• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Sell the DCB Without Even Using It?

so that's 4 micros used. I'm sorry, but I don't think it would make a big difference if I used a different size micro for each show. :)Exactly - Wattage isn't an issue. It works no matter what the wattage is - just not as quickly with low wattage micros.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I have been wanting to get a new microwave, since I need to practice recipes at home for my shows. They have been running a little higher than I want to spend, however.

Is this a deductible expense?

I would guess that it would be similar to writing off a laptop or home office. You'd have to determine the per cent of use that is business related.

I would say yes if you are using it for business, but I would ask an accountant. I'm writing off my laptop ...

I actually purchased a microwave (just for my shows) b/c a lot of time the dcb is to big for some host microwaves, and I was planning to use it as a write off.

I think the main difference is a portable microwave that you are using JUST for business- yes, obviously. If it's one you are using in your personal kitchen as well, you can't take a 100% deduction on it- just like, you can't take 100% deduction on computers, home office, etc- UNLESS you are using it JUST 100% for business. If anything other than business is used in that space or with that item, then you have to adjust accordingly. Otherwise, it's a big red flag for the IRS.We don't even bother taking home office space as a deduction because the tax software says it's a flag and one of the most common reasons for IRS audits- not worth a few bucks to me. I'm not THAT confident in my record keeping to go through an audit.I'd consult a competent tax accountant.

A "portable" microwave, as in a small one, that will not accomodate the DCB?If that's what you mean, it kind of defeats the purpose.I'm not thinking the whole thing ... my accountant lets me deduct 35 percent of my cel phone, for instance. I'm thinking 25 percent for this.

Di_Can_Cook said:
A "portable" microwave, as in a small one, that will not accomodate the DCB?

If that's what you mean, it kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm not thinking the whole thing ... my accountant lets me deduct 35 percent of my cel phone, for instance. I'm thinking 25 percent for this.

Well, I was thinking like what MelindaG was eluding to...a microwave large enough for your DCB, but not so big that you can't take it with you. Many counter-top models can fit the DCB (most of my hosts had those kinds).

But I'd bet a 25% deduction would be just fine. If others can take huge deductions on kitchen remodels, that would be easily done. And if you are doing any records on practice food you purchase when trying out a recipe, that will show what you are doing too....I'm not quite that good at my records, but when I grow, someday I hope to keep them that straight! :)

I have inquired and inquired and inquired about what micro will fit a DCB and nobody seems to answer ... I know 700 CF is way too small and 900 might be too. 1100 seems way too big to haul in your car from show to show. The micro issue is the main reason I often don't offer DCB recipes.

With all my baggage, I can't imagine lugging a microwave, too. And I wonder if it would discourage a host from considering the business?

Di_Can_Cook said:
I have inquired and inquired and inquired about what micro will fit a DCB and nobody seems to answer ... I know 700 CF is way too small and 900 might be too. 1100 seems way too big to haul in your car from show to show. The micro issue is the main reason I often don't offer DCB recipes.

The wattage is really not the issue... I think that is what you are saying withthe 700/900 right? Or not? The measurements inside need to be 13x7x7
I've used the DCB in an Amana RadarRange that was 29 years old and in a brand new 1300 watt micro. It performs beautifully in both... just took much longer in that old model! :)

quiverfull7 said:
The wattage is really not the issue... I think that is what you are saying withthe 700/900 right? Or not? The measurements inside need to be 13x7x7
I've used the DCB in an Amana RadarRange that was 29 years old and in a brand new 1300 watt micro. It performs beautifully in both... just took much longer in that old model! :)

Exactly - Wattage isn't an issue. It works no matter what the wattage is - just not as quickly with low wattage micros.

And I can't believe that the micro size is such a huge issue. I just counted my shows from Nov & Dec...I had 20 cooking shows in those 2 months, and had 3 hosts whose micros weren't big enough. Not a big deal. I take the DCB anyway, and just talk about it. At one show where I did this, it was a brunch show, and we did Brunch Squares...while they were in the oven, I talked about my magic pot.
I sold 3 DCB's,
booked 2 December shows, and
the host bought a DCB, and put a new Micro on her Christmas List! Then, she re-booked for the Spring!

There are hundreds of other products to talk about and sell, and the DCB can be sold w/o even using it - so it's not a show-destroyer if the host's micro is too small!;):D

ChefBeckyD said:
Exactly - Wattage isn't an issue. It works no matter what the wattage is - just not as quickly with low wattage micros.

And I can't believe that the micro size is such a huge issue. I just counted my shows from Nov & Dec...I had 20 cooking shows in those 2 months, and had 3 hosts whose micros weren't big enough. Not a big deal. I take the DCB anyway, and just talk about it. At one show where I did this, it was a brunch show, and we did Brunch Squares...while they were in the oven, I talked about my magic pot.
I sold 3 DCB's,
booked 2 December shows, and
the host bought a DCB, and put a new Micro on her Christmas List! Then, she re-booked for the Spring!

There are hundreds of other products to talk about and sell, and the DCB can be sold w/o even using it - so it's not a show-destroyer if the host's micro is too small!;):D
Well said Becky!

I have had very few times that the DCB didn't fit in the microwave. When that happened we punted. I changed it to an oven recipe and did part of it ahead of the guest arrival, then just talked about what I did.

I have sold DCB's at shows where I didn't even bring it. I just talked about it. Relate to the crowd. "How many of you stop at the drive through on the way home because there just isn't time to cook?" "How would you like to be able to put together a great meal in less time than that stop and for less money?" That gets them listening. Then talk about some of the recipes and don't forget to say that it can also be used in the oven. I email everyone who buys it a 24 page doc with tons of recipes for the DCB (both micro and oven). I have had people buy it because of the recipes I give them - they have told me that knowing they'd have lots uses for it makes it worth it.

I personally would not take a microwave with me to shows. If they don't have one then pick a different recipe. We have a ton of awesome products besides the DCB.

1. Can I write off my microwave as a business expense?

Yes, if you use your microwave for business purposes, you can write it off as a business expense. This includes using it to cook or heat up food for events, demonstrations, or for your own meals while working.

2. Do I need to keep track of the specific amount of time I use my microwave for business purposes?

No, you do not need to keep track of the exact amount of time you use your microwave for business purposes. However, it is recommended to keep a log of your business-related microwave use for record-keeping purposes.

3. Can I write off the full cost of my microwave or only a portion?

You can only write off the portion of your microwave's cost that is used for business purposes. For example, if you use your microwave 50% of the time for business and 50% for personal use, you can only write off 50% of the cost.

4. What documentation do I need to provide to write off my microwave?

You will need to keep a record of your microwave purchase, such as a receipt or invoice, as well as a log of your business-related use. This documentation may be requested in the event of an audit.

5. Can I write off a microwave that I already own or does it have to be a new purchase?

You can write off a microwave that you already own as long as you use it for business purposes. However, if you are purchasing a new microwave specifically for your business, you can write off the full cost of the new appliance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dianevill
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lkprescott
  • woernerlaura
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
ChefLissa
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service