• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Checkerboard Insert Recipe: What Am I Missing?

In summary, the insert makes a checkerboard cake. You bake two cakes with different mixes and then assemble them. You can use the insert or bake the cake without it. The insert is plastic and would melt.
newbiePC
I'm trying to figure out this checkerboard insert. I've searched the web for a picture of a recipe made with this. But I can only find recipes without photos. Does anyone have a picture? Or can someone please explain how this works? To me it doesn't look like it would make a checkerboard, but more of concentric circles. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

I thought it was just going to make circles too. But once you bake it, it does make a checkerboard. If you follow the directions that come with it, it will come out correctly. I used a chocolate cake mix and white mix that I made pink and it came out in a black and pink checkerboard. It's really neat looking once you cut the first slice. I hope this helps.
Good Luck in making your first checkerboard cake ! :)

The trick is to make two layers the same (chocolate outside, white next ring, chocolate in center) and one layer the opposite (white out, chocolate inner ring, white center). When assembling put the one that's different in the center and when you cut it - the checkerboard appears. :cool:

I realize this is an old post, but I have a question. Does this only have one insert? It looks like it does in the catalog. If so, do you then have to bake each one at different times and does it change the cake batter at all to sit? I don't notice much of a difference in muffins, but not sure about cake mix. Thanks.

You don't bake with the insert in it. You remove the insert, wash, spray with nonstick spray, and use in the next pan. Repeat. When done with all 3 pans, then you bake. The insert is plastic and would melt. Make sure you spray the insert well each time you use it. It helps the batter not to stick and you get a better checkerboard effect.

I thought you baked with it. I don't have the set and someone did ask. I thought maybe it was made like some of the tv dinners that have plastic trays. Thanks so much and I am so glad that I asked. It makes complete sense now. Thanks, again

No problem. I was confused when I first got it. Of course if I would have read the instructions before jumping to conclusions, that would have helped:rolleyes:

At Easter time I used mine for the first time

I used chocolate cake with coconut cake

I actullay made mine with very thin layers (made two cakes - 3 layers each) and it was great looking, I need to start taking pictures of these things like everyone else does

Also when I was icing the cake, I put icing in between the layers and then just on top and people could see the different colors and they were amazed that there were two different kinds of cake

~

I have this but have never used it. Let me see if I have this right.

I put the insert in EACH cake pan. Pour my cake mix, then take the insert out and put it in another pan, pur my mix and do the same thing with the third one. And I think I remember reading that it takes TWO cakes mixes instead of one?

I have been meaning to use it but keep forgetting to get TWO mixes instead of one.

I always add 1/4 cup flour to each mix and fill the rings by using my 2 EAD it is so much easier.
If you use the Wilton food coloring paste, it won't make the batter runny and it is very vibrant when it bakes. They have many colors find them at your local Wal-Mart or craft store.

One of my friends bought this and did a St. Pat's day cake with white and green--she ssid it came out awesome! I can't wait to buy one to try this next year. I've actually done this kind of cake by hand by piping the batter into the pan--pain in the neck but the results are really pretty. The insert would make it so much easier. Hey, can we buy the insert by itself? Goodness knows I don't need another cake pan!:eek:

dwyerkim said:
One of my friends bought this and did a St. Pat's day cake with white and green--she ssid it came out awesome! I can't wait to buy one to try this next year. I've actually done this kind of cake by hand by piping the batter into the pan--pain in the neck but the results are really pretty. The insert would make it so much easier. Hey, can we buy the insert by itself? Goodness knows I don't need another cake pan!:eek:

You could check on the replacement part list and see if it is on there.

jrstephens said:
I have this but have never used it. Let me see if I have this right.

I put the insert in EACH cake pan. Pour my cake mix, then take the insert out and put it in another pan, pur my mix and do the same thing with the third one. And I think I remember reading that it takes TWO cakes mixes instead of one?

I have been meaning to use it but keep forgetting to get TWO mixes instead of one.
That's correct.

You use 2 cake mixes - 2 different colors/flavors. When putting batter in the pans, you put the insert into pan 1, fill all 3 areas (it'll look like the Target logo), take the insert out, wash it, spray it, and then use it in pan 2. Repeat for pan 3. You'll have 2 pans with color 1 in the center and outer ring, and 1 pan with color 2 in the center and outer ring.

chefann said:
That's correct.

You use 2 cake mixes - 2 different colors/flavors. When putting batter in the pans, you put the insert into pan 1, fill all 3 areas (it'll look like the Target logo), take the insert out, wash it, spray it, and then use it in pan 2. Repeat for pan 3. You'll have 2 pans with color 1 in the center and outer ring, and 1 pan with color 2 in the center and outer ring.

Thanks!! I need to get in the mood for a cake and get to baking!

I am so happy I found this thread! I totally would have baked it with the inserts... I guess that's what I get for being the kind of person to just throw away the use and care cards :eek: . I am so excited to try this! I think I am going to make a purple and green cake for my open house on Sunday! The only thing that bugs me is that I would want to frost each layer and you lose the checkerboard when you do that, I am assuming... hmmm...

chefann said:
That's correct.

OR - tint two white cake mixes with orange & yellow (leaving a small portion white) place white in center, yellow in the middle and orange in the outter. Bake as directed - use a simple icing glaze (orange flavoring maybe) & Viola' - when cut it looks like a giant piece of candy corn ... Just an idea I saw - and it really looks great.

I did the same thing with chocolate, green & red for watermelon slices....

Allison--you don't lose the checkerboard effect when you frost it. If you don't frost it and just stack it, you'll just see "rings" from the top. When you cut into it and pull out a slice is when you see the checkerboard. I guess if you put a really heavy layer of frosting between the layers you might lose the effect slightly but with a regular amount of frosting it will work fine.

Kim, I was just going to post that. Great minds... :D

A little frosting to hold the layers together won't ruin the look.

1. What is a checkerboard insert recipe?

A checkerboard insert recipe is a type of recipe that uses a special tool called a checkerboard insert to create a unique, layered design in dishes such as cakes or casseroles.

2. How does the checkerboard insert work?

The checkerboard insert is a plastic tool that is placed in the center of a round baking pan. The insert creates partitions and allows for alternating layers of different ingredients to be added, resulting in a checkerboard pattern when the dish is cut into.

3. Can I use any type of pan with the checkerboard insert?

The checkerboard insert is specifically designed to fit into round baking pans that are at least 9 inches in diameter. It is not recommended for use with other types of pans.

4. What ingredients can I use with the checkerboard insert recipe?

You can use a variety of ingredients with the checkerboard insert, such as cake batter, brownie batter, mashed potatoes, or different types of casseroles. Just make sure that the consistency of the ingredients is suitable for layering.

5. Are there any tips for using the checkerboard insert?

To ensure a clean and neat checkerboard pattern, it is important to use a thin layer of batter or filling in each section of the insert. It is also recommended to lightly coat the insert with cooking spray before use to prevent sticking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• CRuff
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
CRuff
  • esavvymom
  • Buy Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
candiejayne
  • Jolie_Paradoxe