• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Caramel Banana Ravioli: Tips for Perfect Dough and Sauce

In summary, the conversation revolved around a recipe for delicious banana and caramel pastries. While many enjoyed the end result, some had issues with the sticky dough and difficulty cutting with a pastry cutter. Suggestions were made to use different dough, such as phyllo or individual triangle shapes, and to drizzle with chocolate instead of caramel. Other tips included heating the caramel sauce and keeping the dough cold.
frozenchef
Gold Member
Hey folks - made these tonight and they are AMAZING!

However, the dough got a tad sticky when adding the top layer and the pastry cutter kept getting stuck it was so sticky. Not sure if it had anything to do with using the crescent rolls with seams even though it was all pinched together.

My other issue was the caramel sauce - used the measure-all, ziploc and twixit trick, but it didn't come out looking as fancy as I would have liked.

Any helpful tips on this? I'd love to do it at a show, just feel like it doesn't come out as "smooth" and pretty as I'd like.

Guess, I'll just have to keep testing out the recipe :)

Did you heat the sauce a little? It's pretty thick. I plan to make these before too awfully long, but I'm going to use Kraft Caramel Bits instead of cutting caramels in half.

Last edited:
Yup - I had the sauce in the fridge - so I did it for 15 seconds in the microwave and then another 15 seconds - perfect temp and worked well in the ziploc, but just probably should have thought of a design to drizzle it on ahead of time to make it look prettier. :)

Maybe you could just drizzle it on with a spoon? I am going to make this asap! They look amazing!

I just made these last night. DH and I decided not to drizzle them w/ the caramel sauce. We were tempted to drizzle chocolate over them though. :DThey tasted really good. Better when they are really warm, because when they cool, the caramel candy starts to harden again.I wouldn't do it for a demo because it was too easy and didn't show enough tools. But it would be a super fast dessert to whip together. The only problem I had was that the pastry cutter wheel didn't seem large enough. Because the filled dough was kind of high with the banana and caramel on there, the screw to the wheel rubbed against the dough and nicks it a little. It was fine, just not perfect. ;) I am tempted to stretch the dough just a tiny bit so that there can be bigger space around each of them and then hopefully the pastry cutter wheel would go through the rows better.

Another option, even though it would make a lesser quantity, is to take the crescent roll dough WITH the seams and make individual triangle shaped ravioli. But, they'd be cute and you wouldn't have the pastry cutter issue. Then, you could crimp the edges with a fork.

leftymac said:
Another option, even though it would make a lesser quantity, is to take the crescent roll dough WITH the seams and make individual triangle shaped ravioli. But, they'd be cute and you wouldn't have the pastry cutter issue. Then, you could crimp the edges with a fork.

Good thinking. I couldn't find the non-seamed ones at the store last night so I had to get the regular ones. Though maybe I could make two out of each triangle?

I don't see why not!

leftymac said:
I don't see why not!

I guess I'll have to let you all know how it turns out! I'm trying out 5 different recipes for a party I'm having on Friday!

I had the same issue with the pastry cutter - the dough was super sticky at that point too.These reheat really well on the Small Bar Pan in the microwave too - 15 seconds does it :)It might be yummy just to drizzle it with Hershey's :)

raebates said:
Did you heat the sauce a little? It's pretty thick. I plan to make these before too awfully long, but I'm going to use Kraft Caramel Bits instead of cutting caramels in half.

The recipe calls for chocolate covered carmels - rolos - so guess you could do mini choco chips and carmel bits if you wanted....

I found that the pastry cutter didnt get through the top layer either, so I used the crinkle cutter. I like the idea of individual ones tho... have to try that next.

Def not a show demo tho!

I made them as well and they were a big hit. I am wondering if Phyllo dough would be better instead of crescent roll. I found the crescent rolls to be very heavy and hard to cut with pastry cutter too.

frozenchef said:
I had the same issue with the pastry cutter - the dough was super sticky at that point too.

These reheat really well on the Small Bar Pan in the microwave too - 15 seconds does it :)

It might be yummy just to drizzle it with Hershey's :)

I didn't really notice the dough getting sticky. Did you have the dough out for a long time? I try to keep the dough in the fridge until right when I need it. So the second package of dough was still in the fridge until I was all done getting the bananas and caramel pieces in place. KWIM? Not sure if you did that as well, but just thought I'd share that tip. ;)

chefcharity said:
The recipe calls for chocolate covered carmels - rolos - so guess you could do mini choco chips and carmel bits if you wanted....

I found that the pastry cutter didnt get through the top layer either, so I used the crinkle cutter. I like the idea of individual ones tho... have to try that next.

Def not a show demo tho!

That's a great idea to use the crinkle cutter! Did it seal the edges okay, or did you go over the edges with a fork or something?

amybee said:
I made them as well and they were a big hit. I am wondering if Phyllo dough would be better instead of crescent roll. I found the crescent rolls to be very heavy and hard to cut with pastry cutter too.

I was wondering that, too. They might look a little more fancy. It would be more fussy of a recipe, though, and you'd have to brush the layers with butter. Or do you mean the puff pastry, thicker sheet type of dough?

Interesting ideas, I'll have to experiment a little more. I had to run to the store last night to the pharmacy. While I was waiting, I just couldn't resist the urge to go buy more ingredients so I can make these again. My kids LOVED them and we all just devoured them so fast. :love: They were so disappointed when they were all gone. ;)

amybee said:

I think Phyllo dough would be really hard to keep sealed.

But I would consider using a puff pastry dough - and that doesn't get as sticky as the crescent roll dough - and I think could be prettier in the end.

The crinkle cutter sealed it ok.. I went over some of the edges again with the pastry cutter (it was already dirty anyhow)... with so much stuff in that little ravioli, i need to touch up some of the edges because stuff was popping out!

For some reason when I read it I thought it was just caramels. That's why I've learned to double-check everything. LOL!

The crinkle cutter idea is great - darn, guess I have to make them again to test that out :)I kept the dough in the fridge until the last second possible as well - still super sticky - will try to find the dough with no seams next time too.

I put my dough in the freezer before I used it- maybe 5 minutes and left the second one in the freezer until I was ready for it. Seemed to work pretty well. I could not find the Recipe Creation version with no seams but I will get our local Publix to order it for me. I think that would so much easier. They were very rich but yummy.

What ingredients do I need to make Delicious Caramel Banana Ravioli?

To make Delicious Caramel Banana Ravioli, you will need:-1 package wonton wrappers-2 ripe bananas-¼ cup caramel sauce-2 tablespoons melted butter-2 tablespoons brown sugar-1 teaspoon cinnamon-1 teaspoon vanilla extract-Salt to taste

How do I make the dough for the ravioli?

To make the dough for the ravioli, you will need to lay out the wonton wrappers on a flat surface. In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Brush this mixture onto the wonton wrappers, making sure to cover the entire surface. Place a dollop of caramel sauce onto each wrapper, followed by a slice of banana. Fold the wrapper in half and press the edges to seal. Repeat with the remaining wrappers.

What is the best way to cook the ravioli?

The best way to cook the ravioli is to heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the ravioli and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy. You can also bake the ravioli in the oven at 375°F for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through.

What is a good substitute for wonton wrappers?

If you can't find wonton wrappers, you can use egg roll wrappers or homemade pasta dough instead. Just be sure to roll out the dough thinly and cut into square or circle shapes to use as the ravioli wrappers.

Can I make the ravioli ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the ravioli ahead of time and store them in the fridge for a few hours before cooking. Just be sure to cover them with a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying out. You can also freeze the ravioli for up to 1 month, just make sure to thaw them before cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sassypip
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
Replies