• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is the best substitute for Cajun seasoning in recipes?

In summary, the seasoned cheffers are looking for a good substitute for the old Cajun seasoning because they are cooking the cajun chili cornbread skillet in their groovy 12" skillet at a show. They suggest using the Southwest Cornbread recipe or Tony Cacheres seasoning from the grocery store.
c00p
Gold Member
Ok all of you "seasoned" cheffers (ha, no pun intended!)....I'm looking for a GOOD substitute for the old Cajun seasoning because I'm wanting to cook the cajun chili cornbread skillet in my groovy 12" skillet at a show. Should I just use the Southwest and maybe add a habanero to the mixture for some more smoky heat??? Ideas please!

bumping....

I use Tony Cacheres seasoning from the grocery store at home we cook cajun food alot and its what all my friends from Louisiana use I'd just substitute it and not mention it called for the cajun seasoning by PC

In one of our cookbooks (MAIN DISHES & MORE) we have a recipe for Jamaican Pork Tenderloin. Would that recipe be cajun? If so, here is the recipe for the seasoning:
4 teaspoons chili powder; 1 tablespoon salt; 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon; 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Mix into 1 tablespoon of oil and brush on your meat, or combine with your vegetables, and roast. It is a great recipe to do in our DCB. I believe that recipe book has been retired, so if it meets your needs, let me know and
I can post the recipe.

I also have a Southwest Cornbread recipe which gets its flavor from the red and green peppers and the shredded cheddar cheese. It does not have a spice to give it kick.
I have made it in our 10" skillet but it did not rise as well as when I baked it in our stoneware in the oven.

The Jamaican Jerk isn't really anything like the old Cajun seasoning was - but thanks for the suggestion!

Teresa Lynn said:
I use Tony Cacheres seasoning from the grocery store at home we cook cajun food alot and its what all my friends from Louisiana use I'd just substitute it and not mention it called for the cajun seasoning by PC
I can't find this at my local stores here in Indep., MO.

Any other suggestions?

Email the test kitchens and see what they suggest.

From Allrecipes.com: (really, if you are looking for any kind of recipe, this is the best place to turn to!)

CAJUN SEASONING MIX

INGREDIENTS

* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Stir together salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes until evenly blended. Store in an airtight container.

ChefBeckyD said:
From Allrecipes.com: (really, if you are looking for any kind of recipe, this is the best place to turn to!)

CAJUN SEASONING MIX

INGREDIENTS

* 2 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Stir together salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme, and red pepper flakes until evenly blended. Store in an airtight container.

Love this website!!! It's the best!

Thanks Becky! I look out there a lot for recipes, but I never even thought of making my own "seasoning"!!!

What is Cajun seasoning and how is it typically used?

Cajun seasoning is a blend of spices and herbs commonly used in Cajun and Creole cuisine. It usually includes ingredients like paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme. It is often used to season meats, seafood, and vegetables, and can also be added to soups, stews, and sauces for a spicy flavor.

What are the main ingredients in Cajun seasoning?

The exact ingredients in Cajun seasoning may vary, but most blends typically include a combination of paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and thyme. Some blends may also include additional ingredients like celery salt, red pepper flakes, or dried herbs.

Can I make my own Cajun seasoning at home?

Yes, you can easily make your own Cajun seasoning at home using common pantry spices. There are many different recipes available online that you can follow, or you can experiment with different spice combinations to find your preferred flavor profile.

What can I use as a substitute for Cajun seasoning?

If you don't have Cajun seasoning on hand, you can make a simple substitute by combining equal parts of paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme. You can also use other spice blends like Creole seasoning or blackened seasoning as a substitute for Cajun seasoning.

Are there any health benefits to using Cajun seasoning?

Cajun seasoning is generally low in calories and contains a variety of spices that may have various health benefits. For example, cayenne pepper has been linked to improved digestion and metabolism, while garlic and onion powder may have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. However, the overall health benefits of Cajun seasoning will depend on the specific ingredients in the blend and how much is used in a dish.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • jrodeo
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • nikked