1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Candied Pecans?

1. I'm planning on doing the Harvest Chicken Salad tomorrow for a demo and was wondering if anyone had an easy way to candy the pecans using the Sweet Caramel Sprinkle? Can I do it in the microwave? On stoneware? In the Executive Saute Pan? Can I just use the sprinkles or would I need other ingredients? Thanks so much!

Dec 1, 2009
  2. JAE

JAE Legacy Member

Try these and let us know. I haven't done it but thought about it:

Peppered Glazed Pecans
    ----------------------
    Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar (Use the sprinkles in place of the sugar.)
    2 teaspoons butter
    2 teaspoons light corn syrup
    1/4-1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper (Maybe take the pepper out?)
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 cup pecan halves

Directions:
    1. Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, black pepper and salt in (8-in.) Sauté Pan. Stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Add pecans and cook, stirring constantly using Bamboo Spatula, 5-7 minutes or until pecans are fragrant and well coated with glaze, separating any that are sticking together. Spread pecans in a single layer on Parchment Paper. Cool completely.

Yield: 16 servings

Dec 1, 2009
  3. shorelinecef

shorelinecef Novice Member

Take a look at the recipe for Chicken, Avocado and Grapefruit Salad. This is a way to candy cashews using the Sweet Caramel Sprinkle. I have done it for a show in the 8" saute pan. Because of the cooling time on the parchment, I did it ahead and saved some for people to taste while I "acted out" how I did it. They were delicious and so was the salad. Good luck!

Sweet Caramel Cashews
    2 tbsp Sweet Caramel Sprinkle
    1 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp light corn syrup
    ⅛ tsp salt
    1 cup cashews
    Additional Sweet Caramel Sprinkle
    Combine 2 tbsp caramel sprinkle, butter, corn syrup and salt in (8-in.) Sauté Pan. Stir over medium heat until
    butter is melted. Add cashews and cook, stirring constantly, 5-7 minutes or until cashews are evenly browned and
    syrup turns a caramel color. Spread cashews in a single layer on Parchment Paper; sprinkle with additional caramel
    sprinkle. Cool completely.
    Yield: 4 servings
    Nutrients per serving: Calories 270, Total Fat 20 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Carbohydrate 20 g,
    Protein 5 g, Sodium 115 mg, Fiber 1 g
    ©The

Dec 1, 2009
  4. JAE

JAE Legacy Member

Those Sweet Caramel Cashews are really good, too. I forgot about those!

Dec 1, 2009
  5. Thanks everyone. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my hands on corn syrup before the party, but maybe I can improvise...

Dec 1, 2009
  6. You don't need corn syrup for candied pecans.

Here is my recipe I use every single year with rave reviews. I just made them today actually on my rectangular stoneware pan.

Candied Pecans
    1 lb. pecan halves
    1/2c sugar
    1t cinnamon
    1/2t salt
    1 egg white
    1T water

Preheat oven 225.
    Combine sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bag. Beat the egg white and water until foamy. Toss pecans in the egg white. Once coated, add pecans to the bag and shake.
    Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

If you forget to stir, no biggie! I almost always forget once or twice.

Dec 2, 2009
  7. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

Whatever you do, do NOT use maple syrup! My host got that for me and it was a disaster!

8. Deb Bixler

Deb Bixler Member Gold Member

The easiest way to do them is not to candy them. That is what I would do. Toasted would be as nice and much easier. Or just plain raw and a quick chop with the food chopper would be good too. No one would care or chances are be even aware if you did not point it out. Keep your show simple....

Dec 2, 2009
Have something to add?