I think that I'll be doing these at my next 2 shows (Thursday and Tues) if I can convince my sister to let me do these instead of the ones on the grill... I told her that we can do the fajitas in the DCB and grill some shrimp or pineapple on the grill... isn't there something in one of these threads about grilling pineapple slices in the grill basket on the grill? She really wants to showcase the grilling basket but I think the DCB is better $$$....

I make this recipe all the time and I add the garlic and lime juice, I use both the southwestern and chipotle then I mix in a little salsa with the veggies and a little more over the chicken..this really kicks up the flavor. I also make the lemon-lime fizz while this is in the mircowave and use the mandoline on the limes.

pvt35115 said:
I make this recipe all the time and I add the garlic and lime juice, I use both the southwestern and chipotle then I mix in a little salsa with the veggies and a little more over the chicken..this really kicks up the flavor. I also make the lemon-lime fizz while this is in the mircowave and use the mandoline on the limes.

Mmmm, I like kicked up!!! Have never made the Lemon-lime fizz but I know that both of my hosts want the Slap Your Mama Margaritas... so that's what we'll be making at these shows, but would like to hear more about the lemon-lime fizz... for future reference!

ChefPaulaB said:
Mmmm, I like kicked up!!! Have never made the Lemon-lime fizz but I know that both of my hosts want the Slap Your Mama Margaritas... so that's what we'll be making at these shows, but would like to hear more about the lemon-lime fizz... for future reference!

It's a variation of the Raspberry Fizz - the recipe is in a recent Season's Best...just can't remember which one.:blushing:

Slap Your Mama Margaritas? How funny! Recipe please??

cookin to the top said:
Slap Your Mama Margaritas? How funny! Recipe please??

1 can frozen Limeade
2 cans 7up or Sprite (we always use diet 7up or Sprite Free, tastes better and less calories)
1 cup Tequila (any brand you prefer)
1 bottle Corona (no substitution)

Put it all in the Quick Stir Pitcher and mix and enjoy!!!

I usually get a 2L of the pop and just fill the can from the limeade twice. And I sometimes run a wedge of lime over the glass that I'm pouring into and dip it into margarita salt and then sqeeze the lime into the glass and then pour the margarita over it (with ice). If you think ahead it's also good to put your tequila in the freezer and make sure your pop and beer is really cold, makes it really good! These are so addicting, everyone that I serve them too loves them and wants the recipe and always requests when they come over! We don't like margaritas any other way now!

ChefPaulaB said:
Hmmm, I guess that I'm going to have to practice these and decide which way I want to cut the peppers.... with the onion and the UM, which way do you cut the onion before you put it into the holder? In half, in quarters, with the circle or against it? (does that make sense? not really)... I like the idea of rolling the pepper, in theory, I'll have to see how it works for me at home first though... although, I have to say that sometimes (for me anyway) it's fun to try new things at a show, I always tell them that I've never tried it before, so lets see how it works and then when it works they can really see how easy it is because they know that I haven't practiced it to make it look easy, and I usually get really excited when it works and that's kind of contagious too... thanks for all of the tips ladies, I think that I'll be doing these at my next 2 shows (Thursday and Tues) if I can convince my sister to let me do these instead of the ones on the grill... I told her that we can do the fajitas in the DCB and grill some shrimp or pineapple on the grill... isn't there something in one of these threads about grilling pineapple slices in the grill basket on the grill? She really wants to showcase the grilling basket but I think the DCB is better $$$....

For me i cut the bell pepper's in half (from stem to bottom) then take out the seeds and steam and cut those in half (from stem to bottom) again. Then you can put 2 pieces in on there side kind of "spooning" eachother. (sorry don't know how else to explain it :blushing:) they fit great in there and it works wonderful!!!!! For the onion i cut off the ends and then cut it in half from cut end to the other cut end. Then it fits just fine in there. For the chicken i always cut up the chicken breast into strips before i put it in. I rub it in the chipotle rub so it gets ALL over it. I love these things and i'm going to have to try the lime in there with it. It sounds yummy!!!! I hope this helps!

I should have put I us the UM with the V blade. Sorry

cooknmama said:
Then you can put 2 pieces in on there side kind of "spooning" each other. (sorry don't know how else to explain it :blushing:) they fit great in there and it works wonderful!!!!!

Meanwhile, the onions are singing "Boom Chicka WOW WOW!" Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D On a more serious note, thank you so much for the description. That helps me out tremendously. I normally don't even both with the UM because I have a hard time working the thing. I am going to try the "spooning method" to see if it works for me.

Thanks!

TrishPCMommy said:
My director demoed making a cut from the stem to the bottom, then cutting around the stem to remove both stem and seeds. She then rolls the pepper up (like a wrap) and it fits into the UM...

Not to hijack, but that is why I wish they would change the shape of the UM food holder. Either make it round or square so more things can fit. Not too many things, besides potatoes, grow in that oval shape :)

i love this recipe, even the guides are impressed with how moist the chicken is but several times it get very watery or runny, not sure why?

I made these last night (fajitas). I forgot to order the SW seasoning so I picked up a packet of Fajita seasoning at the store. Not sure what I thought of the flavor b/c I have never used the seasoning before... Has anyone else? Would taco seasoning be better or is this my taste issues (trust me I have lots).

I plan on doing the recipe tonite at my show with the Pineapple salsa (all for the first time at a show) so I'm hoping to have something people like and not tank my sales with a dud recipe (by using the packet as a substitute).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

IMHO, I would use the taco seasoning that has 50% (?) less sodium. Probably you should not use the whole envelope. Somewhere I have a recipe for making your own taco seasoning from individual spices; it is much better than what comes in the envelope.

Another idea, you could substitute the Mexican Seasoning made by Spice Hunter. I have done that at my Mom's house when I didn't bring the Southwest Seasoning.​

Melissa78 said:
I made these last night (fajitas). I forgot to order the SW seasoning so I picked up a packet of Fajita seasoning at the store. Not sure what I thought of the flavor b/c I have never used the seasoning before... Has anyone else? Would taco seasoning be better or is this my taste issues (trust me I have lots).

I plan on doing the recipe tonite at my show with the Pineapple salsa (all for the first time at a show) so I'm hoping to have something people like and not tank my sales with a dud recipe (by using the packet as a substitute).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the Chipotle Rub? I use that usually.

I do have it - and I think I have it packed in my bag...how much do you use? I'm not a good one for eye balling spices b/c I rarely use them and my luck I'll make it so spicy no one will want it. hehe :D

I wasn't a huge fan of the Fajita mix last nite and I did use the whole envelope (read above about my inability to ration spices). Perhaps it was too much?

Melissa78 said:
I do have it - and I think I have it packed in my bag...how much do you use? I'm not a good one for eye balling spices b/c I rarely use them and my luck I'll make it so spicy no one will want it. hehe :D

That's a toughie - because I always eyeball spices. I always telling people I'd probably sell more measuring spoons if I actually used them!:eek:

I would guess about 2 teaspoons over the veggies, and then another teaspoon over the chicken...if it doesn't look like enough, you can always shake on a little more.

so if sprinkling - a light sprinkle? Using the whole packet last night the chicken and veggies were very heavily covered.

Melissa78 said:
so if sprinkling - a light sprinkle? Using the whole packet last night the chicken and veggies were very heavily covered.

Yes - a light sprinkle. I wouldn't use as much as you did last night. Usually, when I use a packet mix like that, I only use half.

Ha! That could be why I didn't care so much for the taste. Well if my bag has Chipotle in it, which I think it does, I will go with your suggestion and go for a light sprinkle on the veggies and then again on the chicken. Keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! I'm not one for spicy so I've been leery of the Chipotle.

What do you normally serve with yours? I picked up Sour Cream and Cheese...forgot Salsa. Can pick that up before the show. Anything else? Do people use the salsa? (I don't eat it so I can't go by me).

Melissa78 said:
Ha! That could be why I didn't care so much for the taste. Well if my bag has Chipotle in it, which I think it does, I will go with your suggestion and go for a light sprinkle on the veggies and then again on the chicken. Keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! I'm not one for spicy so I've been leery of the Chipotle.

What do you normally serve with yours? I picked up Sour Cream and Cheese...forgot Salsa. Can pick that up before the show. Anything else? Do people use the salsa? (I don't eat it so I can't go by me).

I usually have the guests make the salad chopper salsa as part of the show. But I would definitely have salsa of some kind for fajitas.
I also squeeze 1/2 of a lime over the chicken before putting it in the micro - that gives it a great pop of flavor w/o being spicy.

I do things a little differently ( learned this from my Director)

I spray the DCB with oil from Kitchen spritzer and then brush oil on each breast with the basting brush. Sprinkle with a bit of Chipotle rub.

I then cut a pepper and an onion into quarters and throw into baker.

Microwave it for about 14 minutes - turned once if in a smaller microwave.

While it is cooking, I can demo the utility knife by cutting the fixings (green onion, tomato, etc)

Take DCB out and then chop everything with SALAD CHOPPER. It's a GREAT way to get guests trying the products as they want to see how the chopper actually cuts the chicken! Cuts your cutting time in half!

Thanks ladies! I plan on using UM for onion/peppers, sprinkle Chipotle, lay chicken tenders across top, sprinkle with chipotle, squeeze half of lime over it. Cut up with Choppers when done. Serve sour cream, cheese & salsa on the side and then do the pineapple salsa (without jalapenos) and have the Lime Tostitos to go with the dip.

Hope it all works out! I'm straying from my first recipe (3 cheese garden pizza) for the first time so I'm stepping out of my box. Hoping to get more interest in the DCB as the pork isn't getting the results I was hoping for. We will see!

Melissa78 said:
Thanks ladies! I plan on using UM for onion/peppers, sprinkle Chipotle, lay chicken tenders across top, sprinkle with chipotle, squeeze half of lime over it. Cut up with Choppers when done. Serve sour cream, cheese & salsa on the side and then do the pineapple salsa (without jalapenos) and have the Lime Tostitos to go with the dip.

Hope it all works out! I'm straying from my first recipe (3 cheese garden pizza) for the first time so I'm stepping out of my box. Hoping to get more interest in the DCB as the pork isn't getting the results I was hoping for. We will see!

I never had any interest doing the pork either - but the 30 Minute Chicken has been a goldmine! Just did it again this week, and sold 2 DCB outright, booked a show because of it, and the show is at $630 right now!

The fajita show is a GREAT show using a more interactive format - let people slice w/ the knives, and use the salad chopper, etc....FUN show!

I only have the Utility Knife from my kit...what do you have them do as the interactive part? Also, I used the Salad Choppers last nite for the first time...what do you use as your talking point about them? The only interactive things I have done is letting guests use the UM and the garlic press and I've stopped with the garlic press b/c it seems like no one can do it easily and then the guests think its too hard to squeeze. (it works fine for me but maybe I have a different grip on it).

Wow what great tips from everyone! I have made the fajitas at home and loved them! I have my first show coming up - after reading this great thread I think I'm going to make those with the Pass-Around-Salsa or pinapple salsa. Its a party with mostly people from work so I was thinking about making a trifle dessert at home and bringing it with me. Any suggestions? I only have the mini kit but I'm going to ask my recruiter if I can borrow her triffle dish - I can't wait to buy one.

So I have started using the Meat Tenderizor to flatten the chicken breasts so they will cook more evenly. I now sell at least 2 at every show I do the fajitas at and this is a product that I had NEVER sold before.

I just had the guests 1/4 the peppers and onions with the Santoko ...then after the chicken was done, we used the Salad Chopper! Beautiful color...chop the size you want & enjoy!

I'm kind of torn here, because I like that idea, the easier the better, and the guests always like the idea of less work and less dishes, but I also like to show the different ways you can use our products. When I cut the onion with the Apple Wedger everyone went crazy, and then you mention the potato for potato wedges and look out! So, maybe I'd still do the onion with the wedger and then just quarter the peppers and you can still use the salad chopper at the end, I like small pieces of onion anyway...

I find that it's still good to use the apple wedger because the pieces are still kind of wide for most people and so they can still afford to get cut up by the salad choppers. :D

Love it...I've been with PC for over 8 years and I've NEVER heard of using the Apple Wedger for an onion. Can't wait to try it!!!

ChefPaulaB said:
I'm kind of torn here, because I like that idea, the easier the better, and the guests always like the idea of less work and less dishes, but I also like to show the different ways you can use our products. When I cut the onion with the Apple Wedger everyone went crazy, and then you mention the potato for potato wedges and look out! So, maybe I'd still do the onion with the wedger and then just quarter the peppers and you can still use the salad chopper at the end, I like small pieces of onion anyway...

I like showing as many products as possible too, Paula!

People do go nuts when you show them the wedger! I sell a ton of them because people love the fact that you can use it for onions and potatoes too!

I let people use the knives on the peppers. I always pass around a knife & a cutting board with the peppers, and let people see for themselves how incredible our knives are - even on peppers. I try to make sure everyone gets a turn. My goal is to get everyone to want & need the knives! One of my new consultants was sharing with me last night that her MIL (who had purchased the Utility knife at the show she hosted) called her this week so excited about her knife. She had declined to try it at the show, but ended up purchasing one. She used it for the first time, and had to call to let her know that I hadn't been exaggerating.:rolleyes: In her words "cutting that pepper was like a hot knife going through soft butter".:D Love it! She had previously said No to booking a show, but now is thinking she'd like to have an October show to get more knives! Now - she didn't use the knife at the show, but I don't think she would have purchased it if she hadn't heard everyone else oohing and aahing over the knives!

You can still use the salad choppers at the end - I do too.

Thanks for all the tips!! I can't wait to try it this weekend! Has anyone done the fajitas on the grill in the grill basket?

I have a host that wants to do a grilling show and then last minute I find out she's allergic to pineapple which is one of the ingredients in the Grilled Margarita Shrimp recipe I was going to do!!

I tried the fajitas at home the other night and I thought they were a little bland and watery. I used quite a bit of Southwestern Seasoning and only had a slice of lime on hand. Is the secret the chipotle and half a lime for flavor?

I also tried the pass around salsa and it was ok... but missing something too. I did grape tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, lime, and garlic...

Any other tips on seasonings?

JenniK said:
I tried the fajitas at home the other night and I thought they were a little bland and watery. I used quite a bit of Southwestern Seasoning and only had a slice of lime on hand. Is the secret the chipotle and half a lime for flavor?

I also tried the pass around salsa and it was ok... but missing something too. I did grape tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, lime, and garlic...

Any other tips on seasonings?

Salt. If you add just a bit of salt to each recipe, it will make the lime and pepper flavors really pop. Especially with the salsa. Night and day difference with salt vs. without.

And yes, use the chipotle rub, and half a lime with the fajitas!

Thanks Becky! I added some salt... but probably not near enough. I'll give this a try again once I get my Chipotle rub in.

I'm not sure if this has been posted or suggested yet but my director just gave me this idea to help with the liquid in the bottom of the baker.

She puts instant rice in the bottom of the baker (not a lot, just enough to cover the bottom), then puts the onions, peppers, rub, chicken & rub again. Micro'd like normal & it was great.

Oh, on another note... I just did these fajitas at my cousin's show on Saturday (I've been doing them for a while too & love them) and sold 3 DCB's at full price. Plus, I mentioned how the fajitas could be made on the stove in the 12" skillet & sold a stainless one at full price!! :eek: Her show will be closing a little over $1,000!

<h2>Question 1</h2><p>Do you do ANYTHING DIFFERENT THAN above and have great success with your recipe variation?</p><h2>Answer</h2><p>While the recipe for DCB Chicken Fajitas calls for a bottom layer of DCB, followed by a layer of onions and peppers, and then a layer of chicken strips, some people have had success with variations. Some have added a layer of black beans or corn in between the onions and peppers, while others have added a layer of shredded cheese on top of the chicken. Experimenting with different variations can add new flavors and textures to the dish.</p><h2>Question 2</h2><p>Does anyone add 1-2 tsp of olive oil on top of chicken before adding more rub?</p><h2>Answer</h2><p>Yes, some people have had success with adding a small amount of olive oil on top of the chicken before adding the rub. This can help to add extra moisture and flavor to the chicken. However, it is important to keep in mind that the rub already contains spices and seasonings, so be mindful of not adding too much oil and overpowering the dish. You can also try using flavored oils, such as garlic or chili oil, for an extra kick of flavor.</p>

Question 1

Do you do ANYTHING DIFFERENT THAN above and have great success with your recipe variation?

Answer

While the recipe for DCB Chicken Fajitas calls for a bottom layer of DCB, followed by a layer of onions and peppers, and then a layer of chicken strips, some people have had success with variations. Some have added a layer of black beans or corn in between the onions and peppers, while others have added a layer of shredded cheese on top of the chicken. Experimenting with different variations can add new flavors and textures to the dish.

Question 2

Does anyone add 1-2 tsp of olive oil on top of chicken before adding more rub?

Answer

Yes, some people have had success with adding a small amount of olive oil on top of the chicken before adding the rub. This can help to add extra moisture and flavor to the chicken. However, it is important to keep in mind that the rub already contains spices and seasonings, so be mindful of not adding too much oil and overpowering the dish. You can also try using flavored oils, such as garlic or chili oil, for an extra kick of flavor.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• TheFreddiesCook
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
chefann
  • Dotty
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies