• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Freeze Whoopie Pies with Marshmallow Fluff Icing?

In summary, the recipe for whoopie pies has its origins with the Amish, and in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, it is not uncommon to find roadside farm stands offering these desserts. Amish cooking is about old recipes that have fed families for generations, with no trendy or cross-cultural fusions or mixtures. These cake-like whoopie pies were considered a special treat because they were originally made from leftover batter.
Lisa/ChefBear
Gold Member
I've got a couple different variety of recipes and am thinking especially the pumpkin kind might go over awesome at a bake sale that I've got upcoming in Nov., but have time now to make them.

Does anyone know can you freeze whoopie pies??

Thanks,

Lisa

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I love them - my favorite - I went to college in Lancaster PA - they freeze beautifully!

Lisa/ChefBear said:
I've got a couple different variety of recipes and am thinking especially the pumpkin kind might go over awesome at a bake sale that I've got upcoming in Nov., but have time now to make them.

Does anyone know can you freeze whoopie pies??

Thanks,

Lisa

You're making pumpkin whoopie pies? Share please! :balloon:

I'd love for someone to share their recipe for pumpkin whoppie pies, or pumpkin gobs as I call them.

I made up a batch of them on Saturday, and I just can't get them right. They are perfect if you eat them the first day, but they do not keep well at all. The surface of the cake gets all sticky, and makes a mess when you eat them. Like I said, they are great if you eat them the day that you make them, but I've not been able to get them to hold even for one day. It doesn't matter if I refrigerate them, or keep them on the counter - the same results for both: sticky surfaces.

Here is my recipe. Maybe someone can take a look-see at it to determine what I am doing wrong.

Pumkpkin Gobs (Tracey's version)

2 cups pumpkin
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking powder.

Mix all ingredients together. Drop onto parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 14 minutes. Cool com[letely before filling with cream-cheese frosting. (Cream cheese frosting: 8oz cream cheese, 1/2 stick butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice, 4 cups confectioners sugar).

Have at it. Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Excuse my ignorance but what's a whoopie pie?

kcjodih said:
Excuse my ignorance but what's a whoopie pie?

I don't know, but doesn't it sound fun and good!? Especially a Pumpkin Whoopie Pie, I think I need to know this!

What is the recipe for the other whoopie pies? Can't wait to try the pumpkin ones YUMO!

Oh my goodness, I guess they really are a PA thing.
Sorry about that.
WhoopiePie_plate400b.jpg
A whoopie pie is like a sandwich, but made with two soft cookies with a fluffy white filling. Traditional whoopies pies are made with vegetable shortening, not butter. The original and most commonly made whoopie pie is chocolate. but cooks like to experiment, and today pumpkin whoopie pies are a favorite seasonal variation.

The recipe for whoopie pies has its origins with the Amish, and in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, it is not uncommon to find roadside farm stands offering these desserts. Amish cooking is about old recipes that have fed families for generations, with no trendy or cross-cultural fusions or mixtures. These cake-like whoopie pies were considered a special treat because they were originally made from leftover batter. According to Amish legend, when children would find these treats in their lunch bags, they would shout "Whoopie!"

The question of how the Amish dessert got to be so popular in New England probably is addressed in a 1930s cookbook called Yummy Book by the Durkee Mower Company, the manufacturer of Marshmallow Fluff. In this New England cookbook, a recipe for Amish Whoopie Pie was featured using Marshmallow Fluff in the filling.

These bring back memories of my mom, she made the best!!

These are close to my mom's. I know she had her own little tweaks, but of course I don't know what they are.

I've attached all the recipes for the varieties I've got.

Below is a link to the Fluff Site.

Whoopie Pies

1 egg
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 c. sugar
2 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Filling (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two large cookie sheets and set aside. In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed beat egg and vegetable oil. Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until pale yellow in color. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a measuring cup combine milk and vanilla. Add flour and milk mixtures alternately to eggs and sugar, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. These will spread a lot, so make 6 cakes per sheet at a time. Bake about 5 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire racks to cool. When cool, use filling and two cakes to make sandwiches. Makes 15.

Filling:
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 c. confectioners' sugar
1 c. Marshmallow Fluff (about 1/2 of a 7 1/2-oz. jar)
1 tsp. vanilla
In a medium bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and remaining ingredients until light and fluffy.

Reverse Whoopie Pies

1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
Filling (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two large cookie sheets and set aside. In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed beat egg and vegetable oil. Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until pale yellow in color. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a measuring cup combine milk and vanilla. Add flour and milk mixtures alternately to eggs and sugar, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. These will spread a lot, so make 6 cakes per sheet at a time. Bake about 8 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire racks to cool. When cool, use filling and two cakes to make sandwiches. Makes 15.

Filling:
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 7 1/2-oz. jar Marshmallow Fluff
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
In a medium bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and remaining ingredients until light and fluffy.

Fluffernutter Whoopie Pies

1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Filling (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two large cookie sheets and set aside. In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed beat egg and vegetable oil. Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until pale yellow in color. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a measuring cup combine milk and vanilla. Add flour and milk mixtures alternately to eggs and sugar, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Let sit 10 minutes. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. These will spread a lot, so make 6 cakes per sheet at a time. Bake about 5 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire racks to cool. When cool, use filling and two cakes to make sandwiches. Makes 15.

Filling:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine (1/2 stick)
2 tbsp. milk
Bring butter to room temperature. In a medium bowl with mixer at low speed, beat butter and remaining ingredients until light and fluffy.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 16 oz can pumpkin
1/2 cup oil
2 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp allspice
Filling (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two large cookie sheets and set aside. In a large bowl with mixer at low speed beat eggs, sugar & pumpkin until mixed. Mix in oil. Gradually beat in remaining dry ingredients. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets. Bake about 10-12 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire racks to cool. When cool, use filling and two cakes to make sandwiches. Makes about 22.

Cream Cheese Filling
4 oz Cream Cheese
Bring butter to room temperature. In a medium bowl with mixer at low speed, beat butter and cream cheese until mixed. Beat in Marshmallow Fluff. Add confections sugar until mixed.

http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/pages/whoopie_pies.html

So what do you think, can I freeze these??

Lisa

Lisa/ChefBear said:
Oh my goodness, I guess they really are a PA thing.
Sorry about that.
WhoopiePie_plate400b.jpg

These bring back memories of my mom, she made the best!!

These are close to my mom's. I know she had her own little tweaks, but of course I don't know what they are.

I've attached all the recipes for the varieties I've got.

Below is a link to the Fluff Site.

Whoopie Pies

1 egg
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 c. sugar
2 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Filling (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two large cookie sheets and set aside. In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed beat egg and vegetable oil. Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until pale yellow in color. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a measuring cup combine milk and vanilla. Add flour and milk mixtures alternately to eggs and sugar, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. These will spread a lot, so make 6 cakes per sheet at a time. Bake about 5 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire racks to cool. When cool, use filling and two cakes to make sandwiches. Makes 15.

Filling:
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 c. confectioners' sugar
1 c. Marshmallow Fluff (about 1/2 of a 7 1/2-oz. jar)
1 tsp. vanilla

Reverse Whoopie Pies

1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
Filling (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two large cookie sheets and set aside. In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed beat egg and vegetable oil. Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until pale yellow in color. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a measuring cup combine milk and vanilla. Add flour and milk mixtures alternately to eggs and sugar, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. These will spread a lot, so make 6 cakes per sheet at a time. Bake about 8 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire racks to cool. When cool, use filling and two cakes to make sandwiches. Makes 15.

Filling:
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Fluffernutter Whoopie Pies

1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Filling (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two large cookie sheets and set aside. In a large bowl with mixer at medium speed beat egg and vegetable oil. Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until pale yellow in color. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a measuring cup combine milk and vanilla. Add flour and milk mixtures alternately to eggs and sugar, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Let sit 10 minutes. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet. These will spread a lot, so make 6 cakes per sheet at a time. Bake about 5 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire racks to cool. When cool, use filling and two cakes to make sandwiches. Makes 15.

Filling:
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tbsp. milk
Bring butter to room temperature. In a medium bowl with mixer at low speed, beat butter and remaining ingredients until light and fluffy.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 16 oz can pumpkin
1/2 cup oil
2 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp allspice
Filling (recipe follows)

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease two large cookie sheets and set aside. In a large bowl with mixer at low speed beat eggs, sugar & pumpkin until mixed. Mix in oil. Gradually beat in remaining dry ingredients. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets. Bake about 10-12 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched with finger. Remove to wire racks to cool. When cool, use filling and two cakes to make sandwiches. Makes about 22.

Cream Cheese Filling
4 oz Cream Cheese
Bring butter to room temperature. In a medium bowl with mixer at low speed, beat butter and cream cheese until mixed. Beat in Marshmallow Fluff. Add confections sugar until mixed.

http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/pages/whoopie_pies.html

So what do you think, can I freeze these??

Lisa

pcheflisad said that she does all the time and it works great... give it a shot!

Sorry, missed that......
pcheflisad said that she does all the time and it works great... give it a shot!

So, pceflisad............Do you have a favorite recipe you use??

Do you wrap them in saran wrap, but in baggie, put on cookie sheet and get frozen then wrap??

Can you tell I don't want to screw these up.

Thanks,

Lisa

The Neely's on Food Network made pumpkin whopee pies today and they looked delicious!

Like I said poor Margo can't decide which kind she wants me to make. She loves the "true" whooie pies (choc. with white filling). But she also loves the PB ones, but it's close to Halloween so maybe we should do the pumpkin ones. Or MAYBE MOM, we should make ALL of them she told me before bed tonight.

Ugh, I've just go to make 20-25 of these for a Halloween party and some for my family by Friday. After that I can make and freeze for bake sale.

Which would you make??

Lisa

Howdy from Lancaster, PA!

Here's how my grandmother made whoopie pies...

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
4 cups flour
1 cup cocoa
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup really hot milk

Cream 2 cups sugar with 1 cup cup salted butter till really fluffy...like 10 minutes in the kitchenaid mixer.

Mix in 2 eggs, one at a time and beat for 5 more minutes.

Mix the flour, salt, and coco together in a seperate bowl.

Mix the rest together in another bowl.

Add a little bit of each to the butter mixture alternately.

I use the large pc scoop and bake on the large bar pan at 400 for about 10 minutes each.

Filling....
1 cup cream
1 cup butter
4 tbls flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar

Wisk the cream and flour together and cook in saucepan till thick.
Take off the heat and stir in the rest.

Whip in mixer till it starts fluffing up.

Cool slightly and sandwich whoopie pies around it.

For some reason, mine have never tasted as good as hers did.

Has anyone made the ones in the new Simply Sweet cookbook? Those look so good! I will be making those at some point!

Make them up, put them on a metal sheet uncovered. Freeze until hard, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and replace in freezer.

Thanks for the recipes!!

PamperedChefGuy said:
For some reason, mine have never tasted as good as hers did.

And they never will Sorry

;)

Sad, but true. hehehe

Is it ok to freeze gobs that has an icing with marshmallow fluff? I'll be using some this weekend & using the rest to make trays on Christmas Eve. I wasn't sure if I should keep them out or freeze them?

1. Can you freeze whoopie pies?

Yes, you can freeze whoopie pies! They freeze well and can be stored for up to 2 months.

2. How do I properly freeze whoopie pies?

To freeze whoopie pies, place them in an airtight container or wrap them individually in plastic wrap. Place them in the freezer and make sure they are not stacked on top of each other.

3. Can I freeze whoopie pies with filling?

Yes, you can freeze whoopie pies with filling. Just make sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container before freezing.

4. How do I defrost frozen whoopie pies?

To defrost frozen whoopie pies, simply take them out of the freezer and let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. They should be ready to eat after that!

5. Can I freeze homemade whoopie pies?

Yes, you can freeze homemade whoopie pies. Just make sure they are completely cooled before freezing and follow the proper freezing instructions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Lisa/ChefBear