1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Cheaper rates than the coference hotels

1. Chef Bobby

Chef Bobby Veteran Member Gold Member

Last year we stayed at the Essex Hotel which is on the other side of the street from the Chicago Hilton where the buses park. The rates average $126 a night for wave one for a standard double or king. I'll be there again this year.

Apr 16, 2009
  2. DessertDivaFL

DessertDivaFL Veteran Member Gold Member

This is my first time going to NC and I am going with directors and above in my cluster who have been there before. I suggested we get a hotel that is cheaper yet close to one of the designated hotels. They said it is much easier to stay at one of the PC selected hotels. We are staying at the Chicago Hilton which is fine because we are getting that 2 bed 2 bath room. Wahoo! Ladies need their bathroom space! LOL

Apr 16, 2009
  3. pkd09

pkd09 Future Director Silver Member

The first 3 years we did not stay at a conference hotel....this year we are. I looked at the website for the Essex and it looks really nice. About $40 cheaper per night.

Apr 16, 2009
  4. Chef Bobby

Two years ago I stayed at the Chicago Hilton and had two beds and two bathrooms to myself. I didn't need that much space, but it was my first time.

Unless you are wealthy, don't eat anything in the Hilton's dining room across from the check in counter.

Apr 16, 2009
  5. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Yeah, there are plenty of places within a few blocks to get something to eat.

Apr 16, 2009
  6. chefann

chefann Legend Member Gold Member

I stayed at the Essex a few years ago, and unless they have greatly cleaned up their act (literally), I would not recommend them. They are directly across the street from the Chicago Hilton, so it's convenient for the shuttles. But when we were there, several members of our party (several rooms full - we were a large team under an Exec) developed breathing problems from mold growing in the air conditioners, and one of my roommates was hurt when our showerhead fell off and bonked her on the head during a shower. There were also mysterious hairs that appeared in the showers and beds AFTER housekeeping went through and supposedly cleaned.

Apr 16, 2009
  7. raebates

Eeeeewwwwwww!

Apr 16, 2009
  8. nikked

nikked Senior Member Gold Member

My crew has always stayed at the Embassy Suites. Just about a block from the shuttles. Free FULL breakfast in the morning, free drinks and appetizers at night. One year, we fit 7 in our room...2 queen beds, 1 pull out for 2, and one on an airmatress! It worked well, and even though the room was a little more per person elsewhere, the perks more than made for it.

Apr 16, 2009
  9. DessertDivaFL

DessertDivaFL Veteran Member Gold Member

We aren't wealthy so thank you for the dining room tip. I am sure we can find lots of places to eat around the hotel. I went to Trip Advisor and searched for restaurants. There seems to be some good choices nearby.

Apr 17, 2009
  10. raebates

There are lots of places nearby. The Hotel will give you a list, too.

Last year we had restaurant issues. (Don't ask.) We finally wound up ordering a Chicago-style pizza delivered to the room.

Apr 17, 2009
  11. ChefGwendolyn

ChefGwendolyn Member Gold Member

I've never had a problem at the Essex. That's where I'm staying! I was able to get it for $99 Wed & Thurs, $149 Fri

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  12. pkd09

pkd09 Future Director Silver Member

If you get hungry for a realllllly good hamburger go to Boston Blackies. Soooo good. I believe it is near/on Ohio Street?

Apr 17, 2009
  13. ChefGwendolyn

ChefGwendolyn Member Gold Member

Yep and soooo good!

14. christinaspc

christinaspc Veteran Member Silver Member

I am thinking on going... I am starting to plan the trip. Finding my options. Looking for hotel and I found out they don't have a opening for arriving at the 8th and then the 9th through the 11th is fine.

Apr 27, 2009
  15. Chef Bobby

We found a nice sandwich shop on the street behind the Hilton.
    My first time to Conference, I got to the hotel after midnight and the hotel gave me a phone number to a place that would deliver a late night pizza. It was delicious.

Apr 27, 2009
  16. christinaspc

christinaspc Veteran Member Silver Member

Okay so I have talked with my hubby and he said of course you should go and have a good time so I am going to go to conference. :)

Apr 27, 2009
Have something to add?