• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is American Cheese Loaf? Substitute Ideas?

In summary, American Cheese Loaf is a popular processed cheese product made from a blend of cheeses, emulsifiers, and other ingredients. While not classified as a natural cheese, it is still considered a dairy product and regulated by the FDA. It can be used in recipes, but may not give the same flavor and texture as real cheese. Some alternatives for American Cheese Loaf include cheddar, Swiss, or provolone cheese slices, shredded cheese, or cheese spread. However, it may not be suitable for those with lactose intolerance due to its ingredients. It is best to check the label and consult with a healthcare professional before consuming.
Laura420
Hi Gang...

I just got the new BC recipe book and in one of the recipes it says "american cheese loaf". What the heck is that? Do they mean velveeta? :eek:

I am trying new reciepes, hopefully ones that are appealing to my little ones, and are more kid friendly than my usual italian soul food... so I subscribed to this magazine and some of the things they use I am not too familiar with because I usually make things from scratch... so I am kinda unsure what they are talking about? :eek:

Do you think I can subsitute that "loaf" with some grated cheddar cheese?

Yes they mean velveeta...

Unless it is from a specific company (Kraft, Pillsbury, etc.), they usually make the ingredients "neutral" but it sure is confusing! LOL! I mean can't they just call it "Cool Whip" instead of non-dairy frozen whipped topping for gosh sakes! LOL!

lol... Jane!

after I read it I was like ... "what the heck is that", it just sounded gross, :yuck: then it dawned on me that it might be velveeta... duh!

Kraft does make a loaf of cheese, similar to Velveeta that is called American cheese loaf. It is a different product than Velveeta and it's in a blue loaf-shaped box. I am not sure if it is still readily available though. I think you could substitute either Velveeta or American cheese slices by weight...12 oz of slices for 12 oz. Amer. cheese loaf. The american cheese loaf is much more expensive than Velveeta too.
Deb

1. What is American Cheese Loaf?

American Cheese Loaf is a processed cheese product made from a blend of cheeses, emulsifiers, and other ingredients. It has a mild flavor and a smooth, creamy texture, making it a popular choice for sandwiches and melting in recipes.

2. Is American Cheese Loaf considered real cheese?

American Cheese Loaf is not classified as a natural cheese because it is made from a blend of cheeses and other ingredients. However, it is still considered a dairy product and is regulated by the FDA.

3. Can I substitute American Cheese Loaf in recipes that call for real cheese?

While American Cheese Loaf can be used in many recipes, it may not give the same flavor and texture as real cheese. It is best to use it in recipes that call for melting or blending with other ingredients.

4. What are some ideas for substituting American Cheese Loaf?

If you are looking for a substitute for American Cheese Loaf, you can try using cheddar, Swiss, or provolone cheese slices. You can also use shredded cheese or a cheese spread for a similar texture and flavor.

5. Is American Cheese Loaf a good choice for people with lactose intolerance?

American Cheese Loaf may not be the best choice for those with lactose intolerance as it is a processed cheese product and may contain lactose. It is always best to check the ingredient label and consult with a healthcare professional before consuming if you have a lactose intolerance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pchefkristin
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • donnathepamperedchef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies