• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cancer Products Evaluation....

many people say they wished they would bring back the pink knife from last year. I think that's a great idea.They didn't sell any, but I liked the products. I especially liked the mitt and oven pad. But I didn't sell many. I would have sold more if I had been able to sell the scraper.I did better than I expected.
chefsteph07
I haven't seen anyone post on this yet, but I was just wondering, how did everyone do w/ cancer items for May? I didn't sell ONE thing, other than the free scrapers...:( Most of my hosts voiced their displeasure at the paisly oven mits and the overpriced cake tester...I was almost embarrassed toward the end of the month to bring it up and show the products...I really hope they revamp things next year or come up with some other alternatives/newer items/older more successful items in the past...anything other than this year!

I didn't sell any, but I was embarassed by how crummy the hot pads and mitts were. Way to thin. Yes, I know that's the way they are at the store, but I didn't want my name associated with anything that CHEAP. If you can't use them to pull stoneware out of the oven, PC shouldn't be offering them for sale. JMO

I sold some, about 40 all together with the free scraper. I love the mitt and oven pad, so did everyone else, they just didn't sell well. I would have sold 100 if I'd been able to sell the scraper!

pchockeymom said:
I sold some, about 40 all together with the free scraper. I love the mitt and oven pad, so did everyone else, they just didn't sell well. I would have sold 100 if I'd been able to sell the scraper!

I agree. They really missed out not making that scraper available for sale.

I sold only two mits and one hot pad and one cake tester. I don't even know how many free scrapers I had, but there were plenty that wanted to purchase it. I actually liked the HWC products this time around.

I did not sell any of the mitts or pads. I did sell a few cake testers. I had more free scrapers. I don't think people were getting their order to $60 to get the free scraper. I think the pink product thing is overdone, in general. I hope HO comes up with a new way to support this program.

I didn't sell any products but that's ok as i felt for the quality they were REALLY overpriced. And what was with the neon pink?? Ugh. Breast cancer pink is a soft pink. We need better products to offer our customers. These were not special at all.

I managed to sell 25 of them in 24hours just by using Facebook. But I agree, they were to thin and I wasn't impressed with them. I also wish that they had let customers buy the scrapers, but I agree the color was off.

I did better than I expected.
RC01 - 20
RC02 - 28
RC03 - 19
RC04 - 36

i had a lot asking why we didn't have another pink knife to go with the other 2 but as for this stuff i liked but i didnt have anyone buy it.

Zebra items were really awesome last year. The soft pink was beautiful and the serving heel and knife really got people to buy them last year. My customers are still asking about a paring knife for this year. My past cust. Did not buy pink products this year.

higoobs said:
Zebra items were really awesome last year. The soft pink was beautiful and the serving heel and knife really got people to buy them last year. My customers are still asking about a paring knife for this year. My past cust. Did not buy pink products this year.

So funny how people have differing opinions on the look of the products. Last year I got "What the hell is this rediculous looking thing?" - referring to the serving heel. Then the response would be, "Who in their right mind would buy and/or use that!"

My customers LOVED the mitt and oven pad, just didn't buy many of them. They REALLY loved my apron! Maybe PC should have offered the apron for sale!

The year they had the apron as a host item, I got a show since the host wanted it.

did not sell one cancer item...and it wasn't because I didn't try...I just couldn't get anyone to order them. I think they were over priced and not really a useful item. Loved the cake testers but too over priced now..they used to be $3.00 and my past customers remembered that price. Did do ok with the free scraper.
I wish they would bring back the twix its...everyone can always use those and people will buy them. Also a pink knife would have gone well...

I was looking forward to another pink knife, and so were my customers. Black and white paisley is nice, but not my idea of a HWC item, even with the tad bit of pink. Yes, I heard several people mention the items were way to expensive, and not really washable (mitt and pad).

typo on the word too

Now that I've heard the oven pad & mitt were thinner than the "regular" ones, I'm wondering if I wouldn't have liked them! The regular ones are so stiff, I can't bend them to grab hot things.

Agree that we could have sold tons of the pink scrapers if they were offered separately - however - HO probably realized that too, and went for higher sales by offering it as a free item with a $60 purchase.

I really wish they'd come out with pink collapsible bowls. I think those would sell like wildfire!
Not my idea - someone mentioned this about a year ago, sorry I can't remeber who it was to credit them.

So sad, I can't find my zebra high heel server.:( I wonder where I put it to keep it "safe". LOL

I agree with the higher price/lesser quality on the mitt and pad. I would gladly sell mine if anyone is interested.

I've been asked for a pink food chopper

I think the quality stunk. I sat for 5 days specifically to sell pink items.
My totals told the truth of what guests thought of them:
2 mitts
0 pads
1 cake tester
11 FREE pink scrapers and get this, not because they wanted them! Most ordered and did not even think about it. I had it right in front of them, on the flier I put in each catalog. I could not get anyone just under $60 go higher to get it free.
Personally, I do not think it is the products. I think, along with every other 6 million people asking for money for their causes, has hit a turn in the giving game. I actually had customers the last 3 years who were good at ordering in May that told me they were tired of every Tom, Dick and Harry asking for more money. They just could not afford it. I have to believe that is the case. I have 15 loyal customers that order specifically in May. Big orders too, usually $100 plus. Only 2 did so this year. The others actually ignored my e-mails and phone calls all together. I ran into one of the ladies after all was said and done and she said, "I can't any more. I just can not do it all."
That simple. And it is not like she is lacking for money folks.
My total donation was all of $193.96 for fund raising and pink products. I sent in too late to be counted but another $410 in cash donations. None of these was over $25. Last year I got quite a few $50 donations. I could not mail it though before Saturday so it won't get counted toward my totals with PC. That's OK. I do not care, it is where it needs to be. I sent it in with the form so they know where to put it. I run tot he same places that allowed me the $4000 plus show I have in my profile as my highest show total. Now it is more like $1000 if I am lucky! $954.20 to be exact! Not even $1000.

I would have love the pink scraper for sale. I think they need to do the i-slice, quikut knives and other items that people are happy to have more than one of. It doesn't have to be an item that we don't have in the catalog b/c then our customers probably know what it is already.

Jules711 said:
I would have love the pink scraper for sale. I think they need to do the i-slice, quikut knives and other items that people are happy to have more than one of. It doesn't have to be an item that we don't have in the catalog b/c then our customers probably know what it is already.

Send these in as suggestions.....they are great ideas because they are cheaper items and people are more willing to purchase. I've been disappointed the last few years....the potholders don't work worth a hoot when pulling stoneware out of the oven. Bring back the twix-it clips in pink.....customers loved those!

I personally wish we would do something else. When we first started this it was unique to us. But now, everybody and their brother has special items that go for one cause or another and it is usually breast cancer and pink. Trust me, I realize what an important issue this is and that every penny is needed but it is so overdone that no one cares anymore when you tell them what we are doing. I think it's time to find another cause. One that we ALL can stand behind - because I know there were some people who didn't support the American Cancer Society. And that is okay. We will never find something that everyone supports but there are other options out there. I just feel like this one has been run into the ground and we can focus on something else that is just as worthy.

monicag said:
Send these in as suggestions.....they are great ideas because they are cheaper items and people are more willing to purchase. I've been disappointed the last few years....the potholders don't work worth a hoot when pulling stoneware out of the oven. Bring back the twix-it clips in pink.....customers loved those!

I have! Repeatedly :). I think it's such a simple idea and they are things that we already change the color of sometimes.

I know they all think these are the things people will want to buy, but our own records show that that is not the case. I too believe that they need to keep the prices down so we can sell more. In fact, I need to get an e-mail out to HO myself. For that last 11 years I have busted my butt to raise money for this cause. I have hit the top 10 once and also have been very close to it up to 2008. If we had products that were reasonably priced, you can get cake testers at the dollar stores, and Hot pads and Mitts for that matter, why would go out of your way to buy one for $5.50 with a pink ribbon on it. Unique is also a key thing about that statement. Quantity is also a key thing here. $1 on a $20 items has NEVER worked for me. I can usually sell a ton of Quikut knives in pink and have. I have sold a ton of the color coated knives, and still could. I do not understand why our marketing people do not see these trends. I have never sold a ton of Pink Polk-a-dot Martini Glasses. Stupid crap if you ask me as they broke to easily for the price. I had two sets, now I have two glasses. They need quality items too. And our Quikuts are good for that. Mini-Serving Spatuals, Quikut Knives, Color Coated knives, I am not even so sure anyone would buy a pink Food Chopper as if you are good at your job, they should have at least one and cost is a factor there too. I also know the $1 per item is a turn off on expensive items too but that is a profit thing for HO too.

I do think that if there were more affordable pink products, people would buy them. They pot holders just weren't worth the money. I agree that the neon pink needs to go away. The softer pink is easier to sell. I think the following would make good pink products, but maybe HO doesn't want to pay $1 for each of these because they are affordable to the customer? Any of the scrapers
Twixit clips
Quikut Knives
Collapsible Bowls
Corn cob nobs
Basting brush
Garlic peeler
Egg slicer
Flexible mats
Handy scraperMaybe they could do a Pink Lemonade mix? or Pink sprinkles that are cinnamon flavored? or strawberry, cherry, raspberry flavored?I did sell quite a few sets of the pink martini glasses, but I believe it was only because it was also offered as a host special. I can't remember that far back....lol

My previous best-sellers have been the pink bar board w/coordinating quik-cut knife, the pink tomato knife (people went bonkers over those!), the pink nylon knife (again, bonkers), the pink & white twixit sets and the pink ribbon magnets. I agree everything has gotten over-priced.

My wish list for HWC products would be: the pink bar board, pink nylon knife, pink nylon pie/cake server, the twixits, 1 cup prep bowls with pink lids (pink glass would be cool too!), a pink dessert sauce, a pink mix n chop...

I forgot about that pink tomato knife! That was the same time as the martini glasses. When was the pink nylon knife? That must have been before my time.

chefa said:
My previous best-sellers have been the pink bar board w/coordinating quik-cut knife, the pink tomato knife (people went bonkers over those!), the pink nylon knife (again, bonkers), the pink & white twixit sets and the pink ribbon magnets. I agree everything has gotten over-priced.

My wish list for HWC products would be: the pink bar board, pink nylon knife, pink nylon pie/cake server, the twixits, 1 cup prep bowls with pink lids (pink glass would be cool too!), a pink dessert sauce, a pink mix n chop...

I wholeheartedly agree with all of your suggestions. I'm sure we could sell those pink bar boards with knife (I bought some from the outlet when I started) till the cows come home. A pink insulated cup with straw should also sell, but there are a lot of those out there already.

That's the type of thinking we need! Go for the exclusive PC products that guests can not get any where else and make sure they affordable. Then make sure there is more than one way to get that special product, the pink scraper for example. If my guests could have gotten it free at $60, they might just go for 50% off at a $30 order! If it is an exclusive product to PC and is affordable, under $11 then I think we could make a killing. If the product is something everyone can get some where else, the insulated cups for example, I think our "guests" would be less likely to buy. We really should brain storm here and make a plea to HO. I love the idea of a pink drink mix but I can't sell the ones we already have! And I can go to Aldi's or Walt-mart and buy drink mixes for $1.89 and get 3 gallons worth of mix! My guests have overall, hated those drink things. Taste wise and affordability wise. I believe the bar boar and knife set sold OK but if we did it three ways it would be better. Sell the knife, sell the bar board and then sell the set at a discount and I bet it would work. The color coated knives were a smash hit big time. If they would do ALL of them, all at the same time, or better yet, offer half in May and Half in October with us knowing that in May, I bet you we would sell mega sets of those. And a pink cutting board and maybe a pink knife holder for them too! Oh maybe that is getting carried away but I know those knives would work!

I would also like to see it become more like the Round Up campaign where we have an item or two in the catalog for an entire season. Again, they would need to be affordable and PC exclusive.

I do know this, the costs associated with doing something like that would be too much for HO. I am not sure how they do the Round-Up hearts in any form as this is such a risk for them financially. Do you order two or two hundred thousand items? The cost of an exclusive, colored item or specialty item like the heart, can be ridiculous to maintain. In fact, I am sure they were thinking cost/risk when they were looking to eliminate the Heart products all together when they were bombarded by some of us to keep them going. Very risky move financially for them. Why would you place a minimum order, set by the manufacturer, for a product, that may or may not sell. Just like everything else in our catalog, the only reasons a product is eliminated is either because of poor quality or it is not selling. We know the trivets are of good quality. So the only reason left for them wanting to discontinue the items, is cost on HOs part. Personally, I do not htink there is an easy answer here. I do know that even ordering multiple, exclusive Pink products every year for a one month push is a risk. But that one is more controlled for them.

John, the mark up for PC for our products (or any company for their products for that matter) is at least 50% - think about commissions up the line, host special pricing, etc. They are not losing money with these items. They may be making slightly less but that is all a write off which companies need too.

I understand what you are saying about the manufacturer requiring a minimum order and figuring out how much to get but even if a product ends up not selling as expected and being a loss it is again a write off.

As far as discontinuing things like the trivets - how many different trivets can they come up with and how many do we need? The reason to discontinue them is to freshen the line and create excitement for something new.

As far as the pink items I think they do it only in May because it makes them special and we promote them more in that one month than we would if they were in the book all year. I do wish they would bring them back again in October and they need to find better ideas. I do like your ideas of the smaller items in pink. People do buy that kind of thing vs larger ticket items.

Personally, I'm tired of everyone selling pink items for breast cancer. There are so many other cancers out there. I had cancer, my mother and grandfathers died of cancer. None of them breast cancer. I do promote our products and point out that everyone is affected by breast cancer (everyone knows someone) and I also say that any research helps with research for all cancers. My issue right now really is that when I give to a charity they turn around and give some of it to another charity. If I wanted to give to that second charity I would. I am being more careful where my giving goes now that I know that.

Pink Pan Scrapers... enough said! ;)

I just wish they would bring back some of the old ones that sold so well...for me, it was the pink bar board/knife and the pink one cup measure all...I don't really think it matters the time of the year or the fact that they are "pink" per say, but if they would come out w/ more things customers will USE, at a reasonable cost (the downfall, in my opinion, started w/ the kitchen gloves!) then the products will sell. A pink mini serving spatula, some more recipe cards like they had in the past (remember the "classic" cards? Those sold like wildfire for me), a cute apron maybe, knives for sure, how about a pink MIX N CHOP? (I would LOVE that!)

we're just gearing up for HWC in the uk, in October and a lot over here are unhappy with the pink products already. Love these ideas on this thread, hope they takethem inboard for next year

I didn't sell any but I just bought the items they are promoting for October. These items seem much more durable and usable....

Beth - very true on the profit margin. And no, I do know that if the product stays in the warehouse, it is inventoried and taxed. That is why they go out in October again. The more they can move the more they save in taxes. That said, I still truly believe in my heart that HO should NOT order anything in PINK at all. I mean it is no longer unique like it used to be. So why specialize anyway? Why could they not pick several of our best selling, best for customers in multiples, (Twixits!; Mini-Measure Alls; Mini-Serving Spatulas) and make those target products in May. Do we really need a color option? Better yet, why not put a $1 donation on everything in the catalog say over $10, as even I could not justify them putting a $1 donation on the $2 cookbook, sorry! Or maybe this. Pick an item to offer free on the $60 plus orders to do in pink. Then, put in a $.50 donation on each product ordered as well. 20 items ordered is a $10 donation. More than 10% or maybe just even a percentage of the total order. 10% of a $60 or $6. 5% of course would be $3. There just needs to be something better. To be honest even I have lost my interest in doing this because I got tired of more no's than I have even heard after asking bookings! Personally - PINK STINKS!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
laurichef
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • kcmckay
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies