• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can We Write off Our Earned Trips?

In summary, this is the first year that Debbie earned a "free trip" and it was to San Francisco. There are different opinions on whether or not she can write the $2521.73 off of her taxes. She is waiting on her flight and her kids have spring break the week before the trip.
PampMomof3
Gold Member
This is the first year I earned a "free trip" and it was to San Francisco. I'm right in the middle of doing my taxes and on my 1099 it lists San Fran for $2521.73. Can we do anything with that amount on our taxes?

Thanks in advance!

hmmmm...This is one of the questions you will hear all 3 answers! Yes, No, and your portion of the trip. I know one Senior Exec that says her account says to write the whole thing off, her CPA told her she could write it all of because of networking. My CPA, however, says that I can only write off my 1/2 of the trip. And I know many consultants who say you can't write it off at all.

This is something you will want to consulant a CPA on.

I am very comfortable writing my 1/2 of the trip off because Duska and I talk PC the whole time we are on the trips while our hubbies just sit there and roll their eyes! On one train ride, they rode in a seperate cabins!!!

Thanks Marlene! I knew you'd have some kind of answer for me!:D

LOL Marlene!Kristi, did we talk PC the whole time? We'll have to make sure we do on the cruise. :)

YES YES YES!! I remember Brian and Anthony talking on the ferry on the way back from Alcatraz because we were so wrapped up in talking about PC! I also remember waiting for the ferry and informing the guys about what Top Performance Cluster is!:D :D

I still have to find a sitter for the cruise! UGh! My kids also have spring break the week before our cruise so I'll be stoked to go on a boat for peace and quiet for 5 days!

woohooooooooI'm still waiting on my flights. Another consultant around here said she got a 6 a.m. departure. YUCK

Since you are on the subject. I got my 1099 and it has my $300 conference cash on it. Now, why do I have to list that on my taxes??? When I use the card I pay tax on all my purchases, so am I paying tax twice?????

You earned the $300 in cash. It is just like you earned commission. When you use it for PC stuff, that is a write off.

DebbieJ said:
woohoooooooo

I'm still waiting on my flights. Another consultant around here said she got a 6 a.m. departure. YUCK
Yep, that was me. :) I asked if they'd send us out the night before and pay for the hotel. They said they could but the hotel would be at our expense. I don't want to do that. They did then find an 8 am flight on United out of O'Hare, so we took that. That won't be quite as painful. We'll leave the house at 5:30 am instead of 3:30 am!!

Hope you get your flight soon, Debbie!:)

Yes, conf. cash is just like income...or earning S-A-T products...so we would have to pay income tax on it on top of the sales tax that we paid when we used it.

Since you are on the subject. I got my 1099 and it has my $300 conference cash on it. Now, why do I have to list that on my taxes??? When I use the card I pay tax on all my purchases, so am I paying tax twice?????

One is sales tax and the other is income tax. You can write off sales tax on your income tax return if you can prove it's more than the standard deduction. That's based as a percentage of your total income. If you have sales receipts, especially for large purchases, you may have enough.

1. Can we write off the cost of travel for earned trips?

No, unfortunately the cost of travel for earned trips cannot be written off. The IRS considers these trips to be personal vacations, so the expenses incurred cannot be deducted as business expenses.

2. Are there any exceptions to being able to write off earned trips?

There are some exceptions to the rule. If the trip is for a business conference or training, and the majority of the trip is spent on business-related activities, then the expenses may be able to be deducted. However, this is subject to IRS guidelines and should be discussed with a tax professional.

3. What about meals and entertainment during the trip?

Meals and entertainment expenses incurred during the trip may be deductible if they are directly related to your business, such as meals with potential clients or team members. Keep detailed records and receipts to support these deductions.

4. Can we write off the cost of our spouse or family member's travel for earned trips?

No, the cost of travel for any accompanying family members or spouses cannot be written off. Only the expenses related to your own travel can potentially be deducted.

5. Are there any other tax implications to earning trips through Pampered Chef?

Earning trips through Pampered Chef may have tax implications, such as being considered taxable income. It is important to consult with a tax professional or accountant to understand any potential tax implications and how to properly report them on your tax return.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kelly8
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lpacker
  • pchefinski
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • wadesgirl