• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chicken Broth vs. Chicken Stock: What's the Difference?

In summary, broth has more flavor than stock. When you cook the bony parts for a long time, it brings out the intense flavor from the marrow. You can use broth if that's all you have though. I also use the Beef bases anytime I am using ground beef (like in Spaghetti Sauce)... I think it was a tip from Sandra Lee... makes it taste more like you've spent all day stewing.
pkd09
Silver Member
I should know this but I don't....is there a difference between chicken broth and chicken stock?

Thats not a stupid question, but I don't have your answer as I don't know either.

Here is your answer. I was having difficulty putting it into words so I Google for you.Chicken Broth - usually made with the meat and parts of the chicken. It has a high flesh to bone ratio. You can use whole chickens or an assortment of chicken parts. Some experts believe that the best results for a broth is to use stewing chickens rather than the fryers and roasters that are easily found in your grocery store. However, I've made delicious broths from roasters if you absolutely cannot find a stewing chicken. Lots of times, you can ask your butcher or poultry manager to order a stewing chicken if they don't have any on hand. At sea level, the reduction time for chicken broth can be as long as 3 hours.Chicken Stock - is made up mostly form chicken parts that have a lower ratio of flesh to bone. Good parts to use would be necks, backs and breast bones. You can easily get the boney parts of the chicken at your local grocery store. Just ask for them at the meat counter and they will either have them on hand or will be happy to order them for you. Also, save your bones! Just gather up leftover chicken bones and freeze them until you are ready to use when making stock. To get the maximum amount of gelée from your stock, reduction time at sea level is about 6 hours.

So broth would have more flavor that stock? I always see RR using stock.

pkd09 said:
So broth would have more flavor that stock? I always see RR using stock.

No, actually stock has more flavor than broth. When you cook the bony parts for a long time, it brings out the intense flavor from the marrow...

Could you use broth if that's all you had though??

I just got this recipe for soup from a friend and it says chicken stock, but I only have chicken broth and would rather use that first then go buy the other. Someone also told me to put a chicken boullion cube in the broth for extra flavor like the stock, does anyone know if this is true??

Thanks-
Kelly V

KellyRedHead said:
Could you use broth if that's all you had though??

I just got this recipe for soup from a friend and it says chicken stock, but I only have chicken broth and would rather use that first then go buy the other. Someone also told me to put a chicken boullion cube in the broth for extra flavor like the stock, does anyone know if this is true??

Thanks-
Kelly V

That's what I would recommend.

Yes, it is okay to use whatever you have on hand. I would do a taste-test prior to adding any boullion

I always doctor up my chicken broth with some extra soup base... either bouillon cube or packet, or Better Than Bouillon (or similar). It seems to intensify the flavor (careful, I think it also adds sodium).I also use the Beef bases anytime I am using ground beef (like in Spaghetti Sauce)... I think it was a tip from Sandra Lee... makes it taste more like you've spent all day stewing.

1. What is the main difference between chicken broth and chicken stock?

The main difference between chicken broth and chicken stock is the cooking time and ingredients used. Chicken broth is made by simmering chicken meat in water with vegetables and herbs for a shorter period of time, resulting in a lighter and more flavorful liquid. On the other hand, chicken stock is made by simmering chicken bones, vegetables, and herbs for a longer period of time, resulting in a thicker and richer liquid with more collagen and gelatin.

2. Can chicken broth and chicken stock be used interchangeably in recipes?

While they can both add flavor to dishes, chicken broth and chicken stock are not always interchangeable. Chicken broth is better for dishes that require a lighter flavor, such as soups, sauces, and gravies. Chicken stock, on the other hand, is better for dishes that require a deeper and richer flavor, such as stews, risottos, and braised dishes.

3. Can I make my own chicken broth or stock at home?

Yes, you can make chicken broth or stock at home by simmering chicken bones or meat with vegetables and herbs in water for a designated period of time. This allows you to control the ingredients and flavor of the broth or stock, and also gives you the option to make a larger batch and freeze it for future use.

4. Are there any health benefits to using chicken broth or stock?

Chicken broth and stock are both rich in nutrients and minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, as well as collagen and gelatin, which can improve joint health, skin elasticity, and digestion. However, store-bought versions may contain added salt and preservatives, so making your own at home may be a healthier option.

5. Can I use vegetable broth or stock as a substitute for chicken broth or stock?

Yes, you can use vegetable broth or stock as a substitute for chicken broth or stock. However, keep in mind that the flavor will be different and may not work well in certain recipes. It's always best to use the recommended type of broth or stock in a recipe for the best results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • Loveh20mi