• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Anything Save These Cookies?

In summary, DD18 followed the recipe for chocolate chip cookies, but added too much salt. She shared this with her mother, who encouraged her to make another batch without salt.
akrebecca
Silver Member
Friday night, while DH & I were at the store, he mentioned a craving for chocolate chip cookies & asked if I could make some this weekend. Sure, just pick up some brown sugar & chocolate chips because I have everything else. Saturday (yesterday) I had a girl scout meeting at 10:30 (went a little long) & a show at 2. The show was with a friend so after the PC part was over, we finished off the sangria, fed the horses, & talked. I didn't get home until about 9. When I walked thru the door with my hands full of stuff, I could hear the mixer going in the kitchen. DH said he couldn't wait any more & had DD18 make the cookies. Ok. Fine. I was tired anyway and was looking forward to going to bed early-well before midnight anyway.

Fast forward about 45 min. DD18 comes upstairs with some cookies & asks me to taste one. I could tell something was wrong because she did not have a "I am proud of my accomplishment" look on her face. It was more of a "I think I screwed up & need to have you help me" look. She explained that she followed the recipe but may have added too much salt. I asked "How much?" thinking maybe she put in 3/4TBS instead of 3/4tsp. That shouldn't be too bad.

"I think I put in 3/4 of a cup" she responded.

"How much?" I asked slightly stunned & confused.

"3/4 of a cup"

"You used a measuring cup & not a spoon."

"Yes, I used a cup."

"Ermmm. Well, I don't think we can do anything. Let me taste one." Yup. Too much salt.

This morning I had a taste of the cookie dough. Normally I have no problem tasting cookie dough. This time I could not let it past my tastebuds. Way too much salt.

So, before I toss out the cookies and dough (good thing she did not make a double batch!) does anyone know how I can save these cookies? I thought about putting iceing on but I don't think that would help much. I know for soup or stew with too much salt you toss in some potatoes. I am stumped and the Scots part of me hates the idea of throwing away food.

You'll be baking for a while... All I can think of is make several batches without salt and mix them together.

One of the girls O work with loves to make what she calls PMS Chocolate Chip Cookies where she doubles the salt. I won't touch them. They are too salty.

Short of that, pitch them.

lt1jane said:
You'll be baking for a while... All I can think of is make several batches without salt and mix them together.

One of the girls O work with loves to make what she calls PMS Chocolate Chip Cookies where she doubles the salt. I won't touch them. They are too salty.

Short of that, pitch them.

I was thinking of making more without salt and combining the batches but there is two challenges with that. Even if I were to put 1 1/2 tsp of salt, that would be 24 batches...i think. And, there was not much left of the dough.

Yeah, I think I am dumping the cookies.

poor DD18. I remember making a cake as a kid that I somehow got cornmeal instead of flour into. But anytime I "Can't Wait" for something, disaster seems to follow.Thank goodness it's only one batch of cookies. She'll make many great ones!

I have had this in the back of my mind all day, just kinda thinking about it. At 12 I was baking & cooking all the time.She just isn't. The biggest difference? I had home ec almost three years straight in school. Home Ec is something that got cut in our local school district over ten years ago.

Soooo.....I am thinking I am going to look at doing classes at home. Cooking with teens, or My First Kitchen, or Cooking with a microwave & a hot plate. Or something like that.

we all make mistakes, Encourage her to make another batch, She'll have stellar results.

Get her to keep practice. She has the tools ...just needs to read the recipe better.

akrebecca - good idea 4-5 girls at a time would be easy to control.

This made me laugh as it brought back memories of when I was a teenager. My sister made a cake (lots of butter and brown sugar as a topping) It was so BAD we dug a hole in the back yard and buried it before my parents came home. The grass didn't grow there fore years and Mom kept saying that she must be having a 'senior moment' because she was sure she should have more butter/sugar then what was in the cupboard... I will have to email my sister and remind her of this...LOL

1. Why did my cookies turn out flat and spread out?

There are a few possible reasons for flat cookies. One common reason is that the butter was too soft or melted before baking, causing the cookies to spread out. It's important to use room temperature butter and chill the dough before baking. Overmixing the dough can also result in flat cookies. Additionally, make sure your oven is properly preheated and not too hot, as this can cause the cookies to spread.

2. My cookies are too dry, what went wrong?

Dry cookies can be caused by using too much flour or overbaking. Make sure to properly measure your flour, and if possible, weigh it for more accuracy. Overbaking can also dry out cookies, so it's important to follow the recommended baking time and keep an eye on the cookies while they are in the oven.

3. Can I substitute ingredients in the recipe?

Substituting ingredients can alter the texture and taste of the cookies. However, some substitutions can work, such as using a different type of chocolate chip or adding nuts or dried fruit. It's always best to follow the recipe as written for the best results, but feel free to experiment and make changes to suit your preferences.

4. How do I store these cookies?

To keep your cookies fresh, store them in an airtight container at room temperature. They will last for a few days this way. If you want to store them for longer, you can freeze the cookies for up to 3 months. Let them thaw at room temperature before enjoying.

5. Can I double the recipe?

Yes, you can double the recipe to make more cookies. However, keep in mind that the baking time may need to be adjusted as the cookies may take longer to bake when the dough is doubled. It's also important to make sure you have a large enough mixing bowl and baking sheets to accommodate the doubled recipe.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefmoseley
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • esavvymom