• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Advice for Perfect Carrot Cake: Tips & Recipes

In summary, the recipe called for a 9x13 inch pan and I used our cake pans instead and layered it. The middle sunk so I had a big dip in the center that was very noticeable. I followed the recipe exactly, I'm wondering if using cake flour instead of all purpose would help...
ChefPaulaB
I made a carrot cake for my son's b-day this weekend and although it tasted wonderful (got the recipe from Allrecipes.com and it had rave reviews) it sunk in the middle. I made it totally following the directions, except it called for a 9x13 pan and I used our cake pans instead and layered it. I lowered the temp according to the use and care. But both cakes the middle sunk so I had a big dip in the center that was very noticeable. Does anyone have any advice to avoid this for the future? As I said, I followed the recipe exactly, I'm wondering if using cake flour instead of all purpose would help... I'm always trying to find the perfect carrot cake recipe, but so far, something always alludes me with the recipes that I try. Any thoughts and tips or new tried & true carrot cake recipes would be appreciated. Here is the recipe that I used...

Carrot Cake III

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour

Ready In: 2 Hours
Servings: 18
"I've tried many carrot cakes, and this is my favorite recipe. If you don't like pecans, feel free to leave them out."
Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

3 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
4. To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped pecans. Frost the cooled cake.

Not sure if this is why, but if the kids run through the kitchen, or something gets dropped in the kitchen, my cakes always fall in the middle. I warn everyone I'm cooking a cake and to not run through my kitchen LOL

Cakes usually fall if they aren't completely done or if they experience jarring during baking.

Did you open the oven during baking?

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Did you open the oven during baking?

Nope, I made sure not to do that... and I'm pretty sure that noone ran through (but 2 small kids, there aren't any guarantees) and I'm pretty sure that it was cooked enough... I don't know. I have to make another one for the other side of the family later this week, so we'll see if it goes better. I will make sure everyone stays out of the kitchen. Do you think it matters how long it is blended? The recipe doesn't really state how long to mix, so I just winged it, but I know some recipes say to mix on high for 2 minutes or whatever, so maybe that was the problem....

Generally speaking you want to make sure you mix ingredients just enough to get them smooth. The only exception is if ingredients are supposed to be creamed together like butter and sugar. Those you want to make sure you mix on high until they change color. Over-mixing ingredients can cause baked goods to be too dense. I don't think they'll fall with that, though. Don't know what else to tall ya, Paula.

Paula - I know you are an Allrecipes gal, like me...so I wanted to let you know that I've tried several of the carrot cakes on Allrecipes, and this one is my very favorite - and the favorite of my DH...and extended family! (I use a different cream cheese frosting recipe though!)

Awesome Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting - All Recipes

Thanks! I'll try that one for my next carrot cake (in a couple days!)!!!

What are some tips for making the perfect carrot cake?

1. Use freshly grated carrots: Grating your own carrots instead of using pre-shredded ones will give your carrot cake a more moist and flavorful texture.

2. Add some spices: Along with the traditional cinnamon, try adding some nutmeg or ginger to your carrot cake batter for an extra boost of flavor.

3. Don't overmix the batter: Overmixing can lead to a tough and dense cake. Mix just until all the ingredients are well combined.

4. Use buttermilk: Substitute some of the milk in your recipe with buttermilk for a more tender and flavorful cake.

5. Let it cool completely before frosting: It's important to let your carrot cake cool completely before adding frosting to prevent it from melting or sliding off.

What type of frosting is best for carrot cake?

Cream cheese frosting is the most popular choice for carrot cake. Its tangy flavor pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the cake. You can also try a whipped cream cheese frosting for a lighter option.

Can I make a carrot cake without nuts?

Yes, you can definitely make a carrot cake without nuts. Simply omit them from the recipe or substitute with chopped dried fruits, such as raisins or cranberries, if desired.

How do I prevent my carrot cake from sinking in the middle?

To prevent your carrot cake from sinking in the middle, make sure to properly measure your ingredients and use the correct pan size. You can also try reducing the oven temperature and baking the cake for a longer time to ensure it cooks evenly.

Can I freeze carrot cake?

Yes, you can freeze carrot cake. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil before placing it in the freezer. When ready to eat, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and bring it to room temperature before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
Admin Greg