• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Thaw and Brown Ground Turkey in the Microwave?

In summary, the ground turkey can be microwaved in the micro-cooker, but it might take longer than usual. It is also possible to cook pasta in the micro-cooker.
4kids4me
I have a pound of frozen ground turkey and want to thaw and brown it in the microwave. Can I do this in the micro-cooker, and if so, for how long?

TIA!!!!

Here's a partial answer for you:
Yes, you can. But I don't know how long it takes (I've not done it before). I'd start with 2 minutes, give it a stir, then go for another 2 minutes. Keep doing that until all the pink is gone.

I do mine in the classic batter bowl. Just put it in the bowl with lid on and then microwave for 4 minutes. Take out and stir and put it an additional 4 minutes. Stir and then I normally put it back in for 2-3 minutes and it is done.

I just tried hamburger in the micro-cooker the other day. It was partially thawed and only took about 5 min. I drained and rinsed it and it was wonderful!

Sheryl

This is one of my selling points for the micro-cookers. I always guests they can put the ground beef/turkey in the micro-cooker and microwave on high for 1 min.-stir-1 min.-stir etc. Since the lid has holes in it just turn the cooker over to drain.

You girls rock! I did it! I used the micro-cooker and drained all the fat that way. Yahoo, I am NEVER going to brown meat on the stove again! It always grossed me out, lol. I am making the taco ring for the first time tonight. The med scoop worked perfectly! It looks so cute that I'm almost sad it's just me and the 4 kids tonight to enjoy it, lol. My 5 and under crowd aren't terribly appreciative, kwim? But my 5 yo is quickly becoming my best salesperson! She talks about Pampered Chef all the time - in public at the grocery store with strangers, lol. I know one day it will turn into a sale! SHe is most impressed with the prep bowls where she makes the 1 min omlets and we do the brownie desserts. :)

Wow I really digressed there, sorry!

That's awesome! Get them indoctrinated into the world of quality kitchen tools while they're young!

chefann said:
That's awesome! Get them indoctrinated into the world of quality kitchen tools while they're young!
Haha, absolutely! She likes to call her cousins and grandparents on Sat nights, and she was telling them how she used the "Easy Ants Decorator" for her sour cream, lol. :) She's getting there! Seriously, every night when we sit down to eat she asks me if it's a "Pampered Chef Dinner" and what I used to make it. She gives me good practice! I've only been doing this less than 2 months. :)

I brown hamburger in the micro-cooker for my shows as well. I know I can brown it in a skillet, but it splatters all over their stove, and honestly, most people don't know you can brown meat in a micro-cooker till you show them.

You can also make scrambled eggs in them. I don't cook eggs in the batter bowls, they are hard to clean up, but in the micro-cooker, they come right out.

But I do cook pasta in the batter bowl all the time. Classic batter bowl (10 minutes to heat water, 10 minutes with pasta in it). Small batter bowl for Ramen noodle soup (5 minutes to heat water, 5 minutes with pasta in it). Works great.

You can put the covers from the batter bowls in the microwave? They won't melt? I should probably know this bit of info after almost 2 years.:confused:

genburk said:
I brown hamburger in the micro-cooker for my shows as well. I know I can brown it in a skillet, but it splatters all over their stove, and honestly, most people don't know you can brown meat in a micro-cooker till you show them.

You can also make scrambled eggs in them. I don't cook eggs in the batter bowls, they are hard to clean up, but in the micro-cooker, they come right out.

But I do cook pasta in the batter bowl all the time. Classic batter bowl (10 minutes to heat water, 10 minutes with pasta in it). Small batter bowl for Ramen noodle soup (5 minutes to heat water, 5 minutes with pasta in it). Works great.

LOVE the idea of doing this for shows - I bet I"d sell a few of these at every show! And pasta in there, too? A whole box? OMG that's really cool! Going to try that tomorrow. Thanks!

I do sell micro-cookers when I cook hamburger in it for the taco ring.

You can cook a whole pound of spaghetti in the classic batter bowl.

Micro-cookers are on my top 20 bestsellers list, and I've never even brought mine to a show.......I'd rather sell a one or two pieces of cookware than 6 micro-cookers, because that is a gateway to bigger and better sales of more cookware! The micro-cookers seem to pretty much sell themselves.

I agree 100%, but after browning hamburger on my first host's (just happened to be my Mother-in-law as well) stove and splattering grease, then trying to pour it off, having a hot skillet to deal with, and a few spots for her to remove off of her flat top stove (It was like the burnt grease or food stain, that has to be scrubbed with the special cleaner to get it off - but not even sure it was from me), I decided that the micro-cookers were better for me to cook with, when it comes to browning hamburger.

I would much rather promote the cookware, and I tell my story about it, than make more mess in their kitchen while waiting for it to brown. I do clean up, but what if I miss a little?

Last edited:
Is there an advantage to browning the meat in the cookware vs the micro-cooker?

I tell the host to brown it in advance, or I bring it myself already browned.

That is much easier !!

4kids4me said:
Is there an advantage to browning the meat in the cookware vs the micro-cooker?

Cookware - $38-$125 item to demo(and an opportunity to sell more of the collection)......microcooker - $6.50 - $9.00 item to demo($20 if you include the rice cooker), and that's the whole collection!

Well, I too would rather sell the cookware than the micro-cookers, but the chances of everyone at a show buying a piece of cookware is slim, where as if I can get 10 people to spend $15.50 each for the two pieces, then I definately push it.

I do up to 3 lbs. frozen hamburger in the large micro cooker for 8-12 minutes without checking on it and draining it at all in between. I LOVE it, and use it mostly every day. Also, my second favorite thing in the micro cookers is skinless boneless chicken. Fill to top of chicken with water and same time as the burger. It is so moist and tender, people just cannot believe it!

pchefkristin said:
Well, I too would rather sell the cookware than the micro-cookers, but the chances of everyone at a show buying a piece of cookware is slim, where as if I can get 10 people to spend $15.50 each for the two pieces, then I definately push it.

I do up to 3 lbs. frozen hamburger in the large micro cooker for 8-12 minutes without checking on it and draining it at all in between. I LOVE it, and use it mostly every day. Also, my second favorite thing in the micro cookers is skinless boneless chicken. Fill to top of chicken with water and same time as the burger. It is so moist and tender, people just cannot believe it!

Would that work with frozen chicken breasts?? Thanks!

You betcha! Give it a try, I think you will be mildly surprised at how wonderful the chicken really is!

I too have done chicken in mine, but would have been afraid of frozen chicken, because it sometimes get tough if you cook it too fast. I will have to try this, with the water. Thanks !!

WOW the pasta thing! I was looking for info on nuking pasta one day and couldn't find it...now I know!

For the browning meat thing, don't you break it up? I hate my ground meat to be all lumpy! When I cook it on the stove, I don't stop chopping it up until it's done! But the micro cooker for the draining...now THAT appeals to me...and the micro is my new best friend!

Came home from work, and tried the frozen chicken in the water in the micro-cooker. Worked great !! Thanks, I had to cook it a little longer than 12 minutes, because it was one huge chicken breast, but it was tender. I will use this trick for the frozen chicken, because although I have a system for dinner, I haven't used it lately, so I have been waiting till the last minute to figure out what to cook. Thanks again.

What is the best way to brown meat in the microwave?

The best way to brown meat in the microwave is to use the "browning" setting on your microwave. This will allow the meat to cook evenly and develop a nice golden color.

How long does it take to brown meat in the microwave?

The time it takes to brown meat in the microwave will vary depending on the type and thickness of the meat. It is recommended to check the meat every 2-3 minutes and rotate it for even browning.

Can I use any type of meat for browning in the microwave?

Yes, you can use any type of meat for browning in the microwave. However, it is important to consider the thickness and cut of the meat to ensure it cooks evenly and thoroughly.

Do I need to add oil or butter when browning meat in the microwave?

No, you do not need to add oil or butter when browning meat in the microwave. The microwaving process will naturally render the fat in the meat, creating a flavorful browning effect.

Are there any special tools or containers needed for browning meat in the microwave?

No, you do not need any special tools or containers for browning meat in the microwave. However, it is recommended to use a microwave-safe dish or container with a lid to prevent splattering and to help retain moisture in the meat.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• freetofly06
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Shawnna
  • chefpenny99
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • minirottie