• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cheese Grater Tips: How Can I Avoid My Cheese Sticking to the Grater?

In summary, the soft cheese will not stick to the grater if microwaved for less time. The trick is to hold the grater and not squeeze it. You can also grate carrots, zucchini, and other vegetables.
its_me_susan
Please give me your best cheese grater tips! I've heard the put the soft cheese in the microwave to bring the oils out and keep it from sticking to the grater.... however this didn't work the last time I did mozzerella and it all stuck in the barrel.

Do you have any tips

Here's a tipJust remember, the softer the cheese the lighter the squeeze! If you were pushing hard on the feeder then you will gum up the barrrel no matter how cold or warm your cheese is!

Marlene Bauman
Independent Sales Director
The Pampered Chef

Microwave it for less time next time I put it in the microwave for about 6 seconds. The trick to the cheese grater is to hold it not squeeze it with any thing. If you are squeezing it pushs the food into the wheel making it hard to grate. Even your hard cheeses and veggies, etc will grate easier if you lightly hold the handle.

fruit76loop said:
Just remember, the softer the cheese the lighter the squeeze! If you were pushing hard on the feeder then you will gum up the barrrel no matter how cold or warm your cheese is!

Marlene Bauman
Independent Sales Director
The Pampered Chef

oh my, really? Thank you for that easy way to remember!

bbauman07 said:
Microwave it for less time next time I put it in the microwave for about 6 seconds. The trick to the cheese grater is to hold it not squeeze it with any thing. If you are squeezing it pushs the food into the wheel making it hard to grate. Even your hard cheeses and veggies, etc will grate easier if you lightly hold the handle.

you grate veggies? what else? I know chocolate, but hadn't thought of veggies!

I find a hard squeeze is necessary for parmesan though, isn't it?

Maybe it is for the hard cheeses but I was told to lightly hold the handle with everything because if you think about it if you were using the traditional type of grater you don't push it into the grater you just push down on the cheese, etc. So I have never tried to squeeze the handle.

You can grate carrots for salads or meat loaf, zucchini for breads, bread crumbs or crackers, cabbage for cole slaw, apple for pancakes, bacon for bacon bits, frozen butter over waffles or instead of drizzling melted butter, also potatoes for hashbrowns, and even crayons for you crafts like candle making.
I hope this has helped you.

bbauman07 said:
Maybe it is for the hard cheeses but I was told to lightly hold the handle with everything because if you think about it if you were using the traditional type of grater you don't push it into the grater you just push down on the cheese, etc. So I have never tried to squeeze the handle.

You can grate carrots for salads or meat loaf, zucchini for breads, bread crumbs or crackers, cabbage for cole slaw, apple for pancakes, bacon for bacon bits, frozen butter over waffles or instead of drizzling melted butter, also potatoes for hashbrowns, and even crayons for you crafts like candle making.
I hope this has helped you.

Love your list, thank you!

I have had great luck with the micro for cheese. Only for about 8-10 seconds works for mozzarella. This works for cheddar too. And the softer the cheese lighter the sqeeze thing too.

hmmwell, that explains why most of the time i throw my PC cheese grater into the sink and dig for my old fashioned one.... i was freezing my cheeses sometimes, and most of the time, pressing the junk out of it--i have bad wrists, so it was killing me after about 2 seconds... i didn't know you just had to hold it closed, not squeeze it so much.. hmm, thank you SO much! :D maybe now i'll actually use my cheese grater!

-Amanda

You can also grate nuts. You can put your egg yolks in it when making deviled eggs. I learned that on this site once before and it works GREAT!

1. How do I clean my cheese grater?

To clean your cheese grater, first remove any large pieces of cheese with a utensil. Then, run it under hot water and use a soft brush or sponge to scrub away any remaining cheese residue. For tougher grime, you can use a mixture of hot water and dish soap. Rinse thoroughly and dry before storing.

2. Can I use my cheese grater for other foods besides cheese?

Yes, our cheese graters are versatile and can be used for grating other foods such as vegetables, chocolate, and even garlic. Just be sure to clean it thoroughly between uses to avoid cross-contamination.

3. How do I prevent my cheese from sticking to the grater?

To prevent cheese from sticking to the grater, make sure it is at room temperature before grating. You can also lightly coat the grater with cooking spray or rub a small amount of oil on the surface before grating.

4. What is the best way to grate soft cheeses?

Soft cheeses like mozzarella or feta can be difficult to grate on a traditional cheese grater. We recommend using a microplane grater or slicing the cheese instead of grating it.

5. Can I put my cheese grater in the dishwasher?

We do not recommend putting your cheese grater in the dishwasher as it can cause damage to the sharp edges and decrease the lifespan of the product. It is best to hand wash your grater with hot water and soap.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Windy City Pampered Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefmary
  • jessica_momof6
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
gilliandanielle
Replies