• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using Real Pumpkin in Microwave Spiced Cake Recipe | Halloween Show Tip

In summary, the conversation discusses using fresh pumpkin in a microwave spiced pumpkin cake recipe and how to substitute canned pumpkin. The recommended pumpkins for baking are the cheesecake pumpkin and orange softball size pumpkins. The process for cooking fresh pumpkin is also explained. The conversation also shares a quick pumpkin spice cake recipe using either canned or fresh pumpkin.
koren
I am doing a show the day after halloween- thought I'd make the microwave spiced pumpkin cake recipe. I've always used canned pumpkin. Does anyone know how to substitute real fresh pumpkin (I may not do it at the show that way, but thought it'd be a great tip for folks!)
Thanks!

The best cooking pumpkin is the CHEESECAKE PUMPKIN. It is white and is flat on top and bottom. They can buy it at a specialty store or at a pumpkin patch.

Another pumpkin good to bake are orange softball size pumpkins.

To cook fresh pumpkin:

Wash the outside. Cut it in half and take out all the seeds. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Put your pumpkin in a roasting pan, cut side up, and cover it with foil. If they have both rectangle baker and it's lid, that will do fine. Bake until pumpkin is soft and a fork can pierce the inside flesh. I wish I could tell you the baking time, but I have never timed it.

Pumpkin SubstitutionLooking at my latest copy of Cooking Light (Nov 2005) I saw a note about pumpkins.

It says that "canned product makes a perfectly fine substitute for fresh roasted pumpkin and will save you plenty of time and work." I don't see why you cannot substitute the other way around.

Some pumpkin facts: 1 cup of canned pumpkin puree contains 310 % of the recommended daily allowance for vitamin A. Pumpkin is also rich in vitamin C, calcium, fiber, and potassium.

RecipeOooo Could you please send me the recipe for the micro pumpkin cake?

Thanks!
Taniesa

Quick Pumpkin Spice Cake RecipeThank you guys for the tips! My guests loved having a good way to use their pumpkins.
Here's the recipe, Taniesa.
Quick Pumpkin Spice Cake (From All the Best)

Brush stoneware fluted pan with vegetable oil with pastry brush. In classic batter bowl, combine 3 eggs and1 15 oz can pumpkin; whisk until smooth. Add a package of spice cake mix, whisk until thouroughly blended, about 1 minute. Pour into pan and spread easily.

Microwave cake on high in 14 minutes until Cake tester comes out clean (cake will be slightly moist on top near center.) Let stand in microwave 10 minutes. loosen cake from sides of pan. Invert onto serving plate and cool at least 30 min.

For glaze, combine 1 c. powdered sugar and 3-4 teaspoons milk to make a thick glaze. Spread evenly over top of cake. Arrange 12 pecan halves (opt.) evenly over top of cake, if desired. Sprinkle with the zest of 1 orange.

It is quite yummy and incredible easy, and reminds folks of the versatility of stoneware!

Can I Use Real Pumpkin?

Yes, you can use real pumpkin in your Pampered Chef recipes. Here are the answers to the top 5 frequently asked questions about using real pumpkin.

1. Can I use fresh pumpkin instead of canned pumpkin?

Yes, you can use fresh pumpkin in place of canned pumpkin in most recipes. However, keep in mind that fresh pumpkin may have a different texture and flavor than canned pumpkin, so the end result may vary slightly.

2. How do I prepare fresh pumpkin for cooking?

To prepare fresh pumpkin for cooking, start by selecting a small pie pumpkin (also known as a sugar pumpkin) instead of a large carving pumpkin. Cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy pulp, and then roast or steam the pumpkin until it is soft. Once cooled, scoop out the flesh and use it in your recipe.

3. Do I need to cook the pumpkin before using it in a recipe?

Yes, you should cook the pumpkin before using it in a recipe. Pumpkin needs to be cooked to soften the flesh and develop its flavor. This can be done by roasting, steaming, or even microwaving the pumpkin.

4. Can I substitute pumpkin pie filling for pureed pumpkin?

No, pumpkin pie filling and pureed pumpkin are not the same and cannot be used interchangeably in recipes. Pumpkin pie filling has added sugar and spices, while pureed pumpkin is just plain pumpkin.

5. How long does fresh pumpkin puree last?

Fresh pumpkin puree will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. Make sure to store it in an airtight container or freezer bag.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedpnina
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
vwpamperedchef
  • alidafrizzell
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
  • winklermom