• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Needing Encouragement: Struggles of a Consultant

In summary, the author is discouraged about their business and feels like they have not been able to get anyone to book a show other than a catalog show. They started this business not knowing a lot of people and their current situation does not look good. They suggest focusing on cooking shows as a better marketing option and increasing your list of 100 customers. If you think you can, or you think you can't ... you're probably right!
ChefAndiHV
Gold Member
I need a little encouragement today. I am bummed about my business. I have been a Consultant since October 29 of last year and things are not going well. December was my best month with about $ 1200 in sales, and things have not been the same since. I have not been able to get anyone to book a show other than a catalog show. I had one hopeful for March but that fell through and now I do not know what to do. I have the Dots Catalog tote that I carry everywhere with me, but no one seems to want to ask me about PC. I am at a loss for how to better market my business. I need some pointers. I started this business not knowing a lot of people. My Mom has had a catalog show at work, I did one at work and no body bought anything. My supervisor did a catalog show through her church and I had two others lined up for November that never produced any sales. I am sorry to be so long winded. Please help if you can, and if not I would just like to say thanks for listening to me vent . :(

Catalog shows are often dead ends. Cooking shows are where you need to focus your time and energy. It's okay for YOU to initiate a conversation with a stranger out in public. If you catch someone looking at your tote bag, offer them a catalog to get the conversation rolling. If they say how much they like PC, suggest that they consider hosting a show to earn stuff for free and at a discount! Once you get the booking snowball started, it's easier to keep it rolling. If you can get 2-3 shows with strangers, you should be able to get 2-6 (or more) bookings off of those shows, then 2-12 off those shows, etc. It just keeps getting bigger & bigger & BIGGER!!!If you think you can, or you think you can't ... you're probably right! ;)

Oh ... when you are carrying your catalog tote, make sure you look approachable. If you look frustrated & in a hurry, no one will stop to talk. If you make eye contact with strangers, smile, etc. you are more likely to strike up a conversation with them. ;)

Also, work on your list of 100!! Put people on there without the judgement of a "YES" or "NO" then start calling, using a positive voice and a smile. Ask everyone! Wear Logo clothing everywhere, take your catalog tote everywhere! Bless a business with your goodies (and catalogs). Host your own Spring Show. Think outside the box. Do a booth/craft fair. Look on here in the files section under bookings. Good luck!! :)

I have been having this same problem!!!! I was ready to hang up my apron from the frustration and I had a conversation with my husband that has sparked 3 shows for me. Also, my Director helped me out tremendously just by getting me to think. I have approached March, April and May with a "think outside of the box" mentality. Think of ways to get people to want to "spruce up their kitchen." Everyone is looking for ways to save, so if you can help them see that our products truly save money (and time), they will really start coming to you!

Have you hosted your own show, and invited everyone you know?

I'd start there - make it a Celebration of Spring. Show off the new products (borrow from your director/recruiter if you don't have them yourself) and new recipes. Make it a Mystery Host party, and draw for the host benefits - look in the files here and on other threads about doing a Mystery Host Show. They can be a ton of fun. Have a gift (something small - SB or QK knife,etc...) for everyone who brings a friend with them to the party. Make up an invitation that sounds fun and exciting!

I often have a hard time initiating conversations with strangers. What I will do is carry recipe cards with me with my information on them and give them to cashiers at the grocery store or waitresses or the people at the post office. I'll tell them they were so funny or great service, etc. and offer them a recipe card. I tell them that I am from PC have they heard of us? And then go on from there :)

Contact everyone who bought products from you in December. Call them and tell them that PC has added 28 new fabulous products that just became available for order this month. Tell them how excited you are that they have added new BBQ grilling products and tell them what they are. Tell them that you have an order going in on ________ and you wanted to give them the opportunity to place an order. Let them know about the guest special if their order totals $60 or more and then tell them you will gift them a brand new season's best...and rave about the chipolte chili cornbread bake in the DCB that is made right in the microwave!I am sure you will find some who would love to order and be thrilled that you called them.

Okay, here's a suggestion that NEVER fails for me when I start falling into that self-defeating mode:

Go directly to one of your local schools tomorrow.....TOMORROW.....go to the office, ask to speak to someone about doing a fundraiser for________________ (fill in the blank....football team's upcoming trip, 3rd grade field trip, does not matter...be creative). Have all of your fundraising materials with you OR wing it girl. Look under files on here and print out the matrix letter that explains what the return on fundraisers would be if there were 20 or 40 people/parents involved. Be excited when you talk to them, be encouraging that you CAN raise x number of dollars for them and DO IT! This gives you a lot of exposure to new people (working with the parents) and if the school isn't interested go immediately to your local Parks and Recreation Department and ask about fundraising for their travel teams. Find the local ballet school who might want to raise money to send their students to study at Disney World, etc. etc. but here's the secret......JUST DO IT!!! You CAN! When I'm feeling less than confident, I call on my high school acting skills from Drama Class (I'm 51 now if that tells you anything) and I just CREATE my character: Susy Sellsalot. Then I become her; confident and knowledgeable and excited and enthusiastic....even if in the back of my mind I'm screaming to myself "what am I doing here??!!!". Your business is your stage and you are the main character. Try it. Dress as if you're "going on stage" (logo wear, catalog tote, etc), rehearse your script and then walk out onto that stage and get that $3,000 fundraiser! Please promise me you'll try this approach. It has NEVER failed me, not even once. I can't put too much thought in it. I just decide the night before and then hit the road no later than 10:00 A.M. to get it done. Guess what sugar....I TOO started my business in October in a very, very rural area where I don't know anyone! This WORKS every time. Become the "go to" fundraiser girl in your area and you'll make 40+ contacts doing each fundraiser and voila....your customer database increases expontentially! Good luck. Please let me know how you make out TOMORROW! No more excuses, only successes!!!! Love you fellow cheffer:) Val

ChefVal said:
Okay, here's a suggestion that NEVER fails for me when I start falling into that self-defeating mode:

Go directly to one of your local schools tomorrow.....TOMORROW.....go to the office, ask to speak to someone about doing a fundraiser for________________ (fill in the blank....football team's upcoming trip, 3rd grade field trip, does not matter...be creative). Have all of your fundraising materials with you OR wing it girl. Look under files on here and print out the matrix letter that explains what the return on fundraisers would be if there were 20 or 40 people/parents involved. Be excited when you talk to them, be encouraging that you CAN raise x number of dollars for them and DO IT! This gives you a lot of exposure to new people (working with the parents) and if the school isn't interested go immediately to your local Parks and Recreation Department and ask about fundraising for their travel teams. Find the local ballet school who might want to raise money to send their students to study at Disney World, etc. etc. but here's the secret......JUST DO IT!!! You CAN! When I'm feeling less than confident, I call on my high school acting skills from Drama Class (I'm 51 now if that tells you anything) and I just CREATE my character: Susy Sellsalot. Then I become her; confident and knowledgeable and excited and enthusiastic....even if in the back of my mind I'm screaming to myself "what am I doing here??!!!". Your business is your stage and you are the main character. Try it. Dress as if you're "going on stage" (logo wear, catalog tote, etc), rehearse your script and then walk out onto that stage and get that $3,000 fundraiser! Please promise me you'll try this approach. It has NEVER failed me, not even once. I can't put too much thought in it. I just decide the night before and then hit the road no later than 10:00 A.M. to get it done. Guess what sugar....I TOO started my business in October in a very, very rural area where I don't know anyone! This WORKS every time. Become the "go to" fundraiser girl in your area and you'll make 40+ contacts doing each fundraiser and voila....your customer database increases expontentially! Good luck. Please let me know how you make out TOMORROW! No more excuses, only successes!!!! Love you fellow cheffer:) Val

This is GREAT, Val!!!! I am going to try this myself!

Okay Chef Andi.....how did it go? I prayed for you all day! I'll bet you did great, but even if that didn't work for you please post here so we can continue to help you get going. That's why we're ALL on here...for mutual support! :)

ChefAndi, one thing I want to mention is that WE ALL go through our ups and downs in this business--every single one of us. You, however, are very fortunate to belong to such a wonderfully supportive forum. We are all here for you. It is amazing, when you least expect it your business will turn around.Another suggestion for getting bookings/orders "outside" of your circle, is to Pamper a Business. Check the FILE section and you'll see lots of postings about it. Hang in there, read all the advice you get here, and know that you are not alone and we've all been there. You can do it. This is a wonderful company with wonderful products that everyone loves. Try various approaches, and Good Luck!!!

I have been sick this week, but I will try your ideas on Monday and let everyone know how they go. Thanks to all for your kind words. Sometimes all you need is to know someone else is on your side.

1. How can I stay motivated when facing challenges as a consultant?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, it's important to remember your "why" and the reasons you joined this business. Remind yourself of your goals and the positive impact you can have on others through this opportunity. It's also helpful to connect with other consultants for support and advice.

2. What do I do when I feel discouraged by low sales or bookings?

First, don't be too hard on yourself. Remember that every consultant experiences slow periods and it's not a reflection of your abilities. Reach out to your upline for guidance on boosting sales and bookings, and consider hosting virtual parties or offering incentives to customers.

3. How do I handle rejection from potential customers or hosts?

Rejection is a normal part of any sales business. Remember to stay positive and don't take it personally. Use it as an opportunity to improve your presentation and approach. Also, don't be afraid to ask for feedback from those who decline your offers.

4. How can I balance my personal life with my consultant responsibilities?

It's important to prioritize and set boundaries to maintain a healthy work-life balance. Schedule dedicated time for your business, but also make time for yourself and your loved ones. Remember that taking care of yourself and your relationships can ultimately benefit your business in the long run.

5. What can I do to overcome self-doubt and imposter syndrome as a consultant?

Many consultants struggle with self-doubt and feeling like they don't belong in this role. It's important to recognize your strengths and achievements, and to focus on personal growth rather than comparison to others. Seek out training and support from your upline or fellow consultants to build your confidence and skills.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MrsKristee
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
gailz2
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
raebates