• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Campout Food for a Huge Group (100+)- Ideas?

That would be great- except we're on a campout- in Basic Tent accomodations, with 40 families (120+ people). :(We've done tin foil meals before when camping. Basically a ball of meat with what ever toppings (potatoes, carrots, peppers, onions, etc), wrapped in tin foil and fix over hot coals. Everybody could make their own packet and put their name on it. Or each family could make a larger packet for themselves.I have cooked on a 4-day campout for 120 before. I usually do:1) Taco Salad -- always a hit2) Spaghetti3) Oriental Chicken Salad4) PC BLT Mac
esavvymom
Staff member
Howdy!
I need some help. Our Cub Scout pack is planning for the Spring campout.
We are expecting at least 120 people, maybe more (Everyone ones to go to Jamestown VA for some reason ;) ). We do our meals as a group ( to avoid lots of little fires, camp stoves, etc within the group that could be a hazard with so many kids running around)

Anyway...the "grub master" is planning to serve Spaghetti and meatballs, canned green beans :yuck: (fresh yes, canned- ugh), and salad, rolls....again.

Sounds great, right? Well, yes- but we did that at our last spring campout, but more importantly, we just had our Blue & gold banquet a few weeks ago and THAT was the menu! Only we did chicken instead of meatballs. But it's the same. BOOOORRRRRIINGGG.

I want to tactfully request another option- even grilled hamburgers/cheeseburgers sounds better to me than spaghetti and meatballs again. I found a recipe for Sloppy Joes...but was wondering if anyone has tasty, EASY/Quick camping food that is easy to adjust for over 100, and we cook on those large camp-stoves that can have a flat-griddle top, or has 4-6 propane burners. We don't cook over the fire, because it's just too hard with that size of a group. We won't be taking our large pig-cooker since it's a 4 hr trip. And we'll be coming back from a day at the historic sites, so ideally something not too involved.

Suggestions? Websites?
Anyone have any ideas how to do a large pot lasagna? I'd love to figure out a way to modify our skillet lasagna to feed a crowd.

Hot dogs and chili, perhaps? My husband has taken our boys' group from church on many campouts. When they are with other "troops", they often have a chili cook-off type competition going.

Good luck!

No real suggestions, but you may find this website helpful in your meal planning, and determining how much food you need for your size group.

http://www.hemlockhillsgatlinburgresort.com/large_group_recipes.html

When you do decide on a menu, don't forget to go to a site such as AllRecipes.com and find recipes that you can adjust for the number of people in your group.

The lasagna thing sounds great but very familiar dontcha know? How about simply doing hot dogs and tater tot casserole.

32 ounces tatter tots NOT thawed
16 ounces sour cream
1 can cream of whatever soup - usually this is mushroom but potato, cerery or even chicken works well
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
a bit of salt and pepper

Simply mix it all together, pop it in the Rectangular Baker and throw it in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. OR QUADRUPLE IT and put it in the Roaster for about and hour and a half.

pampered1224 said:
The lasagna thing sounds great but very familiar dontcha know? How about simply doing hot dogs and tater tot casserole.

32 ounces tatter tots NOT thawed
16 ounces sour cream
1 can cream of whatever soup - usually this is mushroom but potato, cerery or even chicken works well
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
a bit of salt and pepper

Simply mix it all together, pop it in the Rectangular Baker and throw it in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. OR QUADRUPLE IT and put it in the Roaster for about and hour and a half.

That would be great- except we're on a campout- in Basic Tent accomodations, with 40 families (120+ people). :(

We've done tin foil meals before when camping. Basically a ball of meat with what ever toppings (potatoes, carrots, peppers, onions, etc), wrapped in tin foil and fix over hot coals. Everybody could make their own packet and put their name on it. Or each family could make a larger packet for themselves.

I have cooked on a 4-day campout for 120 before. I usually do:
1) Taco Salad -- always a hit
2) Spaghetti
3) Oriental Chicken Salad
4) PC BLT Mac & Cheese

I want to change out the Mac & Cheese this year b/c the pots are NASTY to clean out. :grumpy: (anyone have any ideas?) I cook and freeze all meat b/f we leave. I am attaching the Taco Salad I do that is figured for 120 if you are interested.

Sandi

Attachments

• Taco Salad for 120.doc
    19 KB · Views: 806
Pancakes are always a hit! You can mix batter ahead in ziploc bags and will be the hit of every scout and dad! Bring a jar or two of sweet sprinkles and you've got a PC hit on your hands!!

I guess my question then is this, if you were to have spaghetti, how are you cooking the noddles and sauce? Anything similar to spaghetti sauce, like chili, sloppy joes, some sort of stew from the Soups, Stews and Chili recipes, campfire beans, with a sauce would be the same cooking method.

Last edited:
check out razzledazzlerecipes they have camping recipes and recipes for a crowd

We make an awesome "camping hash"

Brown hash brown potatoes(diced or shredded)
add onions, corn, (any vegis you like really)
hamburger or sliced up ring sausage
Bind it with eggs.

It is great with ketchup or salsa. Feeds a ton and is easy to strech with more vegis or eggs. Do it all on the griddle.

sandilou said:
I have cooked on a 4-day campout for 120 before. I usually do:
1) Taco Salad -- always a hit
2) Spaghetti
3) Oriental Chicken Salad
4) PC BLT Mac & Cheese

I want to change out the Mac & Cheese this year b/c the pots are NASTY to clean out. :grumpy: (anyone have any ideas?) I cook and freeze all meat b/f we leave. I am attaching the Taco Salad I do that is figured for 120 if you are interested.

Sandi

Taco Salad made me think of something that is always a good hit for us: walking tacos!! All you would have to do is make the meat and set out the toppings! Buy small bags of doritos, crush slightly, top with meat and other toppings and serve with a fork!

wadesgirl said:
Taco Salad made me think of something that is always a good hit for us: walking tacos!! All you would have to do is make the meat and set out the toppings! Buy small bags of doritos, crush slightly, top with meat and other toppings and serve with a fork!

I like that idea alot too. That will probably go great at one of our future events when we'll have a better cooking setup. :D

Walking tacos are ALWAYS a hit!! You can also do a walking chili, too...same concept, only it's chili, served over fritos in a bag, topped with cheese, jalapenos, sour cream....YUM!!

Cincinnati Chili is almost the same only you serve chili over spaghetti noodles with the sour cream, avocado, cheddar cheese.

1. What are some easy and quick meal options for a large group while camping?

Some easy and quick meal options for a large group while camping include foil packet meals, hot dogs and hamburgers, and pre-made sandwiches or wraps. These options require minimal prep and can be cooked over a campfire or grill.

2. Can you recommend any make-ahead meals for a campout with a large group?

Yes, make-ahead meals are a great option for a campout with a large group. Some ideas include chili, spaghetti and meatballs, and pulled pork. These meals can be prepared ahead of time and easily reheated over a campfire or stove.

3. What are some vegetarian options for a campout with a large group?

Some vegetarian options for a campout with a large group include grilled vegetable skewers, veggie burgers, and quinoa salad. These options are delicious and can be easily customized to fit different dietary restrictions.

4. How can I ensure there is enough food for everyone in a large group while camping?

To ensure there is enough food for everyone in a large group while camping, it's important to plan and prepare ahead of time. Consider making larger portions of meals or having backup options available in case more food is needed. It's also helpful to have a rough estimate of the number of people attending the campout.

5. What are some tasty and healthy snack options for a large group while camping?

Some tasty and healthy snack options for a large group while camping include trail mix, fruit and vegetable platters, and homemade energy bars. These snacks provide a good balance of nutrients and are easy to grab and eat on-the-go.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • esavvymom