• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Can't Lose a Pound: Struggling with Diet and Exercise!

In summary, Rhonda's story is that she has been dieting faithfully for two weeks and hasn't lost a pound. She's been doing aerobic exercise every day, but she's not losing weight. Her blood sugar is fantastic, but she's struggling because she's not eating enough. She's been to a Curves, and her order is almost ready, but she's not sure if she'll be able to stick with it.
pampchefrhondab
I know some of you can probably relate to my story! I've been dieting faithfully for 2 weeks and haven't lost a pound!!

I've been having about 1,100 calories a day and have done aerobic exercise every day! I've worked my way up to 1 hour a day! I just can't beleive I haven't lost a pound! I'm so sad:eek:!!

I know this isn't the most important thing, but if you could say a little prayer for me I would appreciate it! If I don't lost a pound or more in the next 2 weeks I'll be making an appointment with my Dr.!

On a good note, my blood sugar is fantastic! My husband is diabetic so I keep track of my blood sugar. It was starting to get higher then I wanted which is why I was even more motivated to start my diet. At least this is keeping me encouraged to keep at it!

Thanks for listening (reading) to me:p!

Your body is just adjusting to the decreased calories...you are actually starving yourself because you are doing Aerobics and cutting the fuel. You need to eat more! Trust me. I've been doing WW for YEARS. Every few months, they say this- you can't expect your car to go 80 miles an hour every day but not give it gasoline! Your body requires more fuel to sustain the increased activity. Because you've cut the calories significantly, your body thinks it is starving and is conserving every ounce of stored fats it has to sustain that activity. Increase your calories a bit- not with junk or high carbs. Choose the RIGHT fuel- lots of veggies/fruit, good proteins, at least 2 dairy servings, lots of water, and whole grains. Don't skip meals either!Keep going. It will catch up if you do things the healthy way. If you aren't sure, join a WW group- they are fantastic for support and teaching you the right ways to lose weight and get healthy- as a way of LIFE, not just a diet.

esavvymom said:
Your body is just adjusting to the decreased calories...you are actually starving yourself becaue you are doing Aerobics and cutting the fuel. You need to eat more!

that was my first thought.

Oh...and realistic and HEALTHY weight loss expectations- is 0.5 to 2.0lbs per week. But ANY loss is great in the process. You can't climb a mountain all at once...one step at a time.(Shows like Biggest Loser don't help much- since they don't show the FOOD aspect and how it is so key to the loss process too.)

Hi Rhonda,
We met at 2006 Nat'l, and you shared some of your loot with me. I think of you every time I make a Cheesecake!
Is there a Curves in your area? I have been going to mine for five years, tomorrow.
They tell us that when we begin to exercise we will not notice immediate weight loss because the muscles are getting stronger and have weight that has been redistributed
from your body mass. You might want to consider Curves. They do have a separate weight loss component (classes aside from using the weight resistance exercise). They also have some healthy powders for meal substitutes (Shakes for breakfast or lunch). I have had an order in at my Curves for over a month. They must be popular that they are out of them almost as quickly as the supply comes in.

Don't give up. I will keep you company. I need to lose at least ten pounds before I see my Primary for a six month follow-up from my Annual. He told me that I would have diabetes next if I did not get some weight off. I've made a concerted effort to get to Curves three times a week, for the last three weeks. Hope to get strong enough to do more walking. Curves is only one mile from home but I save my energy for when I am there, and drive over so I can do errands of the way home.

I actually lost 75 pounds in 8 months following the "Body for Life" system. It's really common sense...eat 6 small meals a day (not always a "meal", sometimes a snack type of meal), one cheat day and weight/aerobics alternate 6 days a week for no longer than 45 minutes.If you are not eating to fuel your body, your body will shut down it's calorie usage and you will not see results.Ok, that being said, I back slid HUGELY and anyone who knows me knows that I am a big yo-yoer....went from a size 20 to a 6 in those 8 months, then (over 3 years) back to a 16. I KNOW that the BFL system works and when I get back into the groove, it's the ONLY way I will do it.Keep up the great work, but do it in a way that you can continue doing it for the rest of your life!

i'm surprised you haven't passed out - all that exercise and so little fuel! eat up girl...but eat the good stuff - lean protein, whole grains, lots of fruit and veggies...and have a dark chocolate dove square so you don't lose your mind :)

i wish i could be faithful on a diet :( i just don't have the self discipline for that. before i got married last year i followed Weight watchers for 3 months and lost 15 pounds!! but after the wedding was over...i have now gained 12 of those pounds back. i just can't seem to do it...for instance here i sit eating 'better than sex' cake...my 3rd piece today i just can't stop eating....maybe we should have a check in accountability thread!!! maybe that would work lol or maybe i will be getting my rump back to WW asap come monday!
good luck with your diet and i too agree if you have been working out and not eating enough your body is going into starvation mode. eat more healthy foods veggies, fruits and dairy. good luck!!!

You need to do what others have said, you need to eat, you are starving yourself, especially with all the aerobics. Why 1100 cal?? If you've been eatting more than you should, I've been told keep track and it you ate say 2500 cal cut back to 1800 and maintain for few weeks, then cut back to 1500 and finally back to 1200.

I'd love more info on the Body for Life program that someone mentioned above. Is that a book/tape?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

LOL this is funny since I just talked to my old personal trainer today! He has always told me that if you are stationary and your ideal weight is 160, and you are over that weight, then you calorie count should be 1600. However, when you increase your activity you should increase it by 250 calories, for every 1 hour of aerobic exercise. This does not mean go out and get a scoop of frozen yogurt. What it does mean is an increase in lean protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies!

I have been in this same boat for sometime and finally picked up the phone to call him! I completely fell off the wagon when I left his program, (Not by choice, I moved) to the tune of 100 lbs. before that I had lost around 70 lbs.

After talking with him today I am getting my butt and my body in gear! I am too good to be like this!

Thanks for all the tips - I do think I need to get more fruit and vegetables in my diet. Not that I don't have any though. I do think I'm gaining muscle which I know does weigh more then fat and should boost my weight loss in the future. I'm not a big eater to begin with - just bad metabolism and sometimes not the right foods. I do like sweets which are my biggest downfall, but it's not like I ate those every day. Here is an example of what I'm eating now:

Breakfast - 1 egg, small bowl of cereal (whole grain) or oatmeal w/skim milk.

Snack - Fruit - Banana, apple, grapefruit, etc.

Lunch - whole wheat wrap w/Italian Seasoning (yummy) only 1/2 of one (45 cal.), w/four deli thin slices of turkey and a little cheese w/lettuce - no dressings can't stand them. A few baked wheat thins and some whipped yogurt.

Snack - Fruit or Fiber One bar

Dinner - Usually small portion of meat (chicken, beef, fish, pork) with vegetable (green beans, brussel sprouts, salad, etc. (no corn). Rice or potato (small amount).

I don't snack after dinner.

I try to keep each meal around 300-400 calories. I drink a lot of water. I start the morning with a large glass and drink at least half before I exercise, finish it during exercise and then drink another one after before I go to work. I drink at least 3 glasses while at work and another 1-2 after work. I do drink it w/fresh lemon juice squeezed in it - no sugar!

I'm going to start a diary of what I eat and my exercise and take it to my Dr. if I don't start losing soon. I'm also going to measure my inches because I do think I'm losing inches.

My blood sugar was running in the 140's in the morning which is considered diabetic. Now I'm below 100 most days and haven't been above 110 so I know I'm doing my body good. I've also not been above 140 2 hours after meals and most days not above 110 (only at 140 two days). It's what's keeping me going! I do not want to be diagnosed as a diabetic.

Unfortunately bad metabolism runs in my family. I and my 2 sisters all have the problem and so does my 19 year old daughter.

My workouts are Walk At Home w/Leslie Sansone. She is great! I want to start adding weight lifting in a few days a week. We have a gym at my work - I'm just not sure how to do the weights. I think I'll start reading up on it.

We do have a Curves about 15 miles away Rita, but I just wouldn't have the time to get there. The in home exercise is the best for me plus a lot cheaper. My daughter is doing the workouts with me a few days a week which really helps me stay motivated!

My next step will be Weight Watchers. I saw they are having 1 free month right now. I don't know if we have a group here in my town anymore, but I may just sign up for the on-line group.

Thanks everyone for all your support. I knew others would know how it feels.

It is so neat that I can say I have met two of you, in person, who have replied to this thread; Rhonda and Lisa. Isn't PC great, that it has brought us face to face?

I am a drop-out from one of the best programs I have ever participated in. It was known as Food Addicts in Recovery. It is one of the 12 step programs. That means you have a sponsor you talk with on a daily basis when you first get started. You plan your menu for the day, and the next day report on your success. That daily confession of my success had a positive effect on my efforts. It made me think twice before putting the "forbiddens" into my mouth. For me it was anything with white sugar and white flour. When I thought of it as just two things I needed to avoid, rather than listing the hundreds of things either of them are in, it was tolerable. I did take off 50 lbs. which was about 2 lbs. per week, and was going to Curves at least 3 times a week.

The flip side of the story is that I broke my abstinence from white sugar and white flour when I attended my nieces' wedding and was staying in the home of my brother. That was in Oct. 2006, and I have regained all of my loss plus.

I'll weigh in today at Curves, and get a new start today. Anyone willing to join me?

Last edited:
Rhonda: I highly recommend the website CalorieKing - Diet and weight loss. Calorie Counter and more. It has a database with 30,000 different foods and excercises, lots of online support (forums and such) and is a very healthy way to go about this. I've been on it for about a year, and it really opened my eyes. I am doing aerobics/weight lifting 6 days a week for an hour and eating about 1600 calories a day, and losing about 1-2 lbs. per week, I am not hungry and it keeps me accountable to have to log in what I eat. It was a real eye opener.

Rita - I'm in on support!

Nancy - I'm going to check this out - Thank you soooo much!!

I just love this group! I knew I could get support from others in my position!

Thanks again!

I just want to share what I've learned in the last couple months and that has helped me drop weight while still eating well.

The "plan" produced by my fitness center calls for 6 small meals a day. 6 meals contain protiens no larger than the size of your palm and no thicker than your palm. 5 meals contain a carb that is no larger than the size of your fits. Each meal before and after a work out should contain both a carb and a protien since you need both to help you excersize and to help you regain what you lost while you did. You should also drink 80 oz of water a day. That is plain water and doesn't count the water during your work out. Most veggies are considered "free" and you should have at least 3 servings a day. I have been doing this since Memorial Day along with 3 days of cardio and 3 days of reistance bands a week. They say you should loose only 1-2 lbs a week as that is healthy for you. I have lost 13 lbs since Memorial Day (the first 10 week program I lost 11 - haven't been as good since the 10 weeks is up) and almost 10" in the first week.

Eating the smaller meals a day helps so that you are not hungry between meals. I very rarely find myself hungry and if I do I pick up a veggie to eat. I also don't count the calories but watch out for "enriched" flour and high frutose corn syrup in everything I eat. They also recommend to watch the sugar count, make sure that it's less than half the carbs listed for a serving.

It is very true that if you don't eat enough your body will store up fat because it thinks it isn't going to get any food...strange how our bodies naturally kick in to survival. My daughter went through this and I told her over and over that she had to eat. Now she is eating more and has lost 30 pounds over the summer. I am so proud of her. She chooses healthy food and it has done wonders for her. Curves is a good program. I know lots of people who do it. However, a doctor told me that if you are an active person, you need more than what curves gives you as far as exercise. If you don't get to be active because of your job or whatever, he says curves is a great start. There are so many exercise and weight loss plans out there that it is hard to choose. Some work wonderful for this person but do nothing for this person. I still believe the best program is to eat healthy and don't starve yourselve...don't deprive yourself of sweets, just eat them in moderation...eat 5 or 6 small meals instead of 3 large meals...don't skip breakfast, even if its a granola bar and milk or juice it is better than skipping altogether...don't eat late at night. Remember when people worked hard and ate what they wanted and didn't have weight issues? We don't do that anymore...lol I think you can eat whatever you want as long as its in moderation and you get some exercise...too much of anything is not good...even veggies...you have to have variety.

pampchefrhondab said:
I know some of you can probably relate to my story! I've been dieting faithfully for 2 weeks and haven't lost a pound!!

I've been having about 1,100 calories a day and have done aerobic exercise every day! I've worked my way up to 1 hour a day! I just can't beleive I haven't lost a pound! I'm so sad:eek:!!

I know this isn't the most important thing, but if you could say a little prayer for me I would appreciate it! If I don't lost a pound or more in the next 2 weeks I'll be making an appointment with my Dr.!

On a good note, my blood sugar is fantastic! My husband is diabetic so I keep track of my blood sugar. It was starting to get higher then I wanted which is why I was even more motivated to start my diet. At least this is keeping me encouraged to keep at it!

Thanks for listening (reading) to me:p!

I am Right there with you Rhonda! I started a consistent back to the gym exercise regimen at the start of the summer and Have not lost any lbs, maybe inches though. Due to lack of eating enough... I think? Or my muscle gain has increased? I feel your pain but keep up the good work!

I agree with the others... I lost 80lbs a year ago and 1100 calories plus working out is sending your body into starvation mode. I don't know how you can do 1100 without the exercising. I just told the Dr on Monday at a checkup that if I cut to 1200 I am miserable as I feel like I am starving. It may be mental but its just too low for me when I know I have to work out to lose. Jillian Michaes from The BL has a great theory and it works (her first book is phenomenal) but figure out how many calories you need to eat per week based upon your workouts and your goals. Then differ the calories each day and it keeps your body guessing and at the top of its game. One day be 1400 cals, 1 day 1100, third day 1200, third day 1300, back to 1100 etc and the avg should come to X and your total in vs out for the week is Y. Her book explains it in VERY simple terms...if you have a book store, go look at her formula and just keep it in mind as a guide. Learn to eat for your body type too! Not all of us burn the same way. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome hence I don't process carbs/sugar well and it turns to fat very easily hence a low cal diet that has starches in it will lead to failure for me (and starches can include items like peas/corn/bananas etc that you think are healthy). Other body types do well on it and not on higher protein. Michael Thurmond and Jillian Michaels explain that concept very well and again - they are both right - it works. You will feel your best, and be at your best performance if you eat for your body type.

Bottom line is it comes to calories in vs calories out but those calories in need to be the right 'fuel' to keep the car running at top performance. (JM also preaches organic but most of the world cannot afford to eat organic). Best wishes! I always say I can do anything I set my mind to except for stick to a diet - its a mountain to climb but I hear the scenery at the top is worth the effort!

1. Why can't I seem to lose weight even though I'm dieting and exercising?

Losing weight is a complex process and there can be multiple reasons why you may not be seeing results. It's important to assess your diet and exercise routine to ensure you are consuming a balanced, nutritious diet and engaging in regular physical activity. Other factors such as genetics, hormones, and underlying health issues may also play a role in weight loss.

2. How long does it typically take to see results from diet and exercise?

The time it takes to see results from diet and exercise varies for each individual. Generally, it's recommended to aim for a gradual and sustainable weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week. However, the rate of weight loss can also depend on factors like starting weight, body composition, and overall health.

3. Can I still lose weight if I have a slow metabolism?

While a slower metabolism may make it more challenging to lose weight, it is still possible. The key is to focus on building lean muscle mass through strength training and maintaining a caloric deficit through a healthy diet. This can help boost your metabolism and aid in weight loss.

4. How important is it to track calories while trying to lose weight?

Calorie tracking can be a helpful tool for weight loss, as it allows you to monitor your food intake and make adjustments as needed. However, it's not the only factor to consider. The quality of your diet, portion sizes, and overall nutrient intake also play a significant role in weight loss.

5. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to lose weight?

Some common mistakes people make when trying to lose weight include drastically cutting calories, not getting enough protein, not incorporating strength training, and relying too heavily on fad diets or quick fixes. It's important to focus on a well-rounded approach to weight loss that includes a balanced diet, regular physical activity, and sustainable lifestyle changes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pc_jessica
Replies
Views
rennea
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
heat123