• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trying Something New: Making Micro-Cakes With Soda!

In summary, people have used soda as an ingredient in a cake mix to make micro-cakes. The combinations people have tried include white cake with diet Sunkist, chocolate cake with diet root beer, and spice cake with diet ginger ale. Toppings can include cool whip with sugar free pudding or Jell-O. Cooking methods include oven and microwave, with the latter being untried by some. A 9 x 13 cake cut into 12 pieces is 3 points per piece according to Weight Watchers.
pcheframsey said:
Is it just the cake mix and soda? Or do you still have to add the egg/veggie oil? Thanks for the clarification!

I was wondering about that too. I'm assuming you wouldn't add the oil or water, but what about the egg? Isn't that what holds it together?

I just did yellow cake mix and orange pop. Nothing else. It turned out yummy, but it was kind of a mess. It stuck in the rice cooker and broke up when I flipped it out. I just cut off the bad part and it was a little cake...probably better that way, anyhow. I wonder what kind of calories we're looking at with diet pop? I'll have to make these more often!

ChefBeckyD said:
Linda - lets just admit it....in our heart of hearts....we are still cake snobs!;)
You are so right! Hello, my name is Linda and I am a cake snob!!!! LOL
....the only micro-cake from a cake mix that I really like is the Peanutty Chocolate Cake that Carolyn (dannyzmom) posted a month or so ago. Probably because it's loaded with sour cream.....I have made that cake about a dozen times and I really do like it! I just keep trying them in hopes that I'll find another one.

jenniferknapp said:
I have an angel food cake in the oven (in my new fluted stone - hoping it won't bake over!!) ....and some sugar free jello mix & fat free whip cream that I am going to try for the frosting.....we'll see! If it tastes yummy, this is a pretty healthy recipe!
The verdict....MMMMMMMMM! The angel food cake rose about 1" above the top of the fluted stone, but didn't bake over! I didn't try it until today, I decided to be good and bring it to work to share. Everyone loved the "frosting!"

pamperedlinda said:
....the only micro-cake from a cake mix that I really like is the Peanutty Chocolate Cake that Carolyn (dannyzmom) posted a month or so ago. Probably because it's loaded with sour cream.....I have made that cake about a dozen times and I really do like it! I just keep trying them in hopes that I'll find another one.

That's me too! I keep thinking if everyone else loves them so much - there must be some good ones out there somewhere! (BTW - my DH is a cake snob too! Probably because I've spoiled him!)

Peanutty Chocolate Cake
pamperedlinda said:

:confused: I have been searching and unable to locate the recipe, would you be so kind to repost it or post a link to the original post here please. Thank you

ChefBeckyD said:
That's me too! I keep thinking if everyone else loves them so much - there must be some good ones out there somewhere! (BTW - my DH is a cake snob too! Probably because I've spoiled him!)
My DH is too! I have to 'practice' my micro-cakes when he is out of town so I can get rid of the evidence before he comes home!

purrbal said:
:confused: I have been searching and unable to locate the recipe, would you be so kind to repost it or post a link to the original post here please. Thank you
Oh, I don't remember the thread it was in, but here's the recipe.....it is so so good....and pretty too!

Peanutty Chocolate Cake
This decadent cake is a cinch to assemble and bakes up in a flash in the microwave oven.

1 package (18.25 ounces) devil’s food cake mix
1 container (16 ounces, 2 cups) sour cream
3 eggs
8 or 9 Reeses peanut butter cup candies
½ cup peanut butter
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons peanuts, chopped

1. Lightly spray Stoneware Fluted Pan with vegetable oil using Kitchen Spritzer or brush with vegetable oil using Chef’s Silicone Basting Brush.

2. In Classic Batter Bowl, combine sour cream and eggs; whisk until smooth using Stainless Steel Whisk. Add cake mix to sour cream mixture; mix until smooth using Mix 'N Scraper. Using Large Scoop, place 12 scoops of batter into bottom of pan; spread evenly. Arrange peanut butter cup candies in a circular pattern over batter. Top with remaining cake batter, spreading evenly.

3. Microwave cake on HIGH 11-14 minutes or until Cake Tester inserted near center comes out clean. (Cake will be slightly moist on top.) Remove to Stackable Cooling Rack; let stand 10 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan. Carefully invert cake onto serving platter.

4. Place peanut butter in Small Micro-Cooker®. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds or until melted; stir until smooth using Skinny Scraper. Pour peanut butter evenly over top of cake, allowing it to drip down sides.

5. Place chocolate morsels and oil in same micro-cooker. Microwave on HIGH 20-40 seconds or until melted and smooth. Drizzle chocolate evenly over peanut butter topping. Coarsely chop peanuts using Food Chopper; sprinkle over top of cake.

Yield: 12 servings or 20 sample servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 450, Total Fat 25 g, Saturated Fat 12 g, Cholesterol 115 mg, Carbohydrate 45 g, Protein 10 g, Sodium 500 mg, Fiber 2 g

Cook’s Tips: To easily drizzle chocolate, place a small resealable plastic food storage bag inside Measure-All® Cup. Pour melted chocolate into corner of bag. Twist top of bag; secure with Twixit! Clip. Using Kitchen Shears, cut a small tip off corner of bag to allow the chocolate to flow through.

To bake in a conventional oven, preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake 40-45 minutes or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean.

If using a microwave oven without a built-in turntable, rotate cake after 6 minutes of cooking.

©The Pampered Chef, Ltd., 2001

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

pamperedlinda said:

Okay Linda! Based on your recommendation, I'm going to try this one! Just have to buy PB cups!

We just finished off our orange cake...next try is going to be diet pepsi/chocolate cake mix. I have some leftover chocolate frosting from a different recipe...should I scoop this on top of the mix before I nuke it? This micro cake thing is so novel to me! I'm starting to really enjoy my nuker!

<h2>What are the favorite combinations for making micro-cakes with soda?</h2><p>Some popular combinations include chocolate cake mix with a can of Coca-Cola, lemon cake mix with a can of Sprite, and yellow cake mix with a can of Mountain Dew. However, feel free to experiment with different flavors of cake mix and soda to find your own favorite combination!</p><h2>What do these micro-cakes taste like?</h2><p>The taste will vary depending on the combination of cake mix and soda used, but in general, the cakes have a slightly lighter and fluffier texture compared to traditional cakes. They also have a subtle flavor from the soda, which adds a unique twist to the taste.</p><h2>Is the texture of micro-cakes similar to traditional cakes?</h2><p>The texture of micro-cakes can vary depending on the mix and soda used, but in general, they have a slightly denser and moister texture compared to traditional cakes. Some people also find that they have a slightly chewy texture due to the carbonation in the soda.</p><h2>Do you make micro-cakes in a rice cooker or a fluted stone?</h2><p>You can make micro-cakes in both a rice cooker and a fluted stone. However, the rice cooker method may produce a more consistent and evenly cooked cake, while the fluted stone may give the cake a crispy crust. It is up to personal preference which method you use.</p>

What are the favorite combinations for making micro-cakes with soda?

Some popular combinations include chocolate cake mix with a can of Coca-Cola, lemon cake mix with a can of Sprite, and yellow cake mix with a can of Mountain Dew. However, feel free to experiment with different flavors of cake mix and soda to find your own favorite combination!

What do these micro-cakes taste like?

The taste will vary depending on the combination of cake mix and soda used, but in general, the cakes have a slightly lighter and fluffier texture compared to traditional cakes. They also have a subtle flavor from the soda, which adds a unique twist to the taste.

Is the texture of micro-cakes similar to traditional cakes?

The texture of micro-cakes can vary depending on the mix and soda used, but in general, they have a slightly denser and moister texture compared to traditional cakes. Some people also find that they have a slightly chewy texture due to the carbonation in the soda.

Do you make micro-cakes in a rice cooker or a fluted stone?

You can make micro-cakes in both a rice cooker and a fluted stone. However, the rice cooker method may produce a more consistent and evenly cooked cake, while the fluted stone may give the cake a crispy crust. It is up to personal preference which method you use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kristina16marie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
jla8279
  • SusanBP0129
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
SusanBP0129
  • SusanBP0129