• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Use P3 on My Desktop and Laptop?

In summary, you can install P3 on your desktop computer, but you have to back up and restore the data every time you use it.
luvmypomeranian
I installed P3 on my iMac desktop. But, I'd like to be able to take it to shows on our laptop so I can do host discounted orders right there if they want to.

So I can use it on both computers or would my information in it not be there on the laptop that was there on the desktop?

Maybe my husband should just buy me my own laptop so we dont have to share and I can just do all my P3 stuff on it :)

You can, but you have to back up and restore each time you use it. So... if you use it on the laptop - you must back up the laptop and restore that data to the desktop. And vice versa. I did that for awhile, but now I just use my laptop for all PC stuff.Tell hubby if you get a laptop, you can write it off as a business expense!

I mainly use my laptop, but I still back up on the pc...just incase. So I save on a jump drive to go between the pc & laptop.

How do i export all of my info from my desktop and import it onto my laptop? I just bought a laptop & I want to just use it on my laptop now, but I can't figure out how to IMPORT my info. I was able to export it fine, but nowhere do I see an import option??
Thanks!

cookingwithdot said:
How do i export all of my info from my desktop and import it onto my laptop? I just bought a laptop & I want to just use it on my laptop now, but I can't figure out how to IMPORT my info. I was able to export it fine, but nowhere do I see an import option??
Thanks!
For P3, the process is pretty easy, but you have to remember to do it every time you switch from the desktop to the laptop, and vice versa.Start with the machine you've been using (I presume it's your desktop?). In P3, you want to make a backup to a USB thumbdrive (heck, you should back up P3 regualrly anyway, to something other than your hard drive!). The icon for backing up looks like a little floppy disc (second from the right at the top of the P3 screen); you can also go to Tools -> Backup. Or use a keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + Shift +B.Take that thumbdrive to your laptop. Install P3 on the laptop, if it isn't already (you can download P3 from CC). Start it up, and once it's running, you want to Restore. To restore, go to Tools -> Restore. Or use the icon to the far right at the top of the P3 window.You will be asked if you are sure you want to restore from a backup, as your data will be erased. Make sure the backup you are restoring from is current (believe me, it's a real PITA to find out later you erased something by accident!:blushing:). A good habit to get into, if you are going back and forth between two machines is to back up to the portable drive every time you finish something in P3, and as you close the program; then make sure you restore every time you start up on either machine. It won't hurt anything if you restore from a backup you created last night on the same machine ;)

Thanks for this thread .... bumping it up because I'll soon be putting P3 on my new laptop!I am already in the habit of backing up P3 to the hard time every time I make changes and to the jump drive every time I submit a show. Learned the hard way after losing P3 too many times when computers died.I would prefer to keep it on the desktop for now.Does anybody know if it's a problem if the new laptop has Windows 7 and the old desktop still has Windows XP?

Thanks for bumping this thread! I just got a new laptop today and am trying to figure out how to get P3 on the laptop.

Just wondering after reading this thread if there is a reason why you would need to have P3 on both desktop and laptop and not one OR the other?

Personally ... I prefer to have it on my desktop since it is connected to a printer and on all the time.The laptop is something I see taking to shows and to hosts' houses to have it in front of me when I close.Eventually, the laptop may be my primary computer, but not at this time. Ergonomically and otherwise, it just makes more sense to use a desktop whenever possible. But I am still excited about it. It is the first new computer I've ever owned!

Intrepid_Chef said:
Does anybody know if it's a problem if the new laptop has Windows 7 and the old desktop still has Windows XP?
It shouldn't be, as all you will be doing is backing up and restoring files to the existing installed program. I wouldn't think they would change the type of file for different versions of Windows.

P3 is written in such a way that it is compatible with all current versions of Windows Operating Systems. I have it on a Windows Vista machine and have never had a problem. I too had been using a laptop for shows, get home, back up the laptop and restore the file to my desktop. No sweat, usually! I have accidentally Cris-crossed the two and made a total mess of the show I just did though. so you have to be very careful when restoring the right version of P3 to which machine! To get P3 onto a new machine, go to CC, Managing your business, My Shows, Pampered Partner and click on the P3 version you need. Then on your machine where you have P3 installed, do a back up to a removable storage device like a jump drive or even a CD. Then do a restore tot he new version and it should be all there when you are done.

"Just wondering after reading this thread if there is a reason why you would need to have P3 on both desktop and laptop and not one OR the other?"

You don't need it on both unless you use both. I have it on both because I like to take my laptop with me and its easy to check prices and input at the show...and if my kids are using the desktop I don't have to wait. And, with it on both there is always a backup in case something happens to one or the other...which seems to happen a lot at my house.

Well I am posting this from my new laptop ... it has P3 on it!

And I have to say I love the laptop but HATE the keyboard ... no number pad on it and it's jumpy because I accidentally touch the touch pad. So until I get a docking station and can plug a proper keyboard into it, I will be using both.

Intrepid_Chef said:
Well I am posting this from my new laptop ... it has P3 on it!And I have to say I love the laptop but HATE the keyboard ... no number pad on it and it's jumpy because I accidentally touch the touch pad. So until I get a docking station and can plug a proper keyboard into it, I will be using both.
I've been debating about getting a USB number pad to use with my laptop at shows - using the numbers at the top slow me down!(edited to fix the darn typo!)

I love my USB number pad.I do agree that when going back and forth that you do have to be careful to restore from the right file and to make sure you are backing up every time. I messed that up once and when I restored parties that I had closed then appeared still open in P3 and I had to call the solution center to have them send a script to mark them as closed.

1. Can I use P3 on both my desktop and laptop?

Yes, P3 is available for use on both desktop and laptop computers as long as they meet the system requirements.

2. Do I need to purchase separate licenses for my desktop and laptop?

No, P3 offers a single license that can be used on both your desktop and laptop.

3. Can I transfer my P3 license from my desktop to my laptop?

Yes, you can transfer your P3 license from one device to another as long as you deactivate the license on the original device first.

4. Do I need an internet connection to use P3 on my desktop and laptop?

No, P3 can be used offline on both desktop and laptop devices once it has been installed and activated.

5. Are there any differences in the features or interface of P3 on desktop and laptop?

No, the features and interface of P3 are the same regardless of whether you are using it on a desktop or laptop.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jillmami
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • Chef_2_Four
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
  • ChefJoyJ