• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Tips for Making Candy Cane Brownie Lollipops Successfully?

In summary, a group of people had difficulty making chocolates with thick bark and rolling them in sprinkles. Suggestions included using the small scoop, sucker sticks instead of candy, adding shortening to the bark when melting it, using pretzel sticks, and using a pastry mat. It was also mentioned that dipping chocolate is a trial and error process and that candy canes would work well for lollipops with the small scoop once they are available.
Jenni
I have a show on the 24th and am suppose to be making them.... We did them at our cluster meeting last night and it was not good. The bark was so thick they were hard to coat. Took forever to firm up the chocolate cuz it was thick. We all also had a hard time rolling these items in sprinkles

Also the med scoop was kinda to big anyone tried this yet with the small scoop and seen better results?

Anyone had any success with this recipe??? I would love some tips :)

I know someone who made them with the small scoop (and sucker sticks instead of the candy). She said they were a perfect size. She also mentioned that you need to follow the instructions exactly, as far as the cooling time, etc., and suggested to start scooping from the center of the pan so that the firmer edges are avoided.

Great tip Ann thanks... anyone got anything on thinning out the chocolate some?

Try adding a little shortening, 1-2 tsps, to the bark when you melt it. That may thin it out enough. P

I tried them and ended up using a different chocolate. I also just sprinkled the spinkles and other toppings over top them when they were still wet. I did them with the small scoop and used lollipop sticks. I agree to not use the ends. It does not get soft like the recipe says.

Sounds like your bark wasn't melted ENOUGH at your meeting. As it cools, it gets thicker and harder to work with.

Dipping chocolates is a trial and error process. Too hot and it's way too thin...as it gets too cool it gets way too thick. Definately gets better with practice and getting a "feel" for the consistancy of the chocolate.

I made these for my show on friday night. They were good. I used the small scoop and sucker sticks. I didn't dip mine I used a spoon and dripped it over them and put the sprinkles on them while wet.They turned out very cute. I used halloween sprinkles and put them in individual halloween cellophane bags. My daughter teaches special ed and she is going to make these for her kids for a treat for halloween.
someone suggested using pretzel sticks.

We made these at our cluster meeting last night and my director got those individual peppermint sticks from Cracker Barrel and they were too thick. Some of them kept falling over. I think the sucker sticks with the small scoop would have been perfect. I'm really glad we made them there, b/c you learn what you shouldn't do at shows. The peppermint sticks did not work very well, IMHO!!

Once candy canes are available, I'd bet that the small ones would work well for lollipops made with the small scoop.

raebates said:
Once candy canes are available, I'd bet that the small ones would work well for lollipops made with the small scoop.

Yep, we concluded that too, but that was all she could find. I forgot to tell her about the pretzel idea, I bet those would work better than the peppermint sticks, b/c they aren't as heavy. Regardless of how they looked, they tasted DIVINE!!!! I wanted to eat about 10 of them!!!

Does anyone have the recipes typed up? I want to put the recipes for the new desserts on my website, but can't copy and past the pdf file! Thanks!

I think this one is on cc under the "homemade for the holidays" section. But maybe it is only as a pdf...

Update~Ok~ I took the advice I had read and made them. They were picture perfect. I am so proud! THANKS :chef:

A couple of things I did~

I used small scoop instead of med/ then hand rolled for smoothness
I added 2 tsp oil to chocolate then melted
I dropped about 4 brownie bites in chocolate covered them... then fished them out with the white tool that came with the coating trays
I dropped them on to parchment and stuck them with a lollipop stick- sprinkled (didn't roll) let harden and then moved to cupcake liner.

They were so much better then the crazy mess we made at our cluster meeting!

Very interesting...now I want to try them, but I've got list so they will have to wait. Maybe this weekend...;)

I love using the pastry mat when doing chocolates. This would be another great product to show with this recipe. It makes it so easy to let them dry and it's easy to clean. No more wasting wax paper.

wadesgirl said:
I love using the pastry mat when doing chocolates. This would be another great product to show with this recipe. It makes it so easy to let them dry and it's easy to clean. No more wasting wax paper.
ooooh I like... I won one last month! So the chocolates will just pop off? How cool is that....

Last edited:
I prefer the Wilton colored candy melts when dipping things and they come in many colors

We tried this at our last meeting and the brownies were cooled too long so they would not stay togther in a ball! :( Note to self, do not over cool! :)

wadesgirl said:

What a great idea!!! Thanks for sharing.

Here's the recipeStraight off the PDF:

Candy Cane Brownie Lollipops

These irresistible treats make adorable hostess gifts or take-home goodies.

Ingredients

1 pkg (18-21 oz) fudge brownie mix (plus ingredients to make brownies)
24 candy canes
10 oz chocolate-flavored almond bark
Additional decorations such as red jimmies (optional)

1. Line Medium Sheet Pan with a 13-in. piece of Parchment Paper; lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions; pour batter into pan. Bake 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Remove from oven to Stackable Cooling
Rack; cool 20 minutes or until still slightly warm.

2. Meanwhile, cut straight ends of candy canes off to form 4½-in. sticks using Utility Knife. Place candy cane tops into resealable plastic bag and crush using flat side of Meat Tenderizer; set aside.

3. Using Medium Scoop, scoop brownie into 24 rounded scoops, packing brownie into scoop using hands. (Entire brownie will be used.) Roll brownie scoops into smooth balls. Insert candy cane sticks into centers of balls, mounding brownie around each stick.

4. Place almond bark into Small Batter Bowl; microwave according to package directions until smooth. Spoon melted bark evenly over each brownie ball, turning to coat completely. Allow excess bark to drip off. Dip into reserved crushed candy canes or jimmies and stand upright on a piece of Parchment Paper. Repeat with remaining almond bark, lollipops and crushed candy. Let stand until set. Place into miniature cupcake liners.

Yield: 24 servings
Nutrients per serving (1 lollipop, excluding optional ingredient): Calories 260, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 4 g,
Cholesterol 20 mg, Carbohydrate 40 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 75 mg, Fiber 1 g

Cook’s Tips: Although the edges of the brownies are crusty, they don’t need to be discarded. Simply scoop the edges along with the center, and they’ll soften as they stand.

If desired, lollipop sticks or stick candies can be substituted for the candy canes.
Wrap lollipops in cellophane, tie with ribbon and use as table décor, place cards or take-home goodies for a special holiday touch.

From The Pampered Chef® Festive Holiday Desserts Recipe Collection.
©The Pampered Chef, Ltd., 2008
Homemade for the Holidays

Jenni said:
ooooh I like... I won one last month! So the chocolates will just pop off? How cool is that....
They peel off wonderfully! I've made the oreo truffles on here with it. My favorite is using ritz crackers sandwiches filled with peanut butter and dipped in chocolate almond bark. The pastry mat works wonders with it! I sell a lot of them telling people they can do chocolates with them!

We made them at our cluster meeting last week, they were a mess. No candy canes, so they used pretzel rods. I brought pretzel sticks (little ones) that probably would have worked better. I think that the brownies were too cool and we had too many consultants in the kitchen, if you know what I mean. Everyone had an opinion and none of them worked! I want to try them with my kids with all the suggestions here. Thanks everyone.

We made them for an Open House and found the medium scoop was kind of big, although we still got over 24 pops. We also sprinkled the crushed candy canes on top instead of rolling.

I'm making these for Hallowe'en for my daughter's class, using the Wilton Orange coloured candy melts and Hallowe'en coloured sprinkles (and sucker sticks). Will use Hallowe'en ribbon to tie up with too.

They were cute, and we also put the recipe on the brownie pops, printed onto the back of Holiday scrap paper. Trim the paper to 8 1/2" x 11" and it'll fit into your printer no problemo! Will change the colours to orange and print on hallowe'en paper (with my info included) in case any make it home to Mom!:thumbup:

Attachments

• Candy Cane Brownie Lollipops 6.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 558
muffetts said:
We made them for an Open House and found the medium scoop was kind of big, although we still got over 24 pops. We also sprinkled the crushed candy canes on top instead of rolling.

I'm making these for Hallowe'en for my daughter's class, using the Wilton Orange coloured candy melts and Hallowe'en coloured sprinkles (and sucker sticks). Will use Hallowe'en ribbon to tie up with too.

They were cute, and we also put the recipe on the brownie pops, printed onto the back of Holiday scrap paper. Trim the paper to 8 1/2" x 11" and it'll fit into your printer no problemo! Will change the colours to orange and print on hallowe'en paper (with my info included) in case any make it home to Mom!:thumbup:

Awesome, thank you!!!!:)

Last edited:
I made these for a Halloween bake sale, and used Pretzel Dipping Sticks. They are bigger than the little sticks, but not as big as the rods.Robin

A consultant made these at our last cluster meeting and used pretzel sticks and Pirouettes instead of candy canes, they were beautiful and yummy!

ok, so I attempted to make these, they are very cute and yummy, HOWEVER... I don't know if it would be a good demo. Not very easy or neat. Maybe I need to do it a few more times to master it, but it tends to be too time comsuming for a demo?? thoughts?
I used the lollipop sticks and halloween sprinkles, wrapped them in cellophane and a ribbone, very cute and nice appearance, just don't care about making them :(

I made these tonight but didn't fuss too much. If my host for Wednesday picks these, I am going to bring the small scoop (the medium too for backup).

Even though I read this thread, I didn't really absorb what was on here!! Now I do! Appreciate the tips everyone!

We did these at our meeting and my Director tried it with that squeezable chocolate that you use over ice cream - "magic shell" or something like that. She sprinkled the sprinkles over instead of rolling and then put them in a paper baking cup. We put them in the freezer for a short time and it worked great. We used lollipop sticks because we couldn't find any candy canes yet.

I tried these this weekend and all I can say is: Arrrggggghhhh!!!:eek::eek:

What a mess and what a appointment. I am not wholly giving up on them because they are pretty cool, but not as enthusiastic was before.

I followed the recipe almost exactly.

I had a hard time with the sticks though. I used the small scoop and found that after I scooped it out I had to form the ball using my hands by pressing the brownie into a ball. That was the only way I could get it to form a ball.

The problem came when it was time to cover them. I used white almond bark (with powdered orange food dye, I wanted them to look like little pumpkins).
I tried to dip them with the stick in but found that they would fall off.

And then when I tried just dropping them in the bark and sticking the sticks in they would break the brownie balls apart.

KimoMakano said:
I tried these this weekend and all I can say is: Arrrggggghhhh!!!:eek::eek:

What a mess and what a appointment. I am not wholly giving up on them because they are pretty cool, but not as enthusiastic was before.

I followed the recipe almost exactly.

I had a hard time with the sticks though. I used the small scoop and found that after I scooped it out I had to form the ball using my hands by pressing the brownie into a ball. That was the only way I could get it to form a ball.

The problem came when it was time to cover them. I used white almond bark (with powdered orange food dye, I wanted them to look like little pumpkins).
I tried to dip them with the stick in but found that they would fall off.

And then when I tried just dropping them in the bark and sticking the sticks in they would break the brownie balls apart.

Some of mine fell off too, so I used a spoon and drizzled the chocolate on
(as suggested in this thread) I also put the sprinkles on myself vs rolling them in the sprinkle mix. I did put mine in a mini muffin cupliner and wrapped in cellophane with a ribbon. Very cute, just time consuming. I am wondering if we could make the brownies in the mini muffin pan then just put them out and mold them in balls??? thoughts anyone??

tnmimi said:
I made these for my show on friday night. They were good. I used the small scoop and sucker sticks. I didn't dip mine I used a spoon and dripped it over them and put the sprinkles on them while wet.They turned out very cute. I used halloween sprinkles and put them in individual halloween cellophane bags. My daughter teaches special ed and she is going to make these for her kids for a treat for halloween.
someone suggested using pretzel sticks.

You can use the pretzel stick 3 on each side to make a spider... drizzle it with the chocolate and sprinkle it...
They come out really cute... it is the only spider I like....

Ish said:
You can use the pretzel stick 3 on each side to make a spider... drizzle it with the chocolate and sprinkle it...
They come out really cute... it is the only spider I like....

If you use 6 pretzels, it's an insect. Arachnids (spiders) have 8 legs. ;)

JChandler said:
We did these at our meeting and my Director tried it with that squeezable chocolate that you use over ice cream - "magic shell" or something like that. She sprinkled the sprinkles over instead of rolling and then put them in a paper baking cup. We put them in the freezer for a short time and it worked great. We used lollipop sticks because we couldn't find any candy canes yet.

What Julie didn't see, though, is that after sitting on the counter for a few minutes (well, maybe more like 1/2 hour) the 'shell' got soft and runny, so it's not recommended, unless you're going to eat them right away.

Look!!! It's Julie, my absolutely fabulous Director! Have I mentioned how much I love Julie??!!

Yeah, thanks Sarah for "dinging" my first post ever!
Just kidding - I love you too!!!!!

I tried these brownie lollipops today for the first time. I read all the suggestions and used most of them. However, they still did not turn out! They were a pain to lift out of the chocolate. I placed them in the cupcake holders, sprinkled and stuck a pretzel stick in the center. They did not harden for 30 minutes. Maybe I tried them with the brownies too warm. I could put them in the refrigerator but I think that is just too much time to do at a show. When they finally hardened they were still a mess to remove from the cupcake holder and you certainly could not hold them like a lollipop. I have no idea where to find the actual lollipop sticks that others suggested. I have a host who wants to do these for her show. Hopefully I can get her to change her mind. I am so frustrated!!!!:grumpy:

Sherryskitchen said:
I tried these brownie lollipops today for the first time. I read all the suggestions and used most of them. However, they still did not turn out! They were a pain to lift out of the chocolate. I placed them in the cupcake holders, sprinkled and stuck a pretzel stick in the center. They did not harden for 30 minutes. Maybe I tried them with the brownies too warm. I could put them in the refrigerator but I think that is just too much time to do at a show. When they finally hardened they were still a mess to remove from the cupcake holder and you certainly could not hold them like a lollipop. I have no idea where to find the actual lollipop sticks that others suggested. I have a host who wants to do these for her show. Hopefully I can get her to change her mind. I am so frustrated!!!!:grumpy:

hijack...I had a host really want to do the homemade for the holidays. After hearing how these and the other recipes weren't too terrific for demos, I successfully steered her towards letting me do the Taffy Apple Tartlets. I love these brownie lollipops, but I can't bring myself to do them at a show.

I have been doing the brownie lollipops for my shows this month...
using the mini muffin tin to make the brownies made it easier... they were not quite balls, but looked kind of like bells... worked great. During the hardening stage, we made a dip with sweet sprinkles, talked about the trifle bowl as a centerpiece and played queen of shoppers.s.. I liked it for a show.

My host tomorrow night desperately wants to make these. I've never done a demo cold before, I always make it at least once at home before I go in front of a group of people I don't know. I didn't make these because I was thinking they look so easy, what's the big deal? Now I'm worried. She just called me because she can't find almond bark anywhere. She wants to know if bakers chocolate will work instead. Any thoughts?

I have a feeling I will be using the phrase "pampered, not perfect" quite often tomorrow night! Probably doesn't help that this is the first cooking show that I've done since February... It's like being new all over again!

ChefMary412 said:
using the mini muffin tin to make the brownies made it easier... they were not quite balls, but looked kind of like bells... worked great. During the hardening stage, we made a dip with sweet sprinkles, talked about the trifle bowl as a centerpiece and played queen of shoppers.s.. I liked it for a show.

how long did you cook the brownies for? I am making these tomorrow, thanks :)

i couldnt find almond bark anywhere either. i ended up using bakers chocolate an they were still yummy! I admit they were messy but they looked great once completed!

ChefMary412 said:

That sounds like a great show! Maybe I won't be chicken anymore. ;) I think I'll practice these and see how it goes for me. I still haven't seen candy canes for sale yet--as of a few days ago. Who knows, maybe now they have them since they jump to Christmas stuff so fast.

Here's what I'd like to see....let home office produce a video of how to assemble these things and post it online. They look great in the photos, but I'd really like to see how they make them!

EpTxGuy said:
Here's what I'd like to see....let home office produce a video of how to assemble these things and post it online. They look great in the photos, but I'd really like to see how they make them!

That's a great idea! :)

EpTxGuy said:

I wholeheartedly agree! I really like the idea of these but cannot figure out how they got them to look soooo nice!

Try making them using the mini muffin pan! Dip the tops in the chocolate and then the sprinkles. Place into the little baking cups and stick the candy cane in. Worked for me.
I placed into a Christmas cellophane bag tied the tops and gave them out for my guests at my 1yr open house celebration. Everyone loved it!

I made these for an open house and cooked my brownies for 30 min., let them cool 30 min...a bit too long, but they scooped out nicely, I put the peppermint stick, that's all that was available at the time, spooned the melted bark over them, quickly sprinkled them with decorettes and immediately placed them in a mini muffin liner. They were delciousness!! I put one in a mini simple additions square and wrapped in cellophane and tied with a ribbon....So cute!! I would make them again for sure. One tip...roll them by hand so they are good and compact and they won't come apart. And I like the idea of skipping the peppermint stick altogether. Super yummy.
Deb

cookwithchris said:
Try making them using the mini muffin pan! Dip the tops in the chocolate and then the sprinkles. Place into the little baking cups and stick the candy cane in. Worked for me.
I placed into a Christmas cellophane bag tied the tops and gave them out for my guests at my 1yr open house celebration. Everyone loved it!

I agree, the mini muffin pan works so much better, I have made these 4 times now and it gets easier each time. I had people scarfing them up at an event today and I sold 8 mini muffin pans. I really think they need to change it to making them in the mini muffin pan:chef:

If you make them in the mini muffin pan, how long do you cook them for?? Do you use a small scoop to evenly portion the batter into the muffin pans? I'm making these tomorrow to practice before my mystery host party (I'm going to wrap in cellophane with ribbon and give to my hosts).

Any tips you can offer would be great!! :D

These sound so much like the oreo truffels that I love so much! I gotta try them out sometime!

<h2>1. How can I make sure the candy cane brownie lollipops have a thin and even layer of chocolate coating?</h2><p>One tip for achieving a thin and even layer of chocolate coating is to make sure the chocolate is melted to the right consistency. If it is too thick, it will be difficult to coat the brownie lollipops. You can also try using a pastry brush to spread the chocolate evenly instead of dipping the lollipops in the chocolate.</p><h2>2. Is there a trick to getting the chocolate to firm up faster?</h2><p>One trick for getting the chocolate to firm up faster is to place the lollipops in the refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes after coating them in chocolate. This will help the chocolate harden more quickly and prevent it from becoming too thick.</p><h2>3. How can I make the process of rolling the lollipops in sprinkles easier?</h2><p>One way to make rolling the lollipops in sprinkles easier is to pour the sprinkles into a shallow dish or plate and gently press the coated lollipops into the sprinkles. This will help the sprinkles stick to the chocolate without getting too messy.</p><h2>4. Has anyone tried using the small scoop instead of the medium scoop for this recipe?</h2><p>Some people have had better results using the small scoop instead of the medium scoop for this recipe. It may be worth trying out to see which size works best for you. You can also experiment with different sizes to find the perfect ratio of brownie to chocolate coating.</p><h2>5. Has anyone had success with this recipe?</h2><p>Yes, many people have had success with this recipe! Some tips for success include making sure the chocolate is melted to the right consistency, chilling the lollipops in the fridge or freezer to help the chocolate firm up, and using a shallow dish or plate for rolling the lollipops in sprinkles. Don't be discouraged if your first attempt doesn't turn out perfectly - with a little practice and these tips, you'll be making delicious candy cane brownie lollipops in no time!</p>

1. How can I make sure the candy cane brownie lollipops have a thin and even layer of chocolate coating?

One tip for achieving a thin and even layer of chocolate coating is to make sure the chocolate is melted to the right consistency. If it is too thick, it will be difficult to coat the brownie lollipops. You can also try using a pastry brush to spread the chocolate evenly instead of dipping the lollipops in the chocolate.

2. Is there a trick to getting the chocolate to firm up faster?

One trick for getting the chocolate to firm up faster is to place the lollipops in the refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes after coating them in chocolate. This will help the chocolate harden more quickly and prevent it from becoming too thick.

3. How can I make the process of rolling the lollipops in sprinkles easier?

One way to make rolling the lollipops in sprinkles easier is to pour the sprinkles into a shallow dish or plate and gently press the coated lollipops into the sprinkles. This will help the sprinkles stick to the chocolate without getting too messy.

4. Has anyone tried using the small scoop instead of the medium scoop for this recipe?

Some people have had better results using the small scoop instead of the medium scoop for this recipe. It may be worth trying out to see which size works best for you. You can also experiment with different sizes to find the perfect ratio of brownie to chocolate coating.

5. Has anyone had success with this recipe?

Yes, many people have had success with this recipe! Some tips for success include making sure the chocolate is melted to the right consistency, chilling the lollipops in the fridge or freezer to help the chocolate firm up, and using a shallow dish or plate for rolling the lollipops in sprinkles. Don't be discouraged if your first attempt doesn't turn out perfectly - with a little practice and these tips, you'll be making delicious candy cane brownie lollipops in no time!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• missyciccolella
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • PamperedSheep
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
JAE
  • Bluiydangl